Windows 10: PC won't recognise 64 Gb SDXC card

Discus and support PC won't recognise 64 Gb SDXC card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought 2 64Gb SDXC cards back in September and my PC running Windows 10 PRO recognised these cards and I was able to write to them. I bought another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by millerhouse12, Dec 11, 2017.

1. PC won't recognise 64 Gb SDXC card

I bought 2 64Gb SDXC cards back in September and my PC running Windows 10 PRO recognised these cards and I was able to write to them. I bought another one a few days ago, but the PC will not recognise the card and when I tried the 2 cards I already had again, it wouldn't recognise them either. The PC will read an 8Gb Kingston 133X card and lots of other small cards without problems. My laptop will read these SDXC cards without problems. It is running Windows 10 Home, which is also Version 1709, build 16299.98 & both laptop & PC are running what appears to be the same driver - a generic Microsoft driver dated 21/9/2006 version 10.0.16299.15 Also my digital camera and my Panasonic video camera will recognise the cards. I've tried updating the PC driver, but Windows insists that the driver installed is the best available. The PC has just done a big Windows update but that hasn't cured the problem. I'm baffled - has anybody got any suggestions?I don't really want to roll back to any old version of Windows, especially as I've no idea when the problem started. The card reader is built in to the PC and came bundled with the machine (about 7 years old) and appears to be some generic make as there is no manufacturer's name visible. I've ordered a plug-in card reader to see if that will work, but I'm not hopeful.

:)

millerhouse12, Dec 11, 2017

2. While playing music error code shows 80070003

All music synched from PC and Xbox music download (same tracks) on Lumia 830 WP 8.1 playing from Samsung 64 GB SD card. I replicated the issue on a brand new Samsung 64 GB SDxc card this evening.

SlackwaterSF, Dec 11, 2017
  3. musica31 Win User
    SD Crad Detected but doenst show up files - Lumia 720

Windows Phone 8 supports SDHC cards (in FAT file system format) or SDXC (in exFAT file system format):

• Up to 32-GB SDHC cards using the FAT file system.
    • 64-GB SDXC cards using the exFAT file system.
    You may consider formatting the memory card again using your PC in this case.

musica31, Dec 11, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

PC won't recognise 64 Gb SDXC card

Poor contacts in the SD Card Reader/SD Card are a problem.
    Cleaning the contacts on the SD Card reader works for my Laptop, 4 years old. I do that by carefully using a small sliver of suitable cardboard, slightly damp, slightly rough but does not shed bits.

Also similarly deal with the SD Card contacts as well.

Air duster cans don't work other than to shift some loose dust out.
    It's the same driver on mine.

Helmut, Dec 11, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    All the SDXC cards I've seen/have come with an adapter for the SD slot, could be an issue there. I carry a USB adapter that accepts both the SD and SDXC cards, handy for transferring pictures from a cellphone, cameras, etc. It was under $20 at Wal*Mart.

Berton, Dec 11, 2017
  6. Dlambert Win User
    Hi, millerhouse12
    It could be the problem of file system on your SDXC card. Windows only recognize three file systems, NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT. Please make sure your SD card is of one of them. You can check that in Disk Management.
    If that is the problem, you can format SD card to FAT32 or exFAT with Disk Management or Diskpart and try again.
    Best regard.

Dlambert, Dec 11, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
  8. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Dec 11, 2017
  9. SDXC cards are the same size as SD cards. so don't need an adapter
    John M

10. SDXC cards come pre-formatted as exFAT and my version of W10 should recognise that format and it would seem that it has done previously. It's quite an old reader but the PC was bought after 2008, so should also be compatible.
    John M

11. strollin Win User
    @OP - Are you absolutely positive your PC was able to read/write to those cards previously? The fact that the reader in your PC can read an 8GB card but not the 64GB card leads me to suspect that the reader does not support SDXC cards but only SDHC and below.

strollin, Dec 11, 2017
  12. Yes, I'm pretty sure that the cards have worked previously on my PC. I bought a new video camera and was concerned about how I would transfer the information from the camera to my PC as that is where my Video editing program resides. My laptop doesn't have the same software so there would have been no point in testing the card transfer process there. As I said earlier, I've ordered an external reader which advertises SDXC as being compatible which I hope will prove or otherwise that there's something in the PC which is not working. I'll post the results on here when it arrives. I was hoping somebody might have encountered a similar problem as there has been lots of instances of problems with W10 & SD card readers.
    John M

millerhouse12, Dec 12, 2017
  13. PC won't recognise 64 Gb SDXC card

Got the plug-in card reader today and it read the SDXC cards without any problems. The fault obviously lies with my built-in card reader. I would have sworn that this reader has read the cards in the past, but obviously I must be mistaken. I can only plead senility. Thanks anyway to all who responded - problem not entirely solved but a decent workaround will do for me.
    John M

millerhouse12, Dec 14, 2017
  14. EdTittel Win User
    John: Don't be too hard on yourself. The reader could've failed recently, and really did work before. Hardware is cheap, but time is irreplaceable. Count your blessings that you've found a viable solution/workaround. Thanks for sharing your solution, too.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC won't recognise 64 Gb SDXC card - Similar Threads - won't recognise SDXC

2. Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 256 GB card unmounting automatically from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 256 GB card unmounting automatically from Windows 11: I have a Samsung Galaxy Book Go with Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 running on Windows 11. I bought a Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 256 GB card for storage. The problem is that the SD Card keeps unmounting automatically after few minutes and needs to be physically removed and reinserted....
  3. Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 256 GB card unmounting automatically from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 256 GB card unmounting automatically from Windows 11: I have a Samsung Galaxy Book Go with Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 running on Windows 11. I bought a Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC 256 GB card for storage. The problem is that the SD Card keeps unmounting automatically after few minutes and needs to be physically removed and reinserted....
  4. PC won't recognise external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't recognise external USB HDD: I had a windows 10 PC which failed to boot from an SSD CPU or MB issue . 2 HDDs were installed but used only for data. Now I replaced it with an Acer TC-1660 with Windows 11. I'm trying to transfer the data from the old HDD to the new PC. I attach the HDD Seagate ST 1000DM003...
  5. Windows 10 2004 makes SDXC card reader pause and stutter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 2004 makes SDXC card reader pause and stutter: My SDXC card reader was working perfectly. I would read PDFs on it, play music, and watch videