Windows 10: PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate

Discus and support PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my laptop will not properly transition from sleep to hibernate mode automatically. The Hibernate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SuperToast92, May 17, 2019.

1. PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate

Hello,

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my laptop will not properly transition from sleep to hibernate mode automatically. The Hibernate function itself works just fine - I can activate it from the Start menu successfully. Also, it seems there is a relation to how long I set the wait period in the Power Plan settings. The laptop has consistently transitioned from S3 to S4 if I set the timeout period to 20 minutes or less. However, if I set the time to something closer to 30 minutes or greater, the laptop will wake from S3, but the display will light up and the laptop will NOT transition to Hibernate automatically. Instead, it stays awake until it reaches S3 timeout to go back to sleep.

I have run powercfg /systempowerreport and noticed there is a distinct difference between when the laptop successfully transitions to Hibernate, and when it does not.

• When it transitions successfully, the S3 Exit event is S4 Doze to Hibernate
    • When it does NOT transition successfully, the S3 Exit event is Device - ACPI Wake Alarm

I have tried creating new Power Plans, have updated my drivers, have the latest BIOS and EC firmware available for my laptop (MSI GS75), but cannot figure out this issue.

What could be causing this issue?

:)

SuperToast92, May 17, 2019
  2. DaveCG Win User

Transition from sleep to hibernate fails

I have a problem with my laptop not hibernating from sleep following the creators edition update.

Before the update I had my machine set to sleep after 20 minutes and hibernate after 30 minutes

For my usage this worked perfectly, if I didn't wake the machine up from sleep then

I would probably not be back for some time so would hibernate to save power.

Following the creators update my laptop would sleep fine but when it wakes to hibernate it fails and

goes back to sleep. This repeats for ever until I wake the machine.

If I manually hibernate the laptop it works fine.

I have tracked the problem down to a wake timer being set for a backup to a server running Windows Home Server 2011.

This wake timer prevents hibernating from sleep even if the wake timer is set for many hours in the future.

If I disable the task that sets this wake timer the sleep then hibernate operation works as it used to but

of course the backup never runs.

If I change the power option for wake timers to important events only the laptop works as it used to but it does not wake up

to carry out the backup.

I have carried out a number of tests and have discovered that any wake timer that is timed within 24 hours of the

attempt to go from sleep to hibernate will cause the transition to fail.

Could someone please test this as I can't believe this is how Microsoft designed it!!

DaveCG, May 17, 2019
  3. Hibernation and Sleep not working on my WIndows 10 PC after latest update

Hello,

There are many possible reasons for this hibernation and sleep not working issue. The most common causes are
    corrupted Power settings or outdated display drivers. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you get any error messages upon waking up your computer from hibernation/sleep?
    • Have you also tried performing the power troubleshooter?
    If you still haven't, we suggest trying the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, May 17, 2019
  4. PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate

Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

I beg to differ. Hibernation is for whatever situation hibernation is needed for, be it on a desktop or a laptop. For instance, desktop users who suffer from frequent blackouts would rather opt for hibernation instead of sleeping.

AFAIK, Sleep and Hibernate functions don't alter critical system files, so I don't think any permanent damage should occur. Worst I've seen are devices failing to wakeup properly, and that's easily fixed with a simple restart (or, in some cases, unpluging and repluging the device or restarting related services.)

Shihabyooo, May 17, 2019
Thema:

PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate

1. PC will not always transition properly from sleep to hibernate - Similar Threads - always transition properly

2. My Pc wont hibernate/sleep properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My Pc wont hibernate/sleep properly: usually when I put my pc to sleep or hibernate it anything connected stays powered and I can turn it back on by a mouse click or another input but now it just shuts off and takes a long time to do so also my rgb resets and apps close. i tried updates, restarts, and scans like...
  3. My Pc wont hibernate/sleep properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Pc wont hibernate/sleep properly: usually when I put my pc to sleep or hibernate it anything connected stays powered and I can turn it back on by a mouse click or another input but now it just shuts off and takes a long time to do so also my rgb resets and apps close. i tried updates, restarts, and scans like...
  4. My Pc wont hibernate/sleep properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC Shut down/Sleep/Hibernate always get BSODed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Shut down/Sleep/Hibernate always get BSODed: Laptop is Acer Predator PH3Q5-53CPU is Intel i5-10300H 2.5GhzRuns Windows 10 Home Version 21H2After getting back my Laptop from ACER Warranty Keyboard replacement, my Laptop now cannot shutdown/sleep/Hibernate without being BSODed 100% of the time. I've updated my windows...
  6. PC Shut down/Sleep/Hibernate always get BSODed

PC Shut down/Sleep/Hibernate always get BSODed: Laptop is Acer Predator PH3Q5-53CPU is Intel i5-10300H 2.5GhzRuns Windows 10 Home Version 21H2After getting back my Laptop from ACER Warranty Keyboard replacement, my Laptop now cannot shutdown/sleep/Hibernate without being BSODed 100% of the time. I've updated my windows...
  7. PC Shut down/Sleep/Hibernate always get BSODed

8. Task scheduler wakes from sleep/hibernation but PC then goes back to sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task scheduler wakes from sleep/hibernation but PC then goes back to sleep/hibernation: Hi,I have a HP EliteBook 840 G1 with Windows 10.I am looking to put my laptop to sleep/hibernation each night at a set time. Then the scheduler will wake the PC at a set time and run a .bat file. The Windows scheduler wakes the PC fine but after a few minutes it goes back to...
  9. Task scheduler wakes from sleep/hibernation but PC then goes back to sleep/hibernation

Task scheduler wakes from sleep/hibernation but PC then goes back to sleep/hibernation: Hi,I have a HP EliteBook 840 G1 with Windows 10.I am looking to put my laptop to sleep/hibernation each night at a set time. Then the scheduler will wake the PC at a set time and run a .bat file. The Windows scheduler wakes the PC fine but after a few minutes it goes back to...
  10. Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition

Windows 10 sleep into hibernate transition: Hi, I am a new user in this forum but have been reading it for years. I have an interesting observation to share and to seek some advice. I experimented with two laptops: Lenovo X220 (rather old one) and Samsung notebook NB9 (2019). Both run Windows 10 1909 version. I set...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. My laptop has problem transition from sleep to hibernate windows 10

2. how to run powercfg /systempowerreport on windows server 2018