Windows 10: PC Support Reps Tell Users to Uninstall Windows 10

Discus and support PC Support Reps Tell Users to Uninstall Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Being a frequent visitor and contributor to some OEM support forums, let me provide some perspective that is NOT being presented here ... 1) Robots... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Nov 5, 2015.

1. PC Support Reps Tell Users to Uninstall Windows 10

Being a frequent visitor and contributor to some OEM support forums, let me provide some perspective that is NOT being presented here ...

1) Robots reading from scripts, just plain laziness; The few I'm on definitely do NOT present this impression. There are long and detailed threads where the support person is trying one thing after another to help the poster get their machine working. If this is being done by "robots", they are a lot smarter than the rest of us!

2) Only out to sell new machines: The OEM forums I'm one clearly indicate NO interest in selling new machines. Not once have I seen anything evenly remotely like that. Instead, the interest is in getting the person's "old" machine working well under Win10.

3) Don't know much about Win10: While this is often true, that makes the OEM forums no different than others. Most of the in-depth knowledge about how Win10 works is centered in forums like this one, and the MS Insider forum -- where folks have been using Win10 daily for months. But some of the OEM forums are building institutional knowledge about Win10 and you can see that in the responses.

4) Not using Win10 or going back to previous OS: The sad FACT is that while many older machines have upgraded to Win10 OK, many also have not. I have only tried two Win10 upgrades of Win7 machines and both failed -- miserably! An added complication is that some of the OEMs clearly are not interested in providing Win10 drivers for "older" machines, and while this is not a serious problem on some desktops, it CAN be a serious problem on laptops. Folks report stuff like display artifacts, nonworking WiFi, and faulty touchpads -- which (IMHO) renders your laptop pretty much useless. So, of course, if the choice is between running a new OS where the hardware has serious problems vs. running a prior OS where it worked perfectly, the best choice is the second --if what you want is a machine that works, not just Win10 "bragging rights".

As to comparing upgrading an older machine to Win10 like buying a new car with new features -- that's ridiculous! A more apt analogy would be upgrading an old car by adding new features. But what if those new features were unreliable: a new transmission that gets stuck in gears, new windshield wipers that fail in the rain, new headlights that suddenly go out in the dark! Wouldn't an older car where everything worked be superior to an upgraded one where the things fail?

Not everyone has had a "stellar" experience upgrading their older machines to Win10 -- and some just want to get their machine working well, again.

Mark Phelps, Nov 7, 2015

2. Well, the reason I post and get involved in computer tech is that it has become a sheer necessity nowadays to prevent issues in the first place.

I have a nice experiment for you: let your granddaughters persuade local businesses in town to upgrade for free to the latest and greatest Windows 10 *Smile Microsoft will thank you *Smile

On a more serious note, if a new OS could impact your revenues, things are not that simple.

FrozenCursor, Nov 7, 2015
  3. My daughter & son-in-law who runs a fleet of shops has also upgraded to windows 10 with no hassle at all
    They live 80 miles from me and I helped the via e-mail what to do and all 10 computers in their shops upgraded and so did the one in their home.
    They let me do it first once I found all ok they then went ahead and upgraded they also told me no way would they ever go back to windows 7 or 8.1

hTconeM9user, Nov 7, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

PC Support Reps Tell Users to Uninstall Windows 10

How is 10 impacting MS's revenue??

BunnyJ, Nov 7, 2015
  5. Leopard Win User
    I remember when 'customer support' got renamed 'customer care'. I read a very good article that was written by a lawyer who worked for over 20 years in customer relations and revealed that customer reps are trained in the culture of avoidance. Wish I had have kept a link to the article as he revealed a lot of the dirty tricks they use (though lawful) but he also spoke to length about 'scripted responses' , pre-hire education levels and in-house training programs. Having read that article, I can understand the outcome of the investigation done by Laptop Magazine. There is not much 'love' out there for MS support either.

Leopard, Nov 7, 2015
  6. There is more love for grandpa's support *Smile

Peace.

