Windows 10: PC will not detect second monitor

Discus and support PC will not detect second monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; So....I'm trying to connect a second monitor to my pc but it is not able to detect the second monitor. OS is windows 10 and my gfx card is a geforce... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by pyo, Jul 20, 2017.

1. PYO
    pyo Win User

PC will not detect second monitor

So....I'm trying to connect a second monitor to my pc but it is not able to detect the second monitor. OS is windows 10 and my gfx card is a geforce gtx 1050. there are 2 hdmi ports and one dvi port on the dedicated gfx card - main screen is connected via hdmi (which is working fine) but the second monitor i'm trying to connect only has a vga port so i'm using a dvi-vga converter. all the connections should be fine and all my drivers are up to date. i tried detecting the second screen through the nvidia control options and the windows display options but I'm not able to get my pc to detect the second monitor. if anyone can help me troubleshoot this issue, it'd be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance.

:)

2. jat65 Win User

Will not Detect Second Monitor- Display Adapter?

Hmm. "No integrity violations", so files OK.

But I have been doing some poking around- here is what I have found: As mentioned the Intel(R) graphics adapter is buggered up. I have read in a few other forums that this happened to others during this update and Intel (maybe) has a plan to work on it. Who
    knows. So as a result Windows deployed a generic version to cover for the Intel that is not working, all of this is because I do not have a dedicated graphics card. Apparently I'm patched right in. So when the Intel adapter went down and Windows installed
    the generic version it could not handle two monitors. I have a pretty powerful computer so maybe that made up for the lack of a dedicated card, and I don't do any gaming. This is the best I can figure right now. Anyway installing a card tomorrow I hope. I
    am hopeful this will do the trick.

jat65, Jul 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 will not detect second monitor. Win 7 had same issue but Win 10 seemed to fix it until 4 days ago.

I have read through every thread on this topic and tried everything I can find on the subject.

Been working on computers 16 years.... So naturally, I feel ridiculous that I can't seem to solve this issue!

I have an on board VGA and Serial ports and HDMI with ASUS Motherboard P8Z77-V Series. The HDMI is used on one screen and I can use one or the other on the 2nd screen. My displays both worked on "extend" perfectly fine when Win 10 upgraded from Win 7. I had
    this problem in Win 7 but it seemed the Win 10 upgrade fixed it until about 4 days ago and now it's giving me the same problem that it does not detect the second display.

The display driver is already installed (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000) so scanning for new hardware doesn't find the second display and trying to update the driver it says I already have the most up to date driver for this device.

Can someone please help? It's taking me nearly twice as long to update my spreadsheets because there are now extra clicks involved with everything due to using one screen.

JosephCahoon, Jul 20, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

The reason is that the GTX1050 card does not provide an analogue output. It only has a digital output. You will not be able to use an analogue monitor with this card unless you use an digital to analogue converter between the graphics card and the VGA monitor. A simple DVI to VGA adaptor will not provide the signal conversion.

philc43, Jul 20, 2017
  5. PYO
    pyo Win User
    that makes sense. thank you very much!

6. PYO
    pyo Win User
    I was able to find an active dvid to vga converter but i am still not able to enable the second monitor. i noticed when i reboot my pc, the vga monitor will show the bootup (which wasn't happening when i was attempting to use the passive converter) but when windows finishes loading, it moves over to my primary hdmi monitor and i am not able to enable the vga monitor. any ideas on what i might be doing wrong?

7. philc43 Win User
    Try using the windows key + P and then selecting the configuration you want.

philc43, Jul 22, 2017
  8. PYO
    pyo Win User

unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work ><

9. PYO
    pyo Win User
    at the time of my previous posts, my gfx drivers were up to date but i was just prompted to update my driver and after the update, my second screen is working. thanks philc43.

10. Congratulations that your issue is resolved. I too had this issue a year back.

clayvligon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC will not detect second monitor - Similar Threads - detect second monitor

2. Second monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor not detected: Split from this thread. I do not have any of these options on my computer. I wish I had never upgraded to Windows 11 this monitor problem has made my working life very difficult. I have to have a laptop open and my pc on so I can open items on 2 screens. Cannot move things...
  3. Second monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor not detected: Split from this thread. I do not have any of these options on my computer. I wish I had never upgraded to Windows 11 this monitor problem has made my working life very difficult. I have to have a laptop open and my pc on so I can open items on 2 screens. Cannot move things...
  4. Second monitor not detected

Second monitor not detected: Split from this thread. I have problem after Windows 11 installation [with second monitor not being detected]. I noticed this after the 22H2 update. I have tried all options above.The same laptop, same hdmi port, same cable works with a brand new ASUS monitor we purchased....
  5. Second monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor not detected: Split from this thread. I have problem after Windows 11 installation [with second monitor not being detected]. I noticed this after the 22H2 update. I have tried all options above.The same laptop, same hdmi port, same cable works with a brand new ASUS monitor we purchased....
  6. Second monitor is not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor is not detected: So I have 2 monitorssame model and one of them when I try to connect to my laptop it's not detected . I have only 1 hdmi port currently waiting for a docking to be deliveredWhat I've tried:1change the cable with one that I know it works2Connect it to a different laptop mac...
  7. Second monitor is not detected

Second monitor is not detected: So I have 2 monitorssame model and one of them when I try to connect to my laptop it's not detected . I have only 1 hdmi port currently waiting for a docking to be deliveredWhat I've tried:1change the cable with one that I know it works2Connect it to a different laptop mac...
  8. Second monitor is not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Second monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor not detected: After upgrade to Windows 10 Pro version 1809 my 2nd monitor is not detected. Updating display drivers for Intel HD graphics 4000 and Nvidia Geforce 710m graphics cards did not solve the problem. Rolled back to version 1803 and everything works fine. My laptop is an Acer...
  10. PC won't detect second monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    PC won't detect second monitor: I found a PC monitor in my basement, but when i tried to connect it to my PC, it could not be detected. HELP!!! 45330