Windows 10: PC turns on by itself after "shutdown /s"

Discus and support PC turns on by itself after "shutdown /s" in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have noticed a weird issue with my pc last week. Win 10 Pro 64-bit 1909 Last week I enabled Wake on Lan S5 Support from my BIOS and WOL... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Salvora, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Salvora Win User

PC turns on by itself after "shutdown /s"

Hello,

I have noticed a weird issue with my pc last week. Win 10 Pro 64-bit 1909

Last week I enabled Wake on Lan S5 Support from my BIOS and WOL works as expected. I can send magic packet to wake up my computer from my network.

However, I noticed that if any program like some downloader etc shuts down my computer Shut down computer when downloads are finished., pc turns off but in under a minute it boots up again.

I have replicated the issue by using command prompt.

"shutdown /s" command is the problem.

Whenever I shut down my pc with this command, it shuts down. Then like 30-50 seconds later it boots up again. However, there is no problem if I shut down my pc with start menu.

To further investigate the issue, I have disabled wake on lan S5 support on my pc and used "shutdown /s". There was no booting.

Now I was suspicious of some network device sending magic packets and waking up the pc. To further test the issue. I have removed the ethernet cable and disconnected from LAN and internet. I have removed all the peripherals keyboard, mouse etc.

I have checked which devices can wake the pc up.

powercfg –devicequery wake_armed

I disabled all of them.

I disabled Task Scheduler from waking up the PC from the power settings.

and issued "shutdown /s" command.

Well, laptop turned off and in a minute it booted up again. I have no idea what is causing this. Event viewer power troubleshooter shows source "unknows".

Any ideas would be welcome.

:)

Salvora, Mar 17, 2020

2. My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Mar 17, 2020
  3. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Mar 17, 2020
  4. pigulici Win User

Pc problem, randomly doesn't turn on sometimes.

"
    Fast startup is a feature in Windows that helps your computer start faster. You can use the following steps to enable or disable fast startup.

• Type Control Panel in the search box.
    • Click Control Panel.
    • Click Power Options.
    • Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
    • Click Save changes."

pigulici, Mar 17, 2020
Thema:

1. PC turns on by itself after "shutdown /s" - Similar Threads - turns itself shutdown

2. PC powering itself on after clicking shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC powering itself on after clicking shutdown: Hello, I’ve got this issue where my PC/Desktop restarts instead when I click shutdown. The only way I can shut it off is by holding the power button and it manages to still turn itself on again while holding it down. Once it turns off 2-3 times, it eventually stays off. I...
  3. PC is turned on and it shutdown itself after 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC is turned on and it shutdown itself after 5 seconds: Seeking assistance in regard to the belowWhenever I turned on a PC it automatically shuts down 5seconds. Then whenever i switch it back on, it never shutdown. it only happens on first time switch on.Thanks,...
  4. PC is turned on and it shutdown itself after 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is turned on and it shutdown itself after 5 seconds: Seeking assistance in regard to the belowWhenever I turned on a PC it automatically shuts down 5seconds. Then whenever i switch it back on, it never shutdown. it only happens on first time switch on.Thanks,...
  5. PC is turned on and it shutdown itself after 5 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Pc shutdown by itself

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc shutdown by itself: I’m running windows 10 pro build 21h1 os build from this month September and it was a storm with lightning and my pc went off but the others worked just fine what it should be the power source , or the heating from pc or I needed to change the thermal paste from processor it...
  7. Hardware error, PC crashes and PC turns on by itself after shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware error, PC crashes and PC turns on by itself after shutdown: By viewing reliability it shows hardware errorSourceWindowsSummaryHardware errorDate‎29/‎5/‎2021 7:06 amStatusReport sentDescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 141Parameter 1:...
  8. Laptop turns on itself instantly after a normal shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop turns on itself instantly after a normal shutdown: [ATTACH]Hello, I'm facing a problem past couple days with my ASUS Zenbook 14 UM425-IA that is: Everytime I shutdown my laptop, it turns on automatically after the shutdown, displaying on the lockscreen a message: A problem has occurred and your pin is not available, press...
  9. Pc restarts itself after shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Pc restarts itself after shutdown: When I press shutdown button in start menu,It restarts itself.Usually it happens at night. How can I fix this? 139074
  10. PC turns itself on after shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    PC turns itself on after shutdown: Around the time when I first setup automatic shutdown in Windows Scheduler (or what it's called in English), my PC has started turning itself back on again after shutdown in the evening. I've tried disabling the scheduled shutdown but it made no difference, and I'm not sure...