Windows 10: PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

Discus and support PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Vin Natalizia, Aug 14, 2022.

1. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old HDD to the external. Once I did this, I removed the old HDD from the PC and swapped it with the new one. The PC now only boots into BIOS unless either 1. the external remains plugged in or 2. I take out the new HDD and put the old one back in.I'm not sure what is on the external that is not allowing the PC to boo

:)

Vin Natalizia, Aug 14, 2022

2. Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Aug 14, 2022
  3. External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 (usb port are fine)

I only suggested using the other PC in case you could not back up your files to the Windows 11 PC.

Are all HDD's not working on the Windows 11 PC or just external USB?

What normally works for this is what I gave you, so I'd at least try it if the other steps I gave didn't work.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020, Aug 14, 2022
  4. Dεss™ Win User

PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

Windows keep booting into Bios when I unplug my external HDD

Hi,

My windows keep booting into Bios when I unplugged my external hdd.

I've checked the boot priority and it's set to boot from my C drive, but when I unplug the external HDD before starting up, it just can't boot normally.

I can boot just fine with the external HDD plugged in.

I have the external HDD before I got my current PC, so I'm certain it doesn't have my operating system inside.

I can't seem to figure out a solution. Need some advise whether or not I should reformat my PC, and if so, how should I format my PC without a pendrive?

Thanks in advance.

Dεss™, Aug 14, 2022
Thema:

PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

1. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD - Similar Threads - Won't Boot Normally

2. PC won't recognise external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't recognise external USB HDD: I had a windows 10 PC which failed to boot from an SSD CPU or MB issue . 2 HDDs were installed but used only for data. Now I replaced it with an Acer TC-1660 with Windows 11. I'm trying to transfer the data from the old HDD to the new PC. I attach the HDD Seagate ST 1000DM003...
  3. PC won't recognise external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won't recognise external USB HDD: I had a windows 10 PC which failed to boot from an SSD CPU or MB issue . 2 HDDs were installed but used only for data. Now I replaced it with an Acer TC-1660 with Windows 11. I'm trying to transfer the data from the old HDD to the new PC. I attach the HDD Seagate ST 1000DM003...
  4. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  5. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  6. Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached: I recently was given a new computer when I began working for a new employer. The files from my previous computer on one drive were now on the new one. Some of these were personal so I moved the ones I wanted from One Drive to an external drive. Since then, if I boot up...
  7. external HDD will not boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external HDD will not boot: I have 3- Seagate 8TB external HDD. I was the Windows disk cleaning to recover space. deleting temp files, unused files, etc. I have used this tool before and it is pretty straight forward. the disk cleaning finished I turned the computer off as I normally do. the next day...
  8. won't boot with external hdd plugged in

won't boot with external hdd plugged in: My Dell insiron desktop will not boot when I have my usb external hdd plugged in. When I was on Win7, this wasn't a problem because I would unplug it when restarting after doing Windows updates. Now that Win10 pro 64 automatically updates and restarts my computer on its own,...
  9. Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD

Main SDD won't boot without secondary HDD: So this interesting. I wanted to make an image of my machine since upgrading to Windows 10 and saw it kept on including my secondary drive (which has over 600 gigs of movies). I am not able to uncheck it. So I figured what the hell and disconnected the drive. My box will...
  10. PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected

PC won't boot unless an empty HDD is connected: So my HDD of almost two years seem to be acting...weird lately. I checked it out with CrystalDiskInfo, and it didn't look good. [img] I searched the internet on what that means, and it looks like it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I can't get a new one at the...