Windows 10: PC won't play sound

Discus and support PC won't play sound in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently updated some of my audio drivers because my computer kept crashing (thread stuck in device driver error) and that appeared to be the only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by M12212, Sep 24, 2018.

1. M12212 Win User

PC won't play sound

I recently updated some of my audio drivers because my computer kept crashing (thread stuck in device driver error) and that appeared to be the only driver for which an update was available.

Now I have no sound. My speakers won't play any sound of any kind (system sounds or audio files), though whenever I try to play something the level indicator responds as if something were playing. When I try to plug in headphones (any pair to either of my two headphone jacks) the headphones are not even recognized as being connected. DxDiag and the device properties of the speaker and driver all state that everything is functioning normally.

I've tried:

- Rolling back all the drivers I installed recently

- Disabling and re-enabling all audio hardware

- The Windows troubleshooter

- Checked Windows update, my audio manufacturer (Realtek), and my laptop manufacturer (Toshiba), for missing audio drivers

- Tried switching from the Realtek audio driver too Windows Generic "High Definition Audio Device"

- Checked that nothing was deleted or malfunctioning in AutoRuns

- Checked my registry but found no errors

- Tried running SFC system scan from Command Prompt- found no irregularities

- Tried system restore to before losing audio

- Tried a clean installation of Windows 10

Before reinstalling Windows, the Windows troubleshooters (device, drivers, and sound) would all say everything is working normally. Now I receive the message that I do not have permissions to run the troubleshooters ( "c:\windows\system32\msdt.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, file, or path. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item")

:)

M12212, Sep 24, 2018

2. microsoft store games won`t play

when I download a game from the Microsoft store it won`t play

the splash screen appears then goes

I have a core i5 with an nvidivia graphics card I tb hdd and 8 gb ram

I have tried the diagnostic for microsoft store and it say cache may need fixing.

garrywilliams1, Sep 24, 2018
  3. No sound while playing audio and video files.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer to a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Which is the application that you are using to play the files?
    • Did you try the same on a different player?
    • Did you perform any troubleshooting steps?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the volume is set low or in mute state in Volume Mixer.

• Right click on sound icon.
    • Open Volume Mixer check for the application that you are playing the files with and increase the volume and check.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to run “Playing audio” troubleshooter to diagnose and fix the issue.

Follow these Steps to run Playing Audio Troubleshooter in Windows 10.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Playing audio.

Also refer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the sound issue. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Sep 24, 2018
  4. PC won't play sound

my n97 won t charge or connect

when i put a usb on my n97 it won t charge when i put on the computer it won t say nokia pc suite or else it not reading the usb cannot work on my phone plz hel

karim71---01, Sep 24, 2018
Thema:

PC won't play sound

1. PC won't play sound - Similar Threads - won't play sound

2. Sound won't play from the internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound won't play from the internet.: The sound works fine if it is music that is saved on my computer iTunes, Rekordbox etc but not if it is streaming from the internet or Spotify ap. I have tried many different browsers and reset my computer....
  3. Sound won't play from the internet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound won't play from the internet.: The sound works fine if it is music that is saved on my computer iTunes, Rekordbox etc but not if it is streaming from the internet or Spotify ap. I have tried many different browsers and reset my computer....
  4. Windows won't play any sound

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows won't play any sound: Hi, so I recently got a new Windows laptop around a month ago. It was working perfectly fine, until one day it just stopped playing any audio. It doesn't work whether I'm using headphones or not, but if I plug it into the TV HDMI it works. If I try play any audio files or try...
  5. Pc won't play sound.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc won't play sound.: Recently i unplugged my headphones to see if my new speakers on my laptop were working. i started a song, mp3 file in case you were wondering and it came out w/ an error message saying "the file was encoded in an unsupported format". i tried plugging my headphones in, and now...
  6. HDMI won't play sound.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDMI won't play sound.: I had a problem a few months ago when my sound drivers stopped working and it was really difficult to fix. I had to uninstall every sound driver i had and reinstall them but now when i plug an HDMI cable my laptop won't detect the tv as a sound device. and i have a sound...
  7. HDMI won't play sound.

HDMI won't play sound.: I had a problem a few months ago when my sound drivers stopped working and it was really difficult to fix. I had to uninstall every sound driver i had and reinstall them but now when i plug an HDMI cable my laptop won't detect the tv as a sound device. and i have a sound...
  8. Sound suddenly won't play.

Sound suddenly won't play.: Hi. I have a problem with my Realtek sound. It was working fine until Friday. No sound would play through it. When I try to run a test, it would say "Error. Failed to play test tone". Now I've been through the entire "Fix Sound Problems in Windows 10" 10 point list. It still...
  9. Chrome Won't Play Sound

Chrome Won't Play Sound: Hello, There was a recent update that went out for Windows 10 which I got. Shortly thereafter I downloaded Discord on my laptop. While in Discord, I was testing out their new screen sharing function by playing a youtube video which noticeably wasn't playing sound. Ever...
  10. Error sounds won't play

Error sounds won't play: I've been having a problem, and it started ever since I changed my system sound scheme. It worked fine until I restarted my computer, and now whenever I get an error or trigger things that should make a sound, nothing happens. I changed it back to default but still no sound...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc sound wont play on apps