Windows 10: PC will not boot into windows without secondary drives installed

Discus and support PC will not boot into windows without secondary drives installed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So whenever I remove my secondary drives at all for any reason it will no long boot into windows and will say something along the lines that it cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by snekkie, Mar 23, 2021.

1. snekkie Win User

PC will not boot into windows without secondary drives installed

So whenever I remove my secondary drives at all for any reason it will no long boot into windows and will say something along the lines that it cannot detect the drive with windows 10. So I end up not being able to boot into windows. this is a problem because one of my HDDs are starting to go bad and id like to be able to boot into windows after that drive goes bad. And id also like to keep all of my information and games without having to reset.

:)

snekkie, Mar 23, 2021

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Mar 23, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Prophet Win User

SSD as Boot and Raid as secondary

I've just bought a vertex 2 and have installed windows on it, but am having difficulties setting up a RAID0 with my 2 HDD's that i want to use as my backup/seconday drives. If i set my Sata config to raid it wont let me boot with my SSD. Any suggestions?

Prophet, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

1. PC will not boot into windows without secondary drives installed - Similar Threads - boot without secondary

2. How to reset pc without Windows Installation/ recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reset pc without Windows Installation/ recovery drive.: Earlier this year in may, I reset my pc because it was experiencing problems, but now I want to do it again because those problems have returned and I would like a fresh start. Whenever I go to reset this pc, it says " Insert your Windows Installation or recovery media, and...
  3. Transferring data from the boot drive to a secondary drive in a laptop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Transferring data from the boot drive to a secondary drive in a laptop: This may be a dumb question but I have new laptop with a 500GB boot drive and a secondary 1TB spinner drive in it but have no idea on how to transfer say photos and other data like that from the boot drive to the larger disk. I don't wantto copy the Windows installation as...
  4. Installing Win10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 on a secondary drive: Hey guys, this is probably one of the most common topics but I can't find a clean answer to my specific question. I've got two SSDs, a small old one and a big new one. Due to problems of certain software I want the big drive to be my new main drive with Win10 on it....
  5. Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD: My PC is a real mix of old and new parts and I currently have a problem where my 2TB mechanical HDD is failing. It is 100% active all the time, but frequently hangs or simply takes forever to browse or transfer any files, so I'm pretty sure it is on the way out. When I remove...
  6. Any Installer not working on secondary drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any Installer not working on secondary drive: During install of VM VirtualBox 5.1.18 on Windows 10 I get an error when installing to another drive (D*Smile, but on my main Windows harddrive (C*Smile it works just fine. I've tried installing other programs but they get interrupted as well. When the installer tries to make...
  7. Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD: So this interesting. I wanted to make an image of my machine since upgrading to Windows 10 and saw it kept on including my secondary drive (which has over 600 gigs of movies). I am not able to uncheck it. So I figured what the hell and disconnected the drive. My box will...
  8. PC wont boot when I remove secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC wont boot when I remove secondary hard drive: Hi guys, I'm trying to remove an old secondary drive which is making an annoying noise but when I do my pc wont boot. It just has a black screen and nothing happens. I think the problem might have come from when I installed ages ago and kept both drives in. How can I change...
  9. Windows boots on secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots on secondary monitor: Hello, I'm having an issue were the bios splash screen/Windows will boot up on the secondary monitor and then will go to the main so i can login.. i find this to be annoying and not only that.. it gives me an issue where if i alt tab out of my games.. it claims i have no...
  10. Allowing Computer to boot without secondary drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Allowing Computer to boot without secondary drive: All right, so I have an SSD and an HDD. Windows is installed to the SSD, but apparently Windows likes to create a boot partition on every drive that's connected when you install, which led to me not being able to boot without the secondary drive. This is usually not a problem...