Windows 10: PC won’t boot to Windows 10, black screen with cursor

Discus and support PC won’t boot to Windows 10, black screen with cursor in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have two monitors plugged into my PC, one in the GPU and one using the motherboard. Today, my monitor plugged in the motherboard went completely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by donnieberry1, Jul 10, 2019.

1. PC won’t boot to Windows 10, black screen with cursor

I have two monitors plugged into my PC, one in the GPU and one using the motherboard.

Today, my monitor plugged in the motherboard went completely pixelated randomly and froze my computer so I held down the power button.

When I turned it on, I got a windows blue screen saying Kernal error or something along those lines.

Now when I boot my PC, when it attempts to load windows after showing the ASUS logo and loading, my screen is completely black and there’s a mouse cursor I can move around and that’s it, nothing else appears at all.

After a few seconds of moving the mouse then stopping, the mouse will disappear. It also randomly displays a loading symbol next to the mouse every few seconds

I can boot into BIOS just fine but not into windows, any suggestions?

:)

donnieberry1, Jul 10, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User

Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, Jul 10, 2019
  3. drreflex Win User
    Black Screen With Cursor PLEASE HELP

THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN AN ONGOING ISSUE WITH WINDOWS 10.

Below is a Microsoft Knoledge Base entry from April of this year.

httpw://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3055414

"The lock screen in Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 might appear as a black screen with a mouse cursor
    Symptoms

When you sign out of Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 and return to the lock screen, you might see only a black screen with a responsive mouse cursor. Pressing the Alt+Tab keys or the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys has no visible effect.
    Workaround

If you are experiencing this issue, follow these steps to sign into Windows:

At the black screen, press the Ctrl key once on an attached physical keyboard. (You won’t see any visible change, but pressing the Ctrl key will place the cursor in the password box that you’re currently not able to see.)

Now type the password of the user that just signed out and press Enter.This will sign you back into Windows and the desktop will appear.

If you failed to sign in because you mistyped the password, press Enter once more. Then retype the password and press Enter." ...

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10. AFTER ENTERING YOUR PASSWORD, THE CURSOR SHOULD VANISH FOR SEVERAL MINUTES WHILE WINDOWS COMPLETES THE INSTALL SETUP. MY COMPUTER, A FAST ALIENWARE, TOOK ABOUT FIVE MINUTES TO COMPLETE THE SETUP AND THEN THE WINDOWS 10 DESKTOP APPEARED.

drreflex, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

PC won’t boot to Windows 10, black screen with cursor

Laptop went black and won;t reboot

Hi Andree,

Hardware and software conflict is one of the possible reasons why you're experiencing black screen. Sometimes, it is also because of hardware failure. To get this issue fixed, we suggest that you
    boot into Safe Mode by following these steps:

• Turn off your computer 3 times while booting. Windows should automatically boot to the Recovery Environment after 3 unsuccessful attempts in a row.
    • Once you are within the Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, and then
      Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and
      Restart
      . When it restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for
      Safe Mode with Networking.
    Once your computer is in Safe Mode, please follow the workaround provided on this
    link. Simply select the similar case that you're experiencing to show the troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

PC won’t boot to Windows 10, black screen with cursor

1. PC won’t boot to Windows 10, black screen with cursor - Similar Threads - won’t boot black

2. Windows won’t boot, black screen with cursor or boot loop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won’t boot, black screen with cursor or boot loop.: I turned on my computer just fine this morning, had to download an update for my keyboard, and so I had to restart it. When I restarted it, instead of going to the start menu it started saying fixing drives, and it got stuck on 100% for 10 minutes so I restarted it again and...
  3. PC booting to a black screen with cursor

PC booting to a black screen with cursor: Hey, My PC was working fine yesterday night as it installed the latest update. This morning however I cannot access anything anymore. As soon as it boots I don't see the login screen but go directly to a black screen where I can move my cursor. I've been googling around...
  4. PC boots up into a black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC boots up into a black screen with cursor: I recently began having problems booting up. The pc starts up on a black screen where nothing works except win+p. I also got another error saying that the boot partition is missing. Is there a way of fixing this without losing any data?...
  5. My PC boots to this black screen with cursor.

My PC boots to this black screen with cursor.: I need help, what do I do, I just booted up my PC, it runs Windows 10, and after the HP logo goes away, the lock screen doesn't appear, instead it's a black screen, I can move my cursor around, but that's it, can't do anything, Is this a fix for this issue without...
  6. Installation of windows 10 on new pc. Won’t boot, black screen with blinking cursor

Installation of windows 10 on new pc. Won’t boot, black screen with blinking cursor: I putted my windows 10 64-bit in my dvd driver, and took my dvd as the first boot option, but when I boot the system it just shows me a black screen with blinking cursor. I also tried to put the windows down on a usb, but it shows the same. Also tried with uefi, but with no...
  7. Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor

Windows 10 not booting up - Black screen with cursor: I shut down my laptop properly - no hard boot - and the next time I turned it on, I got a black screen with the cursor. I have tried a bunch of things but to no avail. I don't have any peripherals attached. Everything was working fine until the last shut down, all...
  8. Booting to black screen with cursor

Booting to black screen with cursor: Hello and thank you all for any help or ideas. In general, on startup my computer is 'scanning and repairing' drives, then booting into a black screen with cursor. I don't have a pc easily available to install usb boot programs but have tried a couple thus far. Refreshing or...
  9. Windows boots to black screen, no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen, no cursor: Windows 10 Prof x64 Sager Laptop, i7 NVidia 980M<br /><br /> This morning I resumed my computer back from sleep and different programs started hanging. So, I decided to restart. I restarted my computer and it stayed on the restart screen for ages, like 30 minutes. So I...
  10. Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 commonly boots to a black screen with no cursor?: Yeah, just registered with Ten Forums and all that good stuff, and so here's my first of possibly many issues I shall bring to you. xD I upgraded my preview build of Windows 10 (10130) to the pro final version because the preview wasn't able to find additional builds and kept...