Windows 10: PC Switched Off while Defragmenting

Discus and support PC Switched Off while Defragmenting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I was defragmenting my PC and when it was on Pass1: [**]% relocating the electricity went out and though my laptop had full charge it went to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by bishal_gurung, Apr 6, 2020.

1. PC Switched Off while Defragmenting

I was defragmenting my PC and when it was on Pass1: [**]% relocating the electricity went out and though my laptop had full charge it went to defragment all night and switched off somewhere in the morning. I switched on my laptop now and and it displayed "Resuming Windows" and it showed the defragment screen with Pass1:[66]% relocating. It seemed like the process just continued from where it had paused. But I immediately stopped the process as I had work to do and analyzed the disk again. It showed "2% fragmented". I also ran the "chkdsk" which showed that the disk was fine. I just posted here to be sure if nothing was wrong. Just thinking about the potential damage it might do to the files or sectors. I would appreciate anything you guys have to say. Thank you.

**=Numbers I don't know.

Edition- Windows 10 Pro

Version- 1909

:)

bishal_gurung, Apr 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 Defrag Switches

Task Scheduler in Windows 10 uses the following command line for defrag, "%windir%\system32\defrage.exe -c -h -o -$"

1) If I enter defrag /?, the "-$" switch isn't listed. What does it do?

2) The "-o" switch states that it is to "Perform the proper optimization for each media type." However, I can't find anywhere that says what is considered "proper." Is this what causes it to ignore SSD drives?

Thanks,

Wayne

WayneMorgan, Apr 6, 2020
  3. Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Apr 6, 2020
  4. PC Switched Off while Defragmenting

defrag will not open up in windows 10

Hi Fionna,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better please provide us more information.

• Do you received any error message?

• How are you exactly trying to open defragment? Please elaborate the steps.
    • Which drive are you trying to defrag?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple steps and check if you are able to open the defragment. Follow the below steps.

• Go to file explorer and right click on the drive select Properties.
    • Click on Tool tab and click on Optimize and check if you are able to open defragment.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

PC Switched Off while Defragmenting

1. PC Switched Off while Defragmenting - Similar Threads - Switched Off while

2. Encoding on my PC while switching it on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encoding on my PC while switching it on: Good evening everyone. I have got a very big problem in my computer. The picture is given below. Can anyone say how to solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encoding-on-my-pc-while-switching-it-on/17cb6fb0-1499-4e24-8d4d-e5923aacb2e3
  3. Encoding on my PC while switching it on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encoding on my PC while switching it on: Good evening everyone. I have got a very big problem in my computer. The picture is given below. Can anyone say how to solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encoding-on-my-pc-while-switching-it-on/17cb6fb0-1499-4e24-8d4d-e5923aacb2e3
  4. Encoding on my PC while switching it on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC randomly switches off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC randomly switches off: Hi all,My PC is experiencing random shutdowns, it completely switches off at random points throughout the day as if the power went off.It's starting to become more frequent while working.I'm not sure how to debug this so any help with this would be appreciated!...
  6. PC randomly switches off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC randomly switches off: Hi all,My PC is experiencing random shutdowns, it completely switches off at random points throughout the day as if the power went off.It's starting to become more frequent while working.I'm not sure how to debug this so any help with this would be appreciated!...
  7. PC randomly switches off

8. Desktop switches on/off while charging?

Desktop switches on/off while charging?: While plugged in, and idle, the display on its own goes dark and then switches back on. Why is this happening, How do I fix this?Here's what I've tried so far:1 Reinstalled graphic drivers2 Ran DISM.exe- restorehealth3 Updated to the latest windows 10 v 21H1....
  9. Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't: Hi fellow Windows users, so I've been using 1903 for a while but noticed some weird behaviour regarding the default defragment tool. I know Windows 10 normally treats SSD and HDD seperately and will only trim SSDs instead of defragging them. Which is what happens when I try...
  10. ON/OFF SWITCHES

in Windows 10 Customization
    ON/OFF SWITCHES: When making settings, there are often "switches" in an oval shaped box. For example: - Automatically download updates is showing a clear background; the switch is in the L.H. side of the oval, and there is an 'off' at the side of the oval. Am I correct in assuming that this...