Windows 10: PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting

Discus and support PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently bought a smart plug to turn my PC on remotely. For that to work, i had to change the "AC Power Recovery" Setting to turn the PC on as soon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Alexander Schwörer, Aug 29, 2022.

1. PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting

I recently bought a smart plug to turn my PC on remotely. For that to work, i had to change the "AC Power Recovery" Setting to turn the PC on as soon as it gets power. But when i do this, the PC waits in the loading screen where it says "Press DEL or F2 to enter BIOS" and won't do anything until i enter the BIOS or Press Space/Enter to make the PC continue booting. Is there a setting which makes the PC boot fully into windows without me having to press a button whilst using the AC Power Recovery Option?

:)

Alexander Schwörer, Aug 29, 2022

2. Problem in booting getting error : getting "the selected boot device failed. Press <enter> to continue".

Hi Pritesh,

I would be happy to assist you.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?

• What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?

• Have you connected any external devices other than mouse and keyboard?

Before going with the troubleshooting steps, I would like to inform you that the issue could also be caused due to outdated Basic Input Output system (BIOS) or chipset drivers. I would suggest you to visit the manufacturer’s
    website to download and install the latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from
    the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If you are able to boot to the desktop screen, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue.

If the issue still persists, try the below troubleshooting steps as the boot files of current operating system might got corrupted.

Method 2: I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform Startup Repair of the computer that you are
    unable to boot.

Using ISO file to perform Startup Repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1:
    I suggest you to try Startup Repairing the Windows and check if it helps.

Download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Startup Repair.

Refer to the following link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool” in the above article for creating the tool).

Step 2: After creating Installation Media, perform Startup Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Startup Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings
    and more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Startup Repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Startup Repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of booting the operating system to desktop for further assistance. We will be
    happy to help you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Aug 29, 2022
  3. dhievm Win User
    Booting without press any key

No. I do not change the bios setting , never even enter the bios . So what akah there another way ? So each lit stopped toshiba logo , and will be loading after press any key.

dhievm, Aug 29, 2022
  4. PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting

Windows 10 will only boot if selected from the BIOS boot menu.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

• You mean to say, every time you need to make changes to Boot Order in BIOS, to start your computer correctly?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suspect that the problem might be due to outdated BIOS update
    or with Boot Configuration data. Suggest you to check for the latest BIOS update and Chipset drivers for your device hardware on Manufacturer website. If you find a new one, try to update the same to see if it correct
    the issue. If problem still persist, then I suggest to rebuild Boot Configuration Data to see if it makes any difference.

Let us try to repair your computer by creating a Windows 10 Bootable media (I.e. USB or DVD) using
    Media Creation Tool.
    Use your computer or some other connected to Internet for creating a Bootable media (Windows 10 ISO image file). Once you're ready with Bootable Media, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Insert the Windows installation disc in the disc drive or connect USB media, and then start the computer.
    • Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.

If your PC does not detect the media automatically
      • During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.
      • Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot Order,
        Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the
        Boot Order, then press Enter.
      • Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order
        sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
      • Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart. Allow the PC to restart normally. The scan will take a few minutes and remove any malware that may be infecting your computer.
    • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click
      Next
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. Select
      Advanced Options > Command Prompt
      under Advanced Options.
    • Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press
      ENTER.
      This command will rebuild boot configuration data if in case any issue with Boot files causing this issue.

Once you done with the above steps, see if the problem still persist.

Let us know how it went.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Aug 29, 2022
Thema:

PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting

1. PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting - Similar Threads - waits press Key

2. My keyboard keeps pressing enter key continuously

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard keeps pressing enter key continuously: My keyboard keeps pressing enter key continuously. but if I just enter a backspace it stops. and I don't know when it will spam itself again. at first I thought it was sticky keys but when I went to settings it was off . Please help me...
  3. My keyboard keeps pressing enter key continuously

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard keeps pressing enter key continuously: My keyboard keeps pressing enter key continuously. but if I just enter a backspace it stops. and I don't know when it will spam itself again. at first I thought it was sticky keys but when I went to settings it was off . Please help me...
  4. Pc stuck on press del or f2 to enter bios

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc stuck on press del or f2 to enter bios: I just built this pc for a mate and when I boot it, it stays stuck on that screen for a few minutes can't use the keyboard at all after a few minutes windows login screen eventually comes up 2...
  5. Pc stuck on press del or f2 to enter bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc stuck on press del or f2 to enter bios: I just built this pc for a mate and when I boot it, it stays stuck on that screen for a few minutes can't use the keyboard at all after a few minutes windows login screen eventually comes up 2...
  6. Pc stuck on press del or f2 to enter bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting: I recently bought a smart plug to turn my PC on remotely. For that to work, i had to change the "AC Power Recovery" Setting to turn the PC on as soon as it gets power. But when i do this, the PC waits in the loading screen where it says "Press DEL or F2 to enter BIOS" and...
  8. PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC waits for me to press a Key to enter BIOS or continue booting: I recently bought a smart plug to turn my PC on remotely. For that to work, i had to change the "AC Power Recovery" Setting to turn the PC on as soon as it gets power. But when i do this, the PC waits in the loading screen where it says "Press DEL or F2 to enter BIOS" and...
  9. The selected boot device failed, please press enter to continue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The selected boot device failed, please press enter to continue: Hello, I have encountered the selected boot device failed error. I was wondering is this could be the result of a bad CPU? I have purchased a new hard drive, in hopes that that will fix this issue, but I am not sure. I do know that I had the idlebuddy virus on my computer for...
  10. Key continues to be entered

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Key continues to be entered: When I'm on my log in page to enter my password in order to gain access to my computer, whichever key i press it will continusly enter that key without me doing anything. Once the character limit has been reached i press backspace and it deletes everything itself and starts...