Windows 10: PC Won't boot when RAM sticks are in indicated slots, but WILL boot when in "wrong" slots.

Discus and support PC Won't boot when RAM sticks are in indicated slots, but WILL boot when in "wrong" slots. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/Edgy_Gandalf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hrqlkq/pc_wont_boot_when_ram_sticks_are_in_indicated/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Edgy_Gandalf, Jul 15, 2020.

1. PC Won't boot when RAM sticks are in indicated slots, but WILL boot when in "wrong" slots.

/u/Edgy_Gandalf, Jul 15, 2020
  2. erocker Win User

PC only boots with 2 sticks of ram in 2 exact slots

So, two different motherboards, two different sets of RAM and it will only boot with two sticks in the furthest slots from the CPU.

I'm completely stumped! *Confused PC Won't boot when RAM sticks are in indicated slots, but WILL boot when in "wrong" slots. :confused: Call a Priest maybe?

Are either sets of RAM on the compatibility list and have you updated the bios' for either board?

erocker, Jul 15, 2020
  3. GertV Win User
    BSOD when using a certain RAM slot

Hello

I've been having this BSOD issue for quite some time now during certain games and finally decided I should do something about it.

Things I have done already:
    • formatted my pc
    • memtest (two times overnight no issues found)
    • Updated bios to a new version but not the newest
    • played around with my RAM sticks

The last thing is where things get interesting. I've got 4 slots on my motherboard as per the manual I am using slot A2 and B2. However this configuration gives me a BSOD after 5-1 hour of stress testing(prime985)When I run one stick in slot A2 it is having the same issue. When I put the same stick in B2 there is no issue for over 8+ hours (longest I've run it for). I've tried reading and understanding the minidump files but came up blank. So I am hoping a more experienced guy can help me out with my issues. But my guess right now is that my MB has become defective, I really hope this is not the case though

GertV, Jul 15, 2020
  4. PC Won't boot when RAM sticks are in indicated slots, but WILL boot when in "wrong" slots.

Ram slot

Greetings my friend. Like 'Mike P', my dell has only two slots as well. There are several laptops that have four (4) ram slots. Lenovo, ASUS, some HP's and some dell's. I would suggest going to a website like newegg.com, or other computer accessory place,
    and looking at their memory/ram selections. Reading their details should provide some insight as to the number of slots.

Of course, if your budget allows, the more ram you have, the better the laptop will be.

I hope this helps.

Derek

DerekW USA, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

PC Won't boot when RAM sticks are in indicated slots, but WILL boot when in "wrong" slots.

1. PC Won't boot when RAM sticks are in indicated slots, but WILL boot when in "wrong" slots. - Similar Threads - Won't boot RAM

2. PC Won't Boot after Install of Identical RAM in Last Open Slot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Won't Boot after Install of Identical RAM in Last Open Slot: Hey folks,I just got a final stick of RAM to fill all my mother board slots. I currently have 3 of 4 slots filled with Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400MHz DDR4, for a total of 24GB RAM. The new RAM stick is identical in every way, including timing 16-16-16-39 on both. The only...
  3. PC Won't Boot after Install of Identical RAM in Last Open Slot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Won't Boot after Install of Identical RAM in Last Open Slot: Hey folks,I just got a final stick of RAM to fill all my mother board slots. I currently have 3 of 4 slots filled with Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400MHz DDR4, for a total of 24GB RAM. The new RAM stick is identical in every way, including timing 16-16-16-39 on both. The only...
  4. PC Won't Boot after Install of Identical RAM in Last Open Slot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Looking for free app to test RAM sticks and slots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Looking for free app to test RAM sticks and slots: I am having issues resulting in the BSOD and after doing a number of things, I have come to the conclusion that my problem is either a RAM stick and/or a memory socket. Without going into EVERYTHING that I have already done and what else it might be, what I am doing here is...
  6. Looking for free app to test RAM sticks and slots

Looking for free app to test RAM sticks and slots: I am having issues resulting in the BSOD and after doing a number of things, I have come to the conclusion that my problem is either a RAM stick and/or a memory socket. Without going into EVERYTHING that I have already done and what else it might be, what I am doing here is...
  7. need help with ram slots

need help with ram slots: so i have 4 slots 2 black 2 gray one black is A1 the next gray is A2 then same color order but B1and B2 im using 2 sticks 16gb should they both be in A1 and A2 or what order??...
  8. Ram 4 slot Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Ram 4 slot Question: I already have 2 x 8 gb ram and speed is 3000 mhz and i can overclock it to 2800 mhz two ram without issues. I Just bought another 2 x 8gb ram same model same speed. But if i insert 4 all ram i cannot run it on 2800mhz. it always reset to default 2133mhz. Already cleared...
  9. RAM Or mobo ram slot problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAM Or mobo ram slot problem: Noobie here! Just wanna ask cause I'm having troubles determining whether the ram or ram slot is the problem in my pc. My pc's been recently having BSOD saying "Machine check exception". I've tried every solutions online but it doesnt fix the problem, every time I try to...
  10. BSOD when using a certain RAM slot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when using a certain RAM slot: Hello I've been having this BSOD issue for quite some time now during certain games and finally decided I should do something about it. Things I have done already: formatted my pc memtest (two times overnight no issues found) Updated bios to a new version but not the...