Windows 10: PC will not power off when I select Shutdown

Discus and support PC will not power off when I select Shutdown in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently installed the latest round of updates to Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop as shown below.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bazsl1, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Bazsl1 Win User

PC will not power off when I select Shutdown

I recently installed the latest round of updates to Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop as shown below.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 21H2Installed on ‎9/‎14/‎2020OS build 19044.1645Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0Since installing the latest updates selecting Windows > Power > Shutdown shuts down Windows but does not tur

:)

Bazsl1, Apr 14, 2022

2. Windows 10 shutdown power still light and fan still working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the laptop will not shutdown completely. We will help you.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps you.

• Remove all the externally connected devices and cables including the battery.
    • Hold the power button for about a minute and release the power button.
    • Connect only the power cable and power on the PC.
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Apr 14, 2022
  3. Windows 10 shutdown power still light and fan still working

Sachin.V thank you for reply the post i hope no problem again . i try 2 times shutdown seen like problem solve thank you

cosmochong, Apr 14, 2022
  4. Arun B J Win User

My PC was shutdown suddenly by power cut off so now it had some errors

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

• Have you updated all the Windows and optional updates?

• Have you updated all the Drivers?

• What is that exact error message?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run the
    Power troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with power. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Power.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option
      on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting
      and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Power
      troubleshooter.

Step 2: Change the “Power plans” settings.

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings (like display, sleep, etc.) that manages how your PC uses power. The power plans you can use depend on the kind of PC you have.

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Apr 14, 2022
Thema:

1. PC will not power off when I select Shutdown - Similar Threads - power off select

2. Computer powers off when selecting sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer powers off when selecting sleep: Been experiencing issues where my desktop just shuts off when going into sleep mode. It happens whether I let the machine idle or even when I manually select sleep from the windows start menu. It seems like it completes the sleep prep process but then after a few seconds...
  3. Computer powers off when selecting sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer powers off when selecting sleep: Been experiencing issues where my desktop just shuts off when going into sleep mode. It happens whether I let the machine idle or even when I manually select sleep from the windows start menu. It seems like it completes the sleep prep process but then after a few seconds...
  4. Computer powers off when selecting sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Win 11 Dell desktop restarts when I select Power Off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 Dell desktop restarts when I select Power Off.: Win 11 Dell desktop restarts on its own after I press Power Off. This stared after I updated to WIN 11 Version 22H2Looking for help/settings how to keep power off after I select Power Off...
  6. Win 11 Dell desktop restarts when I select Power Off.

Win 11 Dell desktop restarts when I select Power Off.: Win 11 Dell desktop restarts on its own after I press Power Off. This stared after I updated to WIN 11 Version 22H2Looking for help/settings how to keep power off after I select Power Off...
  7. PC will not power off when I select Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will not power off when I select Shutdown: I recently installed the latest round of updates to Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop as shown below.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 21H2Installed on ‎9/‎14/‎2020OS build 19044.1645Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  8. PC will not power off when I select Shutdown

PC will not power off when I select Shutdown: I recently installed the latest round of updates to Windows 10 Pro on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop as shown below.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 21H2Installed on ‎9/‎14/‎2020OS build 19044.1645Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  9. PC always restarts when selecting shutdown.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC always restarts when selecting shutdown.: The title basically explains it all. I have tried everything. Disabling fast startup, disabling wake on LAN, trying a clean boot, and nothing has succeeded. This is a brand new installation of Windows as well. Any help is appreciated, thank you. submitted by...
  10. W10 installs Updates even when Power>Shutdown is selected.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 installs Updates even when Power>Shutdown is selected.: Almost every morning the two computers that have the ASRock Z97 Etreme6 MB's using the Intel I218-V controller are "awake". In each case a W10 update has been installed and in each case the system had been "Power>Shutdown" the night before. I have the Wake On... option...