Windows 10: Pc wakes from usb devices

Discus and support Pc wakes from usb devices in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I put my windows 10 pc to sleep, is turns back on and I did some troubleshooting and found a number of devices that are causing this to happen and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JacobDurbin1, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Pc wakes from usb devices

When I put my windows 10 pc to sleep, is turns back on and I did some troubleshooting and found a number of devices that are causing this to happen and i do not want to unplug everything when i want it to sleep. I’ve tried to disable the wake from sleep option on these specific devices but the option is grayed out. I’ve tried my best to find an answer online or on these forums and there does not seem to be a clear one. Thanks for all the help in advance!

:)

JacobDurbin1, Aug 21, 2020
  2. Valantar Win User

Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

First off: I tried disabling wake-up by the mouse on both PCs and disabling USB Selective Suspend too, to no avail.
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. Good to know that powercfg can list all wake-enabled devices, 'cause when I went through all ... eight-ish PCI-to-PCI bridge devices in Device Manager, none of them had wake events listed (in the "events" tab under Properties), which doesn't quite add up with one/more of them waking the PC a dozen or so times over the last few days. Of course, they don't even have the option to enable/disable waking the PC in the properties menu. I'll take a look at disabling a bunch of stuff through powercfg once I get home from work.

Sorry if I came across as rude, but honestly, your reply did not at all indicate that you'd read my post in the first place. I said I'd been looking at wake-up history in the Windows event log, and I listed several of the devices cited there as having woken up the PC. If you came away with the impression that I hadn't investigated this thoroughly, I suppose I might not have been clear enough, but it's all there in the post. While powercfg does give out some more detail (device IDs and such) than Event Viewer, it only lists the last wake-up, and as such doesn't really help in this instance, as it's clearly not a single device at fault, and tracking wake-ups over time seems more useful. Also, figuring out how to view wake-up events in the Event Log is what you do after you've concluded that powercfg isn't giving you enough information *Wink Pc wakes from usb devices ;)

Valantar, Aug 21, 2020
  3. Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

I've also battled with sleep/wake issues over the years, and from experience have learned that trying to find, or rationalise, the root cause is a waste of time. All you need is `powercfg`.

`powercfg -devicequery wake_armed` from an Administrator PowerShell window/Command Prompt will give you a list of all devices that can possibly wake the PC. This command is interesting because very often, it will show devices that you'd never expect being able to wake your computer. I think in one instance I had the chipset device listed!

`powercfg -devicedisablewake "device_name_from_device_query"`will prevent said device from ever waking the computer. This command is 100% the only thing I have found that will resolve sleep/wake problems. Updating drivers, unplugging peripherals, switching to a cleaner power supply (UPS), changing ethernet cables... none of those have helped, yet`powercfg -devicedisablewake` has done the trick.

Note that occasionally, devices you have disabled wake for may start waking up the PC again - this happens if you plug a USB device into a different port, or occasionally when drivers are updated, because Windows sees it as a new device. In that case rerun `powercfg` to find and disable that device again.

If this does not resolve your wake issues, I would start looking at power fluctuations.

Assimilator, Aug 21, 2020
  4. salromano Win User

Pc wakes from usb devices

USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller Wakes PC

Hello, all.

I've had this problem since I built this PC a couple of months ago. When trying to put my computer to sleep, it wakes up no more than a second later. According to powercfg -lastwake, this is the culprit:

Code:
    These are my specs:

• Computer type: PC/Desktop
    • Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
    • Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard
    • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    • Graphics Card(s): Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card

This PC has one USB 3.10 slot, which is on the motherboard. I have nothing in it. I've done just about everything the Internet has suggested, including disabling the driver (this solves the issue but for some reason disabling this driver also disables my Bluetooth driver), uninstalling / reinstalling the driver, checking the BIOS for any wake or USB-related options, uninstalling my GPU drivers / Nvidia GeForce Experience, checking for scheduled events, checking to see if any of my other USB connections (which are only a mouse and keyboard) are to blame -- you name it, I've probably done it. There are only so little support topics on this issue posted online, and none of them have a definite resolution, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

That said, I'll appreciate any help / suggestions! Thanks a bunch in advance!

salromano, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

Pc wakes from usb devices

1. Pc wakes from usb devices - Similar Threads - wakes usb devices

2. How to prevent a device from waking up PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent a device from waking up PC?: My computer woke up at night, recently after I put it to sleep. This is what the command prompt says about what woke it upWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  3. How to prevent a device from waking up PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent a device from waking up PC?: My computer woke up at night, recently after I put it to sleep. This is what the command prompt says about what woke it upWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  4. USB devices won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB devices won't wake up from sleep: Hi,Quite often when I reconnect some of my USB devices to PC mouse, keyboard, audio interface, they won't work. To me it seems to happen randomly. Usually it's just one of these devices that don't work when I reconnect them. Disconnecting them and again reconnecting doesn't...
  5. USB devices won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB devices won't wake up from sleep: Hi,Quite often when I reconnect some of my USB devices to PC mouse, keyboard, audio interface, they won't work. To me it seems to happen randomly. Usually it's just one of these devices that don't work when I reconnect them. Disconnecting them and again reconnecting doesn't...
  6. USB devices won't wake up from sleep

7. a usb device keeps waking my pc up in the middle of the night

a usb device keeps waking my pc up in the middle of the night: Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path: USB\VID_320F&PID_502A\6&a806194&0&2 Friendly Name: Description: USB Composite Device Manufacturer: Standard USB Host Controlleri did powercfg -lastwake and this popped...
  8. How to prevent USB Composite Device from waking up the computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent USB Composite Device from waking up the computer: I'm having trouble with a certain USB Composite Device waking up my computer when I don't want it to wake up. I have tried all tutorials that I found with Google but none of them solved the problem. Below is a screenshot that should contain all the relevant info. I would...
  9. PC can't wake from sleep unless I unplug attached USB devices

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC can't wake from sleep unless I unplug attached USB devices: Hi all, My computer was working just fine until few weeks ago. When it goes into sleep mode, either by itself, or by pressing the sleep button, it can't wake up like it usually would - hitting the keyboard or moving the mouse. It can't wake up even if I press the power...
  10. Unable to hinder the USB mouse from waking up the PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to hinder the USB mouse from waking up the PC: In the Device Manager I went to Mice and other pointing devices > HID-compliant mouse > Properties > Power Management > Allow this device to wake the computer, and unchecked it. But still the mouse wakes up the laptop from sleep. Why? 40821