Windows 10: PC won't boot after installing new SSD

Discus and support PC won't boot after installing new SSD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I just bought and installed a new SSD on my PC previously had an SSD and HD. But when I tried to boot the PC, it showed a message "reboot and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AlexLi666, Nov 25, 2020.

1. AlexLi666 Win User

PC won't boot after installing new SSD

Hi, I just bought and installed a new SSD on my PC previously had an SSD and HD. But when I tried to boot the PC, it showed a message "reboot and select proper boot device... Press a key". I was able to boot the PC using windows boot manager. But the booting process is noticeably slower. What should I do now.

:)

AlexLi666, Nov 25, 2020

2. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Nov 25, 2020
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

4. PC won't boot after installing new SSD

New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

PC won't boot after installing new SSD

1. PC won't boot after installing new SSD - Similar Threads - won't boot installing

2. New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot: Ok so I have a new HP Pavilion Laptop 15t-eg300, 15.6". I bought a new hard drive and cloned the one from the laptop. I transferred all my files from my current computer to the new hard drive via USB. I finally replaced the old one with this one: Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D...
  3. New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New SSD Installed - Computer Won't Boot: Ok so I have a new HP Pavilion Laptop 15t-eg300, 15.6". I bought a new hard drive and cloned the one from the laptop. I transferred all my files from my current computer to the new hard drive via USB. I finally replaced the old one with this one: Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D...
  4. PC won't boot after I installed new M2 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't boot after I installed new M2 SSD: Hello, I've recently acquired an Nvme SSD, I never had one before, I only have 2 HDD 500gb each and Win10 is installed in one of them. Anyway, so as soon as I installed the ssd and attempted to boot the Pc, it didn't launch.I tried removing all Usb cables connected, tried to...
  5. PC won't boot after I installed new M2 SSD

PC won't boot after I installed new M2 SSD: Hello, I've recently acquired an Nvme SSD, I never had one before, I only have 2 HDD 500gb each and Win10 is installed in one of them. Anyway, so as soon as I installed the ssd and attempted to boot the Pc, it didn't launch.I tried removing all Usb cables connected, tried to...
  6. PC won't boot after I installed new M2 SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. New SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New SSD won't boot: I just cloned my Windows 10 partition to a new SSD, but it won't boot. I had Windows set up to dual boot to Windows XP on another partition on the same HD when I cloned it. I did not move that XP partition to the SSD, is that possibly the reason it won't boot? When I try to...
  8. New SSD won't boot

New SSD won't boot: I just cloned my Windows 10 partition to a new SSD, but it won't boot. I had Windows set up to dual boot to Windows XP on another partition on the same HD when I cloned it. I did not move that XP partition to the SSD, is that possibly the reason it won't boot? When I try to...
  9. New SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Bought new SSD, after installation PC will no longer boot properly even after SSD is removed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bought new SSD, after installation PC will no longer boot properly even after SSD is removed: Hi, I recently bought a second SSD drive and installed it. Upon installation, my PC started having major issues. First of all, my original SSD that I installed windows on will no longer boot properly- when booting directly from it now it just black screens. I tired to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows not booting after second ssd installed