Windows 10: PC turns on, but no display

Discus and support PC turns on, but no display in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In December I bought a gaming PC. It turned out to have a defective GPU, so I exchanged it for the same model at the store. That model seemed to be in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AstralFrost, Jan 28, 2018.

1. PC turns on, but no display

In December I bought a gaming PC. It turned out to have a defective GPU, so I exchanged it for the same model at the store. That model seemed to be in working order until yesterday when I got a temperature warning of 77C at light load and repeated voltage warnings from Aegis III, ASUS' monitoring software. It would say "9.600 v!" Then tonight, when I turned the PC on, there was no display. I checked the power cord, plugged the (brand new) HDMI cable in and out of the monitor and even tried a different monitor to make sure that wasn't the culprit. No luck!

Is 9.600 v too low or too high? Is it possible that it's a defective power supply?

:)

AstralFrost, Jan 28, 2018
  2. lacrumb Win User

Windows PC turns on but doesn't display anything

I have not seen that on the public release 16299.19 bu I have it on Insider build 17035.

It is just slow to react.

lacrumb, Jan 28, 2018
  3. Windows PC turns on but doesn't display anything

I've been having this issue for about 4 days. I turn on my computer and everything runs as usual (light, fan, etc) but nothing shows up as if the screen was off. I want to know how to fix this issue. The computer runs perfectly but the only issue is that
    there is nothing on the screen and I need to reset it a couple of times to work and it's a pain/waste of time

Details/info:

Windows 10 Home PC

No beep code

Windows Version 1709 (Windows Insider)

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Power on or off a device

Guidelines, Jan 28, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

PC turns on, but no display

9.600 v, as in Volts ? Where ? If on graphic card and it's GPU that would instantly blow it up, typical voltages are ~1v. That reading should have been 0.960v.

CountMike, Jan 28, 2018
  5. UPDATE: I tried unplugging the power cord and holding the power button for 60 seconds. That worked and I'm using the PC right now. But I'm still wondering what the source of the issue is.

I don't know. I screen capped the alert yesterday.

PC turns on, but no display [​IMG]

6. CountMike New Member
    Oh, that's for 12v branch from PSU and or VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) on the MB. Your PSU may be bad.

CountMike, Jan 28, 2018
  7. If so, is this a danger to other components in the PC? I assume I should discontinue use until I get the PSU replaced.

8. CountMike New Member

It might make problems but should not burn anything. PSU can be checked for voltages and operation with right equipment but to some degree with ordinary voltmeter. Any Yellow and Black wire on main, 24pin connector, should read 12v +/- 5%.

CountMike, Jan 28, 2018
  9. Unfortunately, any poking around will void ASUS's warranty. Then again, the amount of trouble (and I believe some cost) of sending it to them for repair may not be worth it if it's near certain to be the PSU that is the problem. I could get a voltmeter and test it, or easily swap out the PSU myself.

I very much appreciate your help, CountMike. I'm not sure this one is solved yet but I will surely update this thread ASAP.

10. CountMike New Member
    Well, solved it is not until it starts working right, keep us appraised.

CountMike, Jan 28, 2018
  11. Update: No confirmed diagnosis but the PC is being shipped out for repair and will return within a couple of weeks. If I open it up, my warranty with ASUS will be voided. Bummer.

AstralFrost, Jan 30, 2018
  12. CountMike New Member
    Hate those ready made computers !!

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC turns on, but no display - Similar Threads - turns display

2. If Automatic color management is turned on for Display 2, does that increase power usage...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If Automatic color management is turned on for Display 2, does that increase power usage...: Using an HP W2082a monitor as Display 2 on a Windows 11 laptop, to get the HP monitor to work correctly, I manually turned automatic color management hereinafter "ACM" on, each time I started Windows or took it out of sleep mode, and turned it off shortly after, since once...
  3. If Automatic color management is turned on for Display 2, does that increase power usage...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If Automatic color management is turned on for Display 2, does that increase power usage...: Using an HP W2082a monitor as Display 2 on a Windows 11 laptop, to get the HP monitor to work correctly, I manually turned automatic color management hereinafter "ACM" on, each time I started Windows or took it out of sleep mode, and turned it off shortly after, since once...
  4. Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!: After I updated my windows 10 cumulative update, display driver and some other network drivers a few days ago, I faced this problem which is annoying a lot. I put my laptop on sleep and after a couple of minutes I opened the lid of it and started a timer waiting for display...
  5. Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!: After I updated my windows 10 cumulative update, display driver and some other network drivers a few days ago, I faced this problem which is annoying a lot. I put my laptop on sleep and after a couple of minutes I opened the lid of it and started a timer waiting for display...
  6. Recently when my laptop wakes up from sleep, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

7. Recently when my laptop wakes up, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

Recently when my laptop wakes up, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!: After I updated my windows 10 cumulative update, display driver and some other network drivers a few days ago, I faced this problem which is annoying a lot. I put my laptop on sleep and after a couple of minutes I opened the lid of it and started a timer waiting for display...
  8. Recently when my laptop wakes up, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently when my laptop wakes up, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!: After I updated my windows 10 cumulative update, display driver and some other network drivers a few days ago, I faced this problem which is annoying a lot. I put my laptop on sleep and after a couple of minutes I opened the lid of it and started a timer waiting for display...
  9. Recently when my laptop wakes up, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

10. WIndows 10 getting locked automatically even after turning off the screensaver, display,...

WIndows 10 getting locked automatically even after turning off the screensaver, display,...: I am using a Windows 10 OS which is getting locked automatically after sometime I leave it without any activity. I have tried to change multiple settings on other popular recommendations including turning screensaver, display off and sleep settings to "never". Yet the issue...