Windows 10: PC unusable after last update (07-05-19)

Discus and support PC unusable after last update (07-05-19) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My sons computer was working fine untill the last update. We have very bad internet service which sometimes drops out for a while. Now when I tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fornost, May 8, 2019.

1. fornost Win User

PC unusable after last update (07-05-19)

My sons computer was working fine untill the last update. We have very bad internet service which sometimes drops out for a while.

Now when I tried to sort it for him yesterday, I set it to reset and keep all his files. He has quite a few games on steam and it would take literally months to download them all again.

When I set it to reset the screen said installing windows and then the screen goes black and the cursor is frozen and cannot move. Nothing happens no matter how long you leave it.

Press restart button and get the windows sign and the rotating dots as if booting. Get a welcome screen which is blue and it tells me it is still installing windows. At 64% it momentarily freezes twice and carries on untill at 76% it freezes and just stops dead, fan speeds increase. I left it like that for over an hour and nothing else happened.

Press restart again get the windows sign and the circling dots again, screen turns blue and says please wait next you get the logon screen which says welcome, preparing windows. Log in screen comes up, tima and date correct but no cursor. Login box appears , enter details cursor works again and login works.

It tels me "location is not available, C:\ windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable. If thelocation is on this PCmake sure that the device or drive is connected and the disk is inserted, then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you are connected to the network or internet then try again. If the location still can't be found it might have been moved or deleted.

Press oK as that is the only option, screen is now black with apps barely visible around the outside of the screen, as if the resolution is too big and they are now off the edge of the screen. Managed to click on notifications and it opens, but when you choose a heading nothing happens. Click in the centre of the screen and choose either personalize or display settings and yo get a message. on top it says ms-settings: display or ms-settings: personalization-background. The body of the message says "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app, if one is already installed create an association in the default apps settings page. Task manager starts and says there are no running programs, but it opens and seems to be complete in that all the monitoring functions seem to work ok. One strange thing in task manager is that it shows cpu usage as 0%, but if you open resource manager it says cpu is 100%. I removed the hdd and it opens fine and all the files are still there.

Anyway, I have another drive with windows on it which I can use as a boot drive if I cant get this one working right again. Would i be able to just delete the bits of windows that are left or should I get rid of them another way? if so how?

I also tried restarting with a windows usb and it basicaly told me to take it out, I thought that I could reinstall from a usb drive but it doesn't want to know.

Sorry for it taking so long, but I tried to get as much as I can. I don't know the build number, but it's win 10 pro.

:)

fornost, May 8, 2019

2. Office 2016 update 05/03/19?

I have Office 365.

PC unusable after last update (07-05-19) [​IMG]

Ten Forward, May 8, 2019
  3. Barman58 Win User
    Office 2016 update 05/03/19?

I've just checked and there does appear to have been an update over the last few days (I'm on Release Preview Ring so I usually get updates a little early *Wink

Is what I see as current build details

Barman58, May 8, 2019
  4. PC unusable after last update (07-05-19)

Office 2016 update 05/03/19?

All of them did not change for me.

Access and Publisher are stuck on the old icons:

File icons have also been updated.

Ten Forward, May 8, 2019
Thema:

PC unusable after last update (07-05-19)

1. PC unusable after last update (07-05-19) - Similar Threads - unusable last update

2. No sound after windows 10 20H2 Update still as at 07-05-2021

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No sound after windows 10 20H2 Update still as at 07-05-2021: I posted this question in Microsoft Community, which has now been deleted, yet a later but different question posed by another user at a later date is still up and running.Has anyone had this question solved? Nothing has worked, uninstalling and reinstalling sound software...
  3. MS Update caused PC unuseable.

MS Update caused PC unuseable.: For a month now trying to restore my PC Desktop. Caught in a blue screen repair loop. Need repair disk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-update-caused-pc-unuseable/99707ac4-4418-4b99-beeb-83f3e7ee77c5
  4. PC is unusable after 2004 update - 100% CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC is unusable after 2004 update - 100% CPU: My computer updated to 2004 two days ago and it is unusable. It takes 5-15 minutes to login or start a program, then the program is unresponsive. Web browsing is impossible. I'm running Win 10 Home. CPU is at 100% constantly. Disk is at 100% some of the time, but sometimes...
  5. After the latest 1909 update my PC mouse is unusable.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After the latest 1909 update my PC mouse is unusable.: I did a clean install to get 1909 too. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? submitted by /u/freedom2244 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eoz587/after_the_latest_1909_update_my_pc_mouse_is/
  6. PC is freezing after last big update

PC is freezing after last big update: Hello, I have this problem that my laptop keeps freezing when I'm on chrome or either in game (closed chrome). It wasn't like this since the last big update of win 10. I recently was on the latop of my friend and it's doing the same to her. I would like to ask how to solve...
  7. 'Defender' update 07/10/19 breaks 'system file checker' app

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    'Defender' update 07/10/19 breaks 'system file checker' app: All devices updated yesterday(07/10/19) have corruption that cannot be repaired, ""windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them...For online repair etc etc.""...
  8. Office 2016 update 05/03/19?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016 update 05/03/19?: Hello, I was wondering if Office 2016 Professional Plus had an update yesterday. Something change and all of my icons changed to look like Office 365. I like the old icons. I also can't find anything on Microsoft's site that shows that there was an update. I want to make...
  9. Pc too slow after last update

Pc too slow after last update: Hi, after the last update of windows 10 my pc is too slow. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-too-slow-after-last-update/e0b6f994-fe6c-4f94-bfb9-0d4ad1abc90d
  10. PC keeps rebooting after the last update

PC keeps rebooting after the last update: After the last Windows 10 update my PC keeps rebooting, it lasts for hours and nothing seems to be working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-keeps-rebooting-after-the-last-update/edc3d4c5-0bd3-4912-829c-1cf7a135e7d5