Windows 10: PC unusable due to BSOD crashes

Discus and support PC unusable due to BSOD crashes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Yesterday my PC suddenly had a BSOD crash, I didn't note down all of the message but it was a KERNEL error. This first BSOD happened while I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SeanRobertKelly, Apr 30, 2019.

1. PC unusable due to BSOD crashes

Yesterday my PC suddenly had a BSOD crash, I didn't note down all of the message but it was a KERNEL error. This first BSOD happened while I was playing a game on Steam. I have just read that the Windows May 2019 update is being released anyway despite them knowing it has BSOD issues, but I also read that this has been pushed back until May, and that it relates specifically to games and the anti-cheat software some have, so I assume this would come up with more specific BSOD error message, perhaps the timing here and the fact I was playing a game at the time is mere coincidence.

This is a fairly similar issue to what I had on previous installations of Windows after building a PC at the beginning of this year. Details on his can be found here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-crashes-on-new-windows-10-setup/19fd8a89-ace2-45e0-b352-046d66301139 - for a bit of background. I did eventually manage to fix this by reinstalling windows without the internet connected and just completely disabling windows update in windows update settings and services. Unfortunately I never got to the bottom of what caused the issues, I reset the RAM back to auto as I had altered the frequency before, so I still have no idea really if it was keeping it on auto that kept it stable or if it was just updating my BIOS (which may have been up-to-date anyway) and gradually staggering the windows updates that solved the problem. Once I did eventually allow Windows Updates to run so that I could update drivers, Direct X etc, I just left it on, I am now wondering if this was a mistake or if it might actually be a faulty RAM issue after al.

I think I have got this right in order of errors as they appeared - first the KERNEL error, then I got a SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED error, next must have been the first MEMORY MANAGEMENT ERROR, then I think it was the ATTEMPTED TO WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY error, then I got CRITICAL PROCESS DIED, at some point a second MEMORY MANAGEMENT ERROR the PFN LIST CORRUPT. This was during a continuous cycle of restarts and attempted repairs, after this I just kept getting the same two errors - MANAGEMENT ERROR and INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE. Every time I try to start it now one of these two crashes it. I first tried system restore to a few days before, this did absolutely nothing, I left it on automatic repair, this also did nothing, and I also tried resetting windows and keeping the files, which seemed to also do nothing.

I have files I hadn't got round to backing up since I finally got my PC working last time, so I could really do without doing yet another complete reinstall again. How likely is it that this is a hardware issue?

:)

SeanRobertKelly, Apr 30, 2019
  2. Thrackan Win User

PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Hi fellow TPU members,

not too long ago, the box my gf's PC was transported in gave way on the stairs. Yes, you got it right, that sent a PC tumbling down a flight of steps alright.

Stuff broke. Also, stuff remained intact somehow.

I bought her a new case, new CPU cooler and we removed the floppy drive, so far so good. But the PC started crashing for no apparent reason, without a BSOD.

I tested:
    • Memtest86+, left overnight, 0 errors
    • Scanned the HDD for errors, nothing there
    • Left FurMark burning up the GFX card and drawing some power, no problems there
    • Ran Ubuntu from a Live CD doing nothing special, didn't crash
    • Ran OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, all 3 caused reboots within minutes
    • Oh, and I disabled "Restart on error" so I'm sure it's not a BSOD.
    Now, I can still try and test something CPU intensive on Ubuntu, but my guess is the CPU didn't survive.
    Before I do anything drastic like whippin' out the magic wallet and get her a new AMD quad, is there anything I didn't see?
    I'm guessing the motherboard could be borkered as well, but can I check that other than replacing the CPU with a working one?
    Any suggestions on which proggies I can use from an Ubuntu Live CD to stress the CPU?

Thrackan, Apr 30, 2019
  3. alexsubri Win User
    BSOD- atikmpag.sys

This is most likely due to an installation/upgrade error with ATI driver's. I suggest doing DriveSweeper and the following:
    • Drivesweeper all drivers & in Safe Mode
    • Unistall all drivers that aren't used in DriveSweeper (CCC Profiler Updates, MSI AfterBurner, anything related to ATI that use's it's drivers.)
    • After you do this, the first thing you need to do is go into Device Manager and Unistall your ATI Drivers
    PC unusable due to BSOD crashes [​IMG]

Once your done, restart the PC and then try installing the latest drivers.

I had several issues with this in the past, but I overcame it with logical reasoning and whenever I have a driver issue, I just use these steps and I always overcome the problem.

Best of luck! *Toast :toast:

alexsubri, Apr 30, 2019
  4. peach1971 Win User

PC unusable due to BSOD crashes

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

PC unusable due to BSOD crashes

1. PC unusable due to BSOD crashes - Similar Threads - unusable due BSOD

2. Randomly crashed PC with BSOD Due to IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Randomly crashed PC with BSOD Due to IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL: Hello,I've done my searches, and I understand that the file in minidump path is important to analyze why this happened.I've attached the zipped version of my dmp file. Could someone please help?Thank...
  3. Randomly crashed PC with BSOD Due to IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Randomly crashed PC with BSOD Due to IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL: Hello,I've done my searches, and I understand that the file in minidump path is important to analyze why this happened.I've attached the zipped version of my dmp file. Could someone please help?Thank...
  4. Pc crashes too often unusable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc crashes too often unusable: Hi , my pc is crashing for almost 3 years now . Specs :Ryzen 5 3500x , RX5500xt 8GB ,16 gb of ram 3200hz hyperx fury ,and i think my motherboard is gigabyte b450m s2h , 1tb seagate hdd , 250gb nvme ssd kingston , 600w aerocool cylon powersupply ,Case is aqirys canopus. So i...
  5. Pc crashes too often unusable

Pc crashes too often unusable: Hi , my pc is crashing for almost 3 years now . Specs :Ryzen 5 3500x , RX5500xt 8GB ,16 gb of ram 3200hz hyperx fury ,and i think my motherboard is gigabyte b450m s2h , 1tb seagate hdd , 250gb nvme ssd kingston , 600w aerocool cylon powersupply ,Case is aqirys canopus. So i...
  6. Computer crashing due to BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashing due to BSOD: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting Date: 2/06/2023 1:35:05 PM Event ID: 1001 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: PC Description: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e...
  7. Computer crashing due to BSOD

Computer crashing due to BSOD: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting Date: 2/06/2023 1:35:05 PM Event ID: 1001 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: PC Description: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e...
  8. Computer crashing due to BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. My pc crashes and it’s unusable

My pc crashes and it’s unusable: So my pc is acting really weird right now and it really scares me. (Windows 10) So whenever I start my pc it works fine and everything loads and is in order except for the audio icon which has a red x under it and when I hover above it it says “The audio service is not...
  10. Watchdog crash and no screen/PC unusable but on

Watchdog crash and no screen/PC unusable but on: Hi, the last week I'm been suffering freezes and reboots. I had one or two BSOD but that doesn't seem to be the main problem, and I have no dumps of them. I have recently changed from a HDD to a SSD, I have applied a theme on my Windows 10, and I have updated to Fall...