7. GAS
    Gas Win User
    Then you are saying that big brands companies did not work as they should, W10 has been out to be tested for over one year and so called "big Brands" have not been able to tweak the OS or report or cooperate with MS to tailor W10 for theire machines'
    Tell me please what is the "after sell" service for?
    Do we pay for that too?
    And talking about the comparison with the "new car" you should read more carefully, and yes a new OS is most of the times optimized for a less environment impact that means: less power required, less heat produced = more reliability and better user experience even with old machines.

8. markbyrn Win User

Some people like to have the latest features or simply be on the latest possible OS/firmware for their particular hardware. However let's not forget that Microsoft is practically ramming the Win 10 upgrade down people's throats.

markbyrn, Nov 7, 2015
  9. larc919 Win User
    I'm not nearly as concerned about that as about what their plans might be after nearly everybody has 10. Microsoft doesn't have a history of doing things that decrease their income and I don't think 10 will turn out to be an exception.

larc919, Nov 7, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    They will create a botnet with all one billion Windows 10 PC's, causing Cortana to achieve Ultra AI staus, and she will rename herself Skynet. Money is nothing, knowledge(over the user) is real power.
    PC Support Reps Tell Users to Uninstall Windows 10 [​IMG]

Cliff S, Nov 7, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    This is a little off topic.
    It doesn't really matter what operating system you use, you are still going to have issues. I upgraded xubuntu 15.04 to xubuntu 15.10 lost my software & created a screen resolution bug. I tried a few other wily werewolfs & added the xfce4 desktop still the same issue. So, now I am back to Lubuntu 14.04.3 lts and I added XFCE4 desktop and I was able to keep my software & no screen resolution bug. Just for the recorded Linux mint 17.2 rafaela xfce also works. It will be interesting to see if Linux mint 17.3 xfce rosa will have the same issues as xubuntu 15.10.

groze, Nov 7, 2015
  12. Atomic77 Win User
    Its called wow factor. Everyone wants to try the best but then after a while it isn't that great anymore and people will turn away. I for one am one that will stick with it.

Atomic77, Nov 7, 2015
  13. PC Support Reps Tell Users to Uninstall Windows 10

I will stay with Edge Browser and Cortana and watch them both develop knowing I for one stayed with them from the moment I upgraded my system

hTconeM9user, Nov 7, 2015
  14. waltc Win User
    This is not at all surprising because these "support techs" are talking about laptops, exclusively. When an OEM sells you a laptop he will support the operating system it ships with and pretty much nothing else at all. Laptops are usually designed with custom components by the OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) and it is the OEM--not Microsoft--who is responsible for the hardware drivers for those components that will allow the laptop to run the OS it ships with (The device drivers Microsoft ships with Windows are furnished by the device manufacturers.) Laptop OEMs are not at all interested in hiring people to write drivers for an OS a laptop model did not ship with, and they don't want to pay tech-support people to assist customers who decide to replace the native OS with something else. No, what laptop OEMs want is for their customers to buy a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed by them--then they'll be more than happy to help you out--cheerful about it, even....*Wink

Basically, if you own a laptop don't expect your OEM to help you upgrade it to Windows 10. Those of them that are willing to help you upgrade certain of their laptop models to Windows 10 will tell you which models they'll help you with (a small number of them, usually) and they will actually have Windows 10 device drivers for those laptop models posted on their sites. But the general rule with laptops is that OEMs will discourage their customers from upgrading their laptops to any OS that laptop did not ship with--because they don't feel obligated to support any OS other than the one they originally shipped.

If that isn't your cup of tea then don't buy a laptop. Instead, buy a desktop--because in a desktop, especially one you assemble yourself from hand-picked components--you can do anything you want, pretty much. Unlike in laptops, the industry-standard drivers posted on the sites of the device manufacturers (nVidia, AMD, Intel, etc.) will work fine in a desktop. And it will be comparatively easy to upgrade a desktop to Windows 10 because no custom drivers from Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc., are required.

