Windows 10: PC stuck at POST (Power-On Self-Test)

Discus and support PC stuck at POST (Power-On Self-Test) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello So i ran into a weird issue today. When i powered on my PC it got stuck at the POST (Power-On Self-Test) screen just before you enter the OS.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mikey89, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Mikey89 Win User

PC stuck at POST (Power-On Self-Test)

Hello

So i ran into a weird issue today. When i powered on my PC it got stuck at the POST (Power-On Self-Test) screen just before you enter the OS.

After 3-4 minutes it loaded into the OS. I had this issue back on Windows 7 also. I'm thinking it's the HDD. I have 2 HDDs :

1) Seagate 2TB SATA 3 HDD - 5 years old
    2) Western Digital 250GB SATA 2 HDD - 13 years old

Could it be that my 13 year old WD 250GB is failing ?

This also happened back on Windows 7 but on Windows 7 if i remember right the POST stopped at checking the DVD WRITER and after a few minutes it got into the OS and back then i thought it was the DVD WRITER but i'm not so sure anymore.

Now it stopped after checking everything and had to wait 3-4 minutes. I tried restarting a few times to replicate the issue but i was unable to.

Also this does not happen every day, it's random like 1 time every 3 weeks or so.

Would really need some help with this because i don't know if my 13 year old HDD is the culprit. Someone told me older HDDs don't spin up right away and that's why it needs 3-4 minutes.

:)

Mikey89, Jan 27, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jan 27, 2020
  3. jds63 Win User
    Lost Power, now PC won't boot. Powers on and clicks.

Hope for sure it is the Power Supply without testing it and the checking the Graphics Card.

jds63, Jan 27, 2020
  4. PC stuck at POST (Power-On Self-Test)

Stuck in Reboot loop after power cut

Hi,

We understand your concern and appreciate the time and effort that you have invested in to fix the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to state which troubleshooting steps have you performed bedsides the mentioned to fix the issue.

As per the description, I suspect that you might be stuck in a reboot loop. I suggest that you perform Power Drain and check if it helps

• Unplug the charger and remove the battery of your laptop, if using a desktop remove the power cord.
    • Press and hold the Power button for 30sec
    • Plug the charger/power cord and restart system

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

PC stuck at POST (Power-On Self-Test)

1. PC stuck at POST (Power-On Self-Test) - Similar Threads - stuck POST Power

2. Motherboard no power or POST

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard no power or POST: I recently built an retro gaming pc with MSI ms-7596 760GM-E51. when I plug in the 24-pin power and 4 pin power, it didn't post, I have already checked things like switch on the PSU and plugged in the front panel POWER SW to its right orientation, and even tried a different...
  3. Fix BIOS Power-On Self-Test (POST) errors on Windows 10 systems

in Windows 10 News
    Fix BIOS Power-On Self-Test (POST) errors on Windows 10 systems: If when you boot your Windows 10 device and the computer fails to boot successfully and throws any of the BIOS Power-On Self-Test (POST) error codes, then this post is intended to help you with the solution you can try to resolve the issue. [ATTACH] Fix BIOS Power-On...
  4. test post - please delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    test post - please delete: just wanted to see the email address to look out for in my inbox for when someone replies to a previous post. Going to delete this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/test-post-please-delete/d037648c-10b8-4915-a5c0-66b4d1d7bd23
  5. Test post, plz ignore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Test post, plz ignore: Testing stupid automod submitted by /u/Froggypwns [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f7uoz6/test_post_plz_ignore/
  6. Short Self Test unsuccessful

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Short Self Test unsuccessful: Hi, I have a 6+ years old Dell Inspiron laptop, which has the following 3 OSes installed: 1. Windows 10 2. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 3. OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Today while trying to boot into Windows the following error showed up: error: failure reading sector 0x109002 from `hd0'....
  7. Testing /INTEGRITYCHECK using self signed exe

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Testing /INTEGRITYCHECK using self signed exe: I am using /INTEGRITYCHECK linker option for enforcing digital signature check. For testing this property, I created a test certificate using makecert, added it as trusted publisher. Then signed the exe with /INTEGRITYCHECK using this certificate. But when I try to run it,...
  8. PC powering down by it self

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC powering down by it self: Since upgrading my PC from Windows 7 ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. my PC will randomly power down then restart automatically often. Any suggestions? I ruled out issues with the sleep mode. (now turned off)...
  9. PC stuck trying to fix its self

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC stuck trying to fix its self: Hello, I don't know what's going on. But I installed a MultiSeat program from my computer. Now it's stuck on trying to repair it's self. I can't get past the trouble shooting screen. I've looked up many options. I've tried to get into safe mode to delete the programs. When I...
  10. PC Restarts Itself, then Stuck on POST

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Restarts Itself, then Stuck on POST: Hi, my sister's PC has been seriously unstable over this month. PC oftenly restarts itself and then stuck on POST. At first, this is only happening max. once in a day. Now it got worse, I can't even use Windows more than 30 minutes, as the PC will restart again and stuck. The...