Windows 10: PC takes too long to shut down

Discus and support PC takes too long to shut down in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Just pressed the shutdown button and took 5 entire minutes to my PC to shut down. When i turn it on, it takes 17s to boot up. Is there any solution to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/minilio, Mar 13, 2021.

1. PC takes too long to shut down

Just pressed the shutdown button and took 5 entire minutes to my PC to shut down. When i turn it on, it takes 17s to boot up. Is there any solution to improve shutdown time?

submitted by /u/minilio
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/minilio, Mar 13, 2021

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Mar 13, 2021
  3. PC does not shut down requires forece shut down

Hello,

We really appreciate your patience. Let me give you few more troubleshooting steps which might apply to your situation and ascertain the cause of the issue.

• Try removing all the external peripheral devices including all usb drives except keyboard, mouse and monitor and check.
    • Try to shut down the computer while forcing the running applications and check the results in the subsequent restart. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      shutdown -s -f and press enter.

If it still does not help, try to view the Event IDs in Event Viewer to check for specific events triggering the issue.

To view activities in Windows, I suggest you to open the Event Viewer. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Go to the Control Panel and choose to click on the
      Administrative Tools icon.
    • The above action will open up a new window of the Administrative Tools where you will see the
      Event Viewer.

Please write to us with the results.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 13, 2021
  4. Steve C Win User

PC takes too long to shut down

Extremely long and incomplete boot

This may be a long shot. My PC hung at boot yesterday after typing the password - see Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?

I ran chkdsk c: /spotfix and all is now fine. Someone has also suggested running chkdsk c: /r.

Steve C, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

PC takes too long to shut down

1. PC takes too long to shut down - Similar Threads - takes too long

2. My laptop takes so long to shut down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop takes so long to shut down?: My laptop takes so much time to shut down, the shut down logo stays on the screen for about a minute and there is this one application that appears up about apps running in the background which stays there for less then a second and dissapears. I have the latest version of...
  3. My laptop takes so long to shut down?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop takes so long to shut down?: My laptop takes so much time to shut down, the shut down logo stays on the screen for about a minute and there is this one application that appears up about apps running in the background which stays there for less then a second and dissapears. I have the latest version of...
  4. Diskpart takes too long?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Diskpart takes too long?: So i was about to make a 100% clean install of Windows 10 and cleaned my 512GB drive with diskpart clean all. I read that it should take about an hour per 320GB, but it's been going for more than 3½ hours! According to the named 320GB/hr. about a terabyte should be cleaned by...
  5. Update takes too long.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update takes too long.: 2022-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H2 for x64-based Systems KB5014666 takes way too much time than usual. I mean what the hell is wrong with Microsoft? I don't understand why people even use windows. so much disaster operating system. We can't waste an...
  6. Chkdsk is taking too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chkdsk is taking too long: My harddisk was taking too long to respond and copy stuff. So I formatted the hard drive using cmd prompt and it went successful but then I am running the chkdsk E: /f /r /x E: is the external harddrive. Now its at stage 5 and have about 24 crore cluster to read and it is...
  7. long shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    long shut down: [ATTACH]so um this happened yesterday i shut down my pc and suddenly i was stuck at the shutting down part for a while like 2 mins and it closed. is there anyway i could make my pc shut down fast...
  8. windows 10s take long to shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows 10s take long to shut down: my computer is dual booted to windows 7and win 10 i innstall windows 10 on my divice but the windows 10 takes a long times to stop the exhaust fan but windows 7 has no problem it can shut down very fastly...
  9. Restarting pc takes too long!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restarting pc takes too long!: Hello, i am using Windows 10 Pro x64. Since i installed Windows, restart is way too slow. But now it is even worse. It takes almost 20 seconds sometimes. I tried to disable something, which has to do with system saving state image and hibernation and to disable automatic...
  10. Update is taking too long

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update is taking too long: its been almost 2 hrs . The white dots are atill soinning but the update is bot going further then 15% should i wait more ir try to restart .?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/update-is-taking-too-long/38928599-34e9-4134-bad5-452df72bcf54