Windows 10: PC tries to boot from another drive eventhough SSD is first in the list

Discus and support PC tries to boot from another drive eventhough SSD is first in the list in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I recently installed an SSD in my Toshiba laptop S55-A5279. I replaced the HDD with an SSD, and replaced the CD drive with an HDD drive. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Emajor, May 5, 2020.

1. Emajor Win User

PC tries to boot from another drive eventhough SSD is first in the list

Hi,

I recently installed an SSD in my Toshiba laptop S55-A5279. I replaced the HDD with an SSD, and replaced the CD drive with an HDD drive.

I installed Windows 10 through an USB key to the SSD, formatted the HDD and it is working fine.

The only issue is that every time when I start or restart the computer, it seems like it wants to boot the USB first which is not connected anymore and gives me this message:

>Checking media presence...

> No media present

After a few seconds, it disappears and my computer starts booting from the new SSD.

I've been several times in the BIOS where the booting order is the following:

- HDD/SSD - SSD Samsung Evo

- USB blank

- ODD blank

- LAN something about IP v4...

I've also tried the start-up troubleshooting of Windows 10, but couldn't find any errors.

Any ideas how could this be solved?

I know it is not a killer issue, but it is making my start-up a lot slower and it is a bit annoying that it is trying to boot from the USB when I already changed it in the BIOS.

Thank you.

:)

Emajor, May 5, 2020
  2. RCoon Win User

PC Build Steps

1.1 - Ideally put optical in SATA 0, and SSD in SATA 1, this will cause the optical drive to be the default 1st boot option. You can change it manually if not, but I like it this way
    2.infinity - yes, that's fine. if it's above 70 +/- 5 degrees, then it may just need a repaste/remount

RCoon, May 5, 2020
  3. After Installing an SSD my computer won't boot unless I disconnect my external drive

Hi Richard,

We'd like to request for additional details about the boot issue while the SSD is installed on your PC. Please answer the following:

• What is the make and model of your SSD?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you tried the SSD on a different PC and experience no issue?
    • Are you getting an error code or message?
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, May 5, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, May 5, 2020
Thema:

1. PC tries to boot from another drive eventhough SSD is first in the list - Similar Threads - tries boot another

2. PC only boots up sometimes; Not booting on first try

in Windows 10 News
    PC only boots up sometimes; Not booting on first try: [IMG]Have you ever experienced a frustrating situation when you press the power button On, your Windows computer boots up sometimes and never boots the first time? You try again and again, and it finally starts. This is an issue that many people have faced. In this post, we...
  3. Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive: Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive on the same computerboth drives installed simultaneously. I can see from diskmanagement that the first drive is no longer recognized as bootable. I tried repairing it using a bootable usb that i created...
  4. Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive: Windows10 drive will not boot after booting from another windows10 drive on the same computerboth drives installed simultaneously. I can see from diskmanagement that the first drive is no longer recognized as bootable. I tried repairing it using a bootable usb that i created...
  5. Trying to add another SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trying to add another SSD: Hi,I have recently bought a new PC that has a M.2 NVMe SSD for the Operating System/Boot drive. I have another SSD that I want to use for more storage internally, whenever I install this drive in and restart my PC I get the error code 0xc000000e and says my PC/Device needs to...
  6. Boot from a USB SSD > BSoD "inaccessible boot device" on the same PC but not on another PC

Boot from a USB SSD > BSoD "inaccessible boot device" on the same PC but not on another PC: Another puzzling case in the long history of this mysterious BSoD: As a backup solution for a ThinkPad L480, W 10 Pro 1909 using Paragon FPM 17 RMB in WinPE, a 1: 1 clone of the system disk SSD NVMe is created on a mobile USB SSD disk Samsung T5. This USB-SSD-T5 is booted...
  7. Trying to clone a drive(OS) from one SSD to another larger SSD but I messed up and tried to...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to clone a drive(OS) from one SSD to another larger SSD but I messed up and tried to...: [IMG] submitted by /u/45Hz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fil4tx/trying_to_clone_a_driveos_from_one_ssd_to_another/
  8. Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive: Okay, So here's the thing. Laptop with small (16GB) Optane SSD & 1TB Seagate HDD failed. Retailer tried to repair, repair failed. Retailer replaced machine with new (lower spec) machine that only has m.2 NVMe PCIe sockets. Bought a small 'Proof-of-concept' SSD to check the...
  9. Moving SSD from one PC to another

Moving SSD from one PC to another: I have 2 laptops of different brands with completely different hardware, both with Windows 10 Home. The first laptop had a 250GB SSD, and the second had a 1TB HDD. I upgraded the first laptop to a 500GB SSD, and put the 250GB SSD in the second instead of the 1TB HDD. So the...
  10. making directories from another drive appear in root of first drive

in Windows 10 Support
    making directories from another drive appear in root of first drive: My "media" collection of photos and music occupies a total of 1.1 TB. On my desktop system, no problem, with a 4 TB HDD. On my laptop, where I like to duplicate this collection for my business trips, I can devote only 200 GB on the laptop's internal SSD. I have to keep the...