Windows 10: PC to PC via wifi - but no router

Discus and support PC to PC via wifi - but no router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to setup a wireless connection between two computers. Both have a wifi adapter installed and are a bit away from each other where I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Azhrei, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Azhrei Win User

PC to PC via wifi - but no router

I'm trying to setup a wireless connection between two computers. Both have a wifi adapter installed and are a bit away from each other where I can't run an ethernet cable. The title isn't completely true - I do have a router ready, but one of the pc's absolutely refuses to connect to it. I dropped the signal back from N to G just in case and it still won't connect - the key is correct but refuses to connect no matter what I do. I have a very limited amount of time to try and get these computers hooked up tomorrow so I'm looking for a direct or even ad hoc network setup.

If I set up an ad hoc network with one as an access point, will that setup (done through commands in command prompt, I see) be "permanent"? What I'm ultimately trying to do is have both of these computers setup for Kodi, the media player - one hosts all the media, the other accesses it wirelessly. If I setup an ad hoc network tomorrow and then leave the house, will they be able to shut both computers down and power them up and have it all still set up and ready to go?

What's the best way of doing that? I have to leave it with a somewhat permanent setup as it's my sister's house and she lives quite far away and nobody in the house is remotely tech capable, or even aware for that matter.

To sum up -

One pc can't access a router's wifi connection no matter what I do, need two computers to connect wirelessly and share media and have it be something of a permanent connection between them.

:)

Azhrei, Oct 26, 2019
  2. Ikaruga Win User

router logs DoS attack from a local PC....

Well you did not say that you don't really know what you are doing. It's not a problem of course, but it changes things a little.

It's not even clear if the PC or the router is the problem at this time, so I suggested that you disable some unnecessary things which are usually known to cause many problems, sorry if those were too complicated.

• You could reset some network related stuffz on the PC as a next step. Open an elevated command prompt (run as administrator), and enter the followings on the PC:
      netsh int ip reset reset.log
      netsh int ipv6 reset
      netsh winsock reset
      netsh branchcache reset
      netsh advfirewall reset
      (note: You can export your current firewall rules in the "group policy" before the reset if it's needed for some reason)

• Btw, Would it be a problem to reset the router to the default settings if the things we are trying will not help? There is a menu point for that called "factory settings" (and also a little hole on the back if you prefer that one).. the Administrator username in the router after the reset would be admin and the password is probably on a sticker at the bottom of the router (special settings needed to go online with your ISP might be also necessary)
      This is not needed now (not yet), but perhaps the source of the problem is at the router and not the PC in question, so we may come to that eventually.
    ps.: Do you have a second network card you could test in that PC and a different cable to rule out some hardware issues on the PC side?

Ikaruga, Oct 26, 2019
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Oct 26, 2019
  4. PC to PC via wifi - but no router

Wifi router app for windows 10 for PC

I previously had windows 8.1 & downloaded a free wifi router app which gave me excellent wifi around my house.

I have recently upgraded from 8.1 to 10 but that wifi app is not compatible with windows 10 (only 7 & 8)

I have checked the net but none of the suggested apps worked.

Any suggestions?

peterhealy, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

PC to PC via wifi - but no router

1. PC to PC via wifi - but no router - Similar Threads - via wifi router

2. Unable to find my home router wifi on windows pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to find my home router wifi on windows pc.: My laptop Lenovo G50-80 detects every wifi, except my home internet. Specs: Windows 10 Home Single Language8GB RAMIntelR CoreTM i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz ProcessorI have checked with my internet provider and there are no blocks/issues on their end. Looking for...
  3. Unable to find my home router wifi on windows pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to find my home router wifi on windows pc.: My laptop Lenovo G50-80 detects every wifi, except my home internet. Specs: Windows 10 Home Single Language8GB RAMIntelR CoreTM i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz ProcessorI have checked with my internet provider and there are no blocks/issues on their end. Looking for...
  4. Unable to find my home router wifi on windows pc.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Connect to other PC via WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect to other PC via WiFi: HiI have 2 PC, both are Windows 10 Home Edition, I try to connect it to each other via WiFi in same network, here is what i've done :1. in my network setting properties i set Network Profile to Private.2. in Advanced Sharing Setting :- Private current profile i select Turn on...
  6. Connect to other PC via WiFi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connect to other PC via WiFi: HiI have 2 PC, both are Windows 10 Home Edition, I try to connect it to each other via WiFi in same network, here is what i've done :1. in my network setting properties i set Network Profile to Private.2. in Advanced Sharing Setting :- Private current profile i select Turn on...
  7. Connect to other PC via WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router

sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router: [Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Version 2004. OS Build 19569.rs_prerelease.200214-1419] I have recently moved and it is no longer physically possible to connect my desktop PC to the internet via an Ethernet connection to my TRENDnet TEW-711BR H/W:V1.1RU wireless router....
  9. Wifi-Router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi-Router: Hi i'm 17 I don't know a lot about computers I got this Windows 10 desktop on Christmas, Yea won't lie about it. I have been having trouble with connection to games ever since I moved to the basement I did a speed test and my ping is 8, Download 36Mbps, and upload is...
  10. wifi turned on, pc cant connect to isp nor router

wifi turned on, pc cant connect to isp nor router: its strange, no problem connected with Ethernet. but as soon as try connect with wifi, I see the 2 options, xfinity and netgear which I use regularly on tablet...but I cannot connect on the pc. any clues*Shock 72991