Windows 10: PC suddenly freezing and sluggish.

Discus and support PC suddenly freezing and sluggish. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop PC running Windows 10 was fine when I switched it off but the next day won't work properly. It will eventually boot after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by woldsweather, Jan 14, 2017.

1. PC suddenly freezing and sluggish.

My Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop PC running Windows 10 was fine when I switched it off but the next day won't work properly. It will eventually boot after about 10 mins to the desktop but if you hove over the start menu or quicklaunch menu you just get the egg timer. I usually manage to fix most problems with a bit of help but rather stuck here. Any suggestions. I did once manage to get it into safe mode and it was just as sluggish there.

:)

woldsweather, Jan 14, 2017

2. Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

Sluggish mostly, but freezing some as well. Only in directories with x265 or 10 bit.

Everhart_981, Jan 14, 2017
  3. windows freeze

i have recovered my laptop after freezing as mentioned in the posts but after doing all these things my pc is getting freezed again and again as i am working on a college project my pc suddenly get freezed and my whole work gets waste

Abhisheklahoti97, Jan 14, 2017
  4. PC suddenly freezing and sluggish.

You didn't mentioned what you did so I just listed what I would do. Initially reading this I though drive issue.

When it is acting sluggish can you enter task manager. Is anything, (CPU, Memory, Disk) running high?

If you don't have a data back up I would create one. Better safe than sorry.

Recommend chkdsk to scan and report or chkdsk /r to fix.

A major update was pushed out Tuesday. I had it fail on one device several times. May want to confirm Windows Updates is not in some troubled state. Also view Update history to see what has been happening lately. Note any driver updates.

For Windows Update Troubleshooting.
    Type troubleshooting in the Cortana search bar, troubleshooting appears at top.
    Click it, window opens, lower right side "Fix problems with Windows Update", click.
    Window opens, click on “advance”, click on Run as administrator, click “Next”.

Of course it could be an uninvited guest although you mentioned this happens in safe mode as well, would scan with MalwareBytes from MalwareBytes.com

Assuming you have restore points enable you could also try restoring to a week ago to confirm it is not software related.

While not a fix for this issue, an Image backup is always a good idea. Macrium Reflect is used and recommended by many. It is free.

Caledon Ken, Jan 14, 2017
  5. I ran ccleaner,malwarebytes, superantispyware, glary utilities. I have all backed up. I have also since posting done a windows upgrade repair but still have the problem. Trying chkdsk now

6. I did system restore back 2 days and then 4 days before I tried windows upgrade repair.

7. Well if you restored and you've swept for malware then I'll be interested to see chkdsk results. Did task manager show anything unusual?

Caledon Ken, Jan 15, 2017
  8. PC suddenly freezing and sluggish.

I reinstalled windows completely and still have the problem to some extent though not as bad. Boot time was 25 seconds before this happened now 5-7 minutes. Freezing opening folders. Have run memtest and all ok. What else can I try?

woldsweather, Jan 16, 2017
  9. Win10Pro Win User
    What about chkdsk results Caledon Ken asked about?

Win10Pro, Jan 16, 2017
  10. I ran chkdsk but after it finished it all vanished with no results. I googled how to find the results but there was nothing there.

11. Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot.
    Checking file system on E:
    Volume label is OLD HD.
    Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

1496832 file records processed. File verification completed.

9359 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.
    Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    Read failure with status 0xc000000e at offset 0xda01bd3000 for 0x1000 bytes.
    Snapshot was deleted. CHKDSK cannot continue.
    A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. You can try again, but if this problem persists, run an offline scan and fix.

12. Do you have back up of this disk? I would do this first. Better safe than sorry.

Once backed up I would proceed with fix.

Caledon Ken, Jan 16, 2017
  13. PC suddenly freezing and sluggish.

Yes backed up in triplicate. How do you mean proceed with fix? How do I 'Fix' it?

14. If you boot from media, from command prompt(admin) enter chkdsk c: /r
    If from within Windows, open command prompt and you can leave out the c:
    It is implied. You will have to restart to allow access to disk.

Caledon Ken, Jan 16, 2017
  15. How do I specify the (E) drive which is the faulty one?

Thema:

PC suddenly freezing and sluggish.

1. PC suddenly freezing and sluggish. - Similar Threads - suddenly freezing sluggish

2. PC sluggish

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC sluggish: My PC is not performing well. The apps are slow and sometimes its not responding. The computer is only 2 years old and everytime there is an update I make sure that it will install properly. I dont have problem with the driver I want my PC become reliable but it is working...
  3. PC sluggish

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC sluggish: My PC is not performing well. The apps are slow and sometimes its not responding. The computer is only 2 years old and everytime there is an update I make sure that it will install properly. I dont have problem with the driver I want my PC become reliable but it is working...
  4. Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed: Hi, Here's my problem. Over the course of several months, I've noticed a drop in my internet responsiveness. I finally got around to diving into the problem. My first thought was that I picked up a virus. I ran scans with Malware Hunter, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search &...
  5. Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed: Hi, Here's my problem. Over the course of several months, I've noticed a drop in my internet responsiveness. I finally got around to diving into the problem. My first thought was that I picked up a virus. I ran scans with Malware Hunter, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search &...
  6. Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. PC Suddenly Freeze

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC Suddenly Freeze: Hello! Two weeks ago i upgraded my computer to I7 10700k and mobo Asus Z490 Maximus Hero XII Wifi Since then i have a big problem with my computer, is freezing. not responding anymore until i restart it. In most of the cases it's just freezes till restart, but also randomly...
  8. Malware, Reset PC, Sudden Major Sluggish Speeds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Malware, Reset PC, Sudden Major Sluggish Speeds: Here's a story...a few days ago I got hit with malware. Someone got ahold of my PayPal information and tried to buy some things. I'm getting those taken care of. Meanwhile...back in Windows 10 version 1803 (installed on a 120gb SSD, data installed on 1tb HDD) After running...
  9. Malware, Reset PC, Sudden Major Sluggish Speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    Malware, Reset PC, Sudden Major Sluggish Speeds: Here's a story...a few days ago I got hit with malware. Someone got ahold of my PayPal information and tried to buy some things. I'm getting those taken care of. Meanwhile...back in Windows 10 version 1803 (installed on a 120gb SSD, data installed on 1tb HDD) After running...
  10. Windows 10 suddenly sluggish

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 suddenly sluggish: Checked cpu/gpu/hd/memory usage - normal. Changed swap size to recommended - no changes. Ran SFC and fixed everything - still as sluggish. It seems games are running just fine and all, but the general UI and everything else seems so sluggish (the general response time of...