Windows 10: PC won't detect headphones

Discus and support PC won't detect headphones in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have tried both front and rear inputs and still no success. My PC won't recognize my headphones being plugged in. They're headphones with a USB and 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jamietylerr, Jan 13, 2016.

1. PC won't detect headphones

I have tried both front and rear inputs and still no success. My PC won't recognize my headphones being plugged in. They're headphones with a USB and 2 jacks (speakers and mic), and when plugged in the green light is active on the headphones showing their working/have power. Changing the connector to a solo jack, I can plug it into my PS4 / iPhone and it works fine. However on my PC it doesn't work, despite it working completely fine for 2 weeks until 2 days ago.

I've tried going to device manager and updating drivers, and I've also tried managing audio settings and making it my default device but the PC is not picking up the headphones exist, even after ticking Show Disabled Devices. In device managers, the headphones aren't under "Sound, video and game controllers", "Audio inputs and outputs", or "Unknown Devices" (as I have no Unknown Devices menu). I do not have RealTek Audio Manager. These are the solutions that worked for most people but not myself.

The events that led to this error was last night I was trying to watch a film but my TV (which is my monitor) speakers weren't working. After updating sound drivers and realising they were for some reason disabled, I re-enabled them and they worked fine. However, disabling them again does not fix the problem. The PC does not pick up the headphones at all, mic or sound. I do believe that it is an issue with the newest drivers I installed after upgrading to Windows 10 three days ago. The headphones worked fine on Windows 10, but I believe the issue is with the new drivers I installed to make my TV speakers work. Unfortunately I do not know how to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

:)

jamietylerr, Jan 13, 2016

2. Bluetooth Connection

I have a pair of BOSE bluetooth headphones that used to connect automatically to my pc. About 3 weeks ago they started randomly disconnecting so I unpaired them. Now they won't pair again despite the pc detecting it. Just says cannot connect.

Maya D'Sousa, Jan 13, 2016
  3. Headphone not working at all in Windows 10

My Pc doesnt detect my headphones, they dont even appear in the sound tab, ive tried usb headphones and 3.5mm jack headphones and it doesnt detect it(ive also tried multiple headphones) and the usb port detect everything else except for the headphones.

Also, im not using realtek audio driver, im using Nvidia Audio Driver, i tried to install realtek but it gives me error code 10

My pc specs are:

Gtx 750 TI

Q9400

8gb Ram

Windows 10 Pro

DanielFernandez2002, Jan 13, 2016
  4. PC won't detect headphones

Ok I just wrote out more information but of course I accidentally backed and deleted it all so I'll summarise it.

I think it's the drivers Windows 10 recommended. Since I upgraded they stopped working. My sound drivers are now:
    -NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    -NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
    -VIA HD Audio (Win10) / This is new and potentially the problem.

I can't revert to the old ones as the "Roll back drivers" is grey'd out for whatever reason.

jamietylerr, Jan 13, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    Can you give the make and model of the headphones. I'll check their details tomorrow (its bit late now).

swarfega, Jan 14, 2016
  6. Asus Strix Pro Gaming Headset. Let me know if you need anything else

jamietylerr, Jan 14, 2016
  7. Could really use a hand here guys...

I googled my motherboard manufacturer and tried to download the newest sound drivers for my model. It was RealTek. I uninstall my current sound drivers and install the new one. When it prompts me to restart, I do so, and when my system boots back up, the old drivers are still there and the new ones are no where to be seen....

Also, I went into device manager and clicked update on my current sound drivers, but this time clicked browse > "pick from my computer", and found some drivers on my PC that I don't remember using but must have been my old ones. I tried these, and now my headphones work but the mic still doesn't work, and it's not fixed as my PC still doesn't identify them as headphones, just external speakers. This proves my jacks aren't broken at least. So it has to be a driver issue but I can't get the new ones to work. Maybe it's something with my headphones but I've tried searching that and I can't find anything. This problem has persisted for a while now and it's infuriating.

Motherboard manufacturer - Gigabyte Technology Co.
    Model - GA-78LMT-USB3

EDIT:
    Ok so I downloaded a new USB driver thing for my motherboard which was good. Now when I plug the green jack into the green port it says "Jack plugged in, please choose speaker: Right/Left/Center/Back" so for some reason it thinks that any device plugged in is a speaker and not a headset. I can't explain this so if this helps anyone then there you go. When I plug the mic in it gives the same options, but adds "Microphone" which of course I click. Doesn't change anything though, still doesn't recognize it.

jamietylerr, Jan 16, 2016
  8. PC won't detect headphones

Come on guys

jamietylerr, Jan 20, 2016
  9. eastman Win User
    Update your audio driver, also Realtek Hd Audio Manager is a really useful program for tweaking your sound card. I use it all the time to tweak sound output for various games or for just straight up music. It also helps when my mic goes quiet and then I can boost the input. Really nice app. It also shows what audio ports are being used, very useful for troubleshooting invisible hardware.

eastman, Jan 21, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    If you are connected to your TV thru HDMI, than sound is controlled by video card drivers, not Realtek.

CountMike, Jan 21, 2016
  11. eastman Win User
    My tv is connected via HDMI, but it also has a standard audio port connected with an audio cable to the sound card, audio is going directly between.

eastman, Jan 21, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    Maybe you should stick to HDMI sound only, it's digital while thru sound chip is analog. Why are you using both ?

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PC won't detect headphones

1. PC won't detect headphones - Similar Threads - won't detect headphones

2. PC not detecting headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not detecting headphones: I just got a set of headphones but my does not detect them. When I try to connect them though the Jack port the PC does ask what I have connected, but nothing happpens after that...
  3. PC not detecting headphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not detecting headphones: I just got a set of headphones but my does not detect them. When I try to connect them though the Jack port the PC does ask what I have connected, but nothing happpens after that...
  4. Laptop won't detect headphone's mic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't detect headphone's mic: I just bought a pair of cheap little headphone with built in microphone, but no matter what i do, the computer just won't use the mic. I hear audio through the headphones just fine, but no microphone shows up in devices besides the default built-in mic. My laptop does have a...
  5. Laptop won't detect headphone's mic

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't detect headphone's mic: I just bought a pair of cheap little headphone with built in microphone, but no matter what i do, the computer just won't use the mic. I hear audio through the headphones just fine, but no microphone shows up in devices besides the default built-in mic. My laptop does have a...
  6. Laptop won't detect headphone's mic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Headphones detected but not working in PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones detected but not working in PC: I've tried everything from updating the drivers, troubleshooting multiple times, turning things off in the properties window in both my speakers and headphones, removed my other headphones, and enabling my headphones after disabling them and nothing has worked.The headset is...
  8. won't detect that my headphones are plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    won't detect that my headphones are plugged in: my dell laptop won't detect that headphones are plugged in. it used to work but now it doesn't. I've tried to update my drivers but there are no updates available. I've tried all the methods they say online but they don't work either as my headphones just aren't detected and...
  9. My PC won't detect bluetooth headphones?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My PC won't detect bluetooth headphones?: Any ideas? When I go to add bluetooth devices on my PC I can add iPhone, TVs, printers, etc.... But my skull candy heaphones, by JBL headphones and my airpods will not even be detected by the bluetooth on my PC when I attempt to pair them. All of these headphones work on my...
  10. Won't detect headphones

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Won't detect headphones: I found the other day that when I plug headphones into my audio jack I can't get the sound to play through them. It continues to play sound through my monitor instead regardless of which option I choose. I've determined it can't be the jack because I tried plugging into the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to detect headphone for pc

2. my pc wont detect my headphones