Windows 10: pc will not power up unless electrical power shut off. why

Discus and support pc will not power up unless electrical power shut off. why in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; within the last day or two, i had shut down my dell pc. then yesterday when I pressed the power button on the dell tower, nothing happened. It appeared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ShastaPeck, Apr 22, 2020.

1. pc will not power up unless electrical power shut off. why

within the last day or two, i had shut down my dell pc. then yesterday when I pressed the power button on the dell tower, nothing happened. It appeared that the pc didnot turn on. I then unplugged the tower, display and printer from the power source. waited 10 seconds and then restored power. Only then will my pc power up.

:)

ShastaPeck, Apr 22, 2020

2. When I press the power button sleep, hibernated, or power down don't work my screen goes off but not my pc

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

To assist you better, I would like to know when exactly you had received this error. Are you able to boot the computer?

The following steps detail how to change what happens when the power button is pressed.

By default the power button will tell the computer to shut down, if it is not set to shut down, please follow the below steps.

• In the Windows search box enter ‘Power Options’ and click on it when it appears in the list.
    • On the left of the window, click on the ‘Choose what power buttons do’ link
    • Under ‘When I press the power button’ choose the option you want to change it to
      Shut Down.
    • Click ‘Save changes’ to save the changes.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

After performing the power troubleshooter, please perform the steps that has been provided above.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 22, 2020
  3. The light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your description, I understand that the light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise due to various reasons:

• System not properly shut down or might be in sleep mode.

• Power cord connected to the device.

• Change in the settings.
    I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• Did you make any recent changes to the settings?

• Does the CPU fan spins after the shutdown?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, (if you are using a laptop).

Unplug the charger from the lap top and check if the issue persists and also try to shut down from the lock screen.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 22, 2020
  4. pc will not power up unless electrical power shut off. why

Lost Power, now PC won't boot. Powers on and clicks.

I had tried both of those steps. Neither worked. I have a replacement power supply on order. Should be here on Monday. Thanks for the suggestions.

musiclover7, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

pc will not power up unless electrical power shut off. why

1. pc will not power up unless electrical power shut off. why - Similar Threads - power unless electrical

2. Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down: So a few moments ago my pc was updating to windows 11 but I accidentally powered it off during the update now when i go to turn it on again it shuts off and powers on over and over i cant even see the monitor turn on bc it’s happening so quick is there a way to fix this?...
  3. Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down: So a few moments ago my pc was updating to windows 11 but I accidentally powered it off during the update now when i go to turn it on again it shuts off and powers on over and over i cant even see the monitor turn on bc it’s happening so quick is there a way to fix this?...
  4. Pc powering on and off after accidental shut down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Ethernet adapter shuts down when power goes off PC running on UPS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet adapter shuts down when power goes off PC running on UPS: I did asked this question not too long ago and couldnt find a way to edit the post, I received help from other people but EVERYONE is missing the fact this is a PC not a LAPTOP, everyone giving me instructions for laptops. Please help if you have any idea.Trouble:Network...
  6. PC Power off/sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC Power off/sleep: Windows will not let my PC power off or go into 'sleep' mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-power-offsleep/85539172-e49a-47f8-bb69-19fee5d1aae2
  7. Powering off computer causes UPS to shut off all devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Powering off computer causes UPS to shut off all devices: I noticed this issue recently where I would normally shut down my computer, but for some reason my UPS would power off the devices connected to it. I've run a self-test on the UPS and it passed. Not really sure what the problem could be. This problem only started happening in...
  8. Shut down/Power off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut down/Power off: I have an HP laptop with windows 10 home. When I choose start/shut down, it closes everything and screen goes blank, but won't power down (off). It used to work. I have to manually turn it off....
  9. POWER SETTINGS - IF WATCHING A VIDEO WILL POWER SHUT OFF ?

POWER SETTINGS - IF WATCHING A VIDEO WILL POWER SHUT OFF ?: Hi, In the Power Settings, If I set the power to turn off in 1 hour, will it shut off even if I'm streaming a movie at the time? RAP Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64 bit). I upgraded my Win 8 machine to Win 10. Machine: Lenovo (i5) G500s Touch notebook (laptop)....
  10. PC power shut off when idle

PC power shut off when idle: My Lenovo all in one PC starts to shut off when idle a few days ago. Power supply is OK. Had a power outage a few days ago but I have surge protection and UPS, so don't think that caused it. Don't remember whether that happened right after the power outage. If this is a heat...