Many people unfortunately assume that laptops are just like desktops, only smaller & portable. Not true in the slightest...it's in the "smaller & portable" nature of laptops that all of the "custom" problems relative to changing OSes accrue. Laptops are the last thing you should buy if you envision upgrading your hardware and OS software in the future--they simply aren't made for that. That's where an industry-standard desktop shines, however. If being portable isn't something you absolutely must have, then be kind to yourself and buy an industry-standard desktop. There simple isn't a better value going in terms of personal computers, imo. I only use laptops when a job requires it.

Even if you don't know much of anything about picking and choosing desktop components, there are sites that can help a novice greatly.

waltc, Nov 7, 2015
  15. I never upgraded any of my previous work computers, although they were all desktops. I have always bought a new computer with the new OS every 3 years or so, did a 'Windows Easy Transfer' (of data), started to use the new computer right away, but kept the old computer in working shape for at least a couple of months as a precautionary measure. I never needed to take advantage of the precautionary measure, but it gave me peace of mind.

The reason I am considering to upgrade my present work computer is that Microsoft is going to SaaS (Software as a Service) for Windows 10. That means that I will be current OS-wise until the hardware stops working, which will be much, much longer than a mere 3 years.

Thema:

1. PC Support Reps Tell Users to Uninstall Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Support Reps Tell

2. PSA: Support Rep says 3 year Extended Service Update is $300

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PSA: Support Rep says 3 year Extended Service Update is $300: Pretty much the title. Talked to a service rep. If you want ESU for three years will cost consumers $350. The more you know. submitted by /u/Low-Reputation-8317 [link] [comments]...
  3. How do I get back to the chat history with a microsoft support rep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get back to the chat history with a microsoft support rep?: after the chat ended it redericted me to a feedback page without the possibility to go back to the chat history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-back-to-the-chat-history-with-a/e71a94d9-1b9e-47da-a17c-84d78c5fd028
  4. I NEED TO TALK TO A REP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I NEED TO TALK TO A REP: I NEED TO DELETE A WORK ACCOUNT THAT HAS TAKEN OVER ADMIN RIGHTS TO CERTAIN APPS AND I DON'T WORK THER ANY MORE. basically, I WANT TO KILL WIN11 AN START OVER. I HAVE TRIED RESTORE DISKS AND EVERY OPTION DESCRIBED BUT I CAN'T GET RID OF THE PROFILE AND IT AS LOCKED ME OUT OF...
  5. Windows 10 tells me that the version support will end shortly.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 tells me that the version support will end shortly.: Hello, I have the following problem with windows 10, I am running version 1909, but when I check the version installed it say version 1903. So Why is windows 10 telling me that support for the version of windows 10 is ending soon. Any help to fix this issue would be...
  6. Windows 10 tells me support for the version is coming to end.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 tells me support for the version is coming to end.: Hello, I run windows 10 1909 but now I get a messge telling me that support for the version of windows 10 that I am running is ending soon. Can someone tell me the version above 1909 please and how I download it. Thanks Matthew...
  7. Incompetent Microsoft Rep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Incompetent Microsoft Rep: This is the worse advisor representing Microsoft, and I needed to highlight her name.. She is useless, and reflects badly on the brand. Her name is Dhanalakshmi. She lent no measurable help, and couldn't care less how long she keeps you waiting. what a wasted resource...
  8. Images for support rep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Images for support rep: No driver updates: [ATTACH] Look at this image, you can see how small windows thinks it is [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/images-for-support-rep/648d02d0-609b-4263-9f04-ab4b40cf618b
  9. Windows keeps deactivating, Microsoft reps just do a slui 4 activation then tell me my...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows keeps deactivating, Microsoft reps just do a slui 4 activation then tell me my...: So I had a windows 7 cd key did the normal upgrade to 10 during the rollout. I had 10 working fine this way for a long time with no deactivation problems. Recently I did a system restore and since then I've had a really irritating issue. My computer has been deactivating once...
  10. HP Support Uninstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP Support Uninstall: Not having a HP PC these two programs are not letting me remove them. Do I need them. (1) HP Support Solutions Framework and (2) HP Support Assistant I believe these were added as 3rd party due to a previous HP Printer installation which I no longer have 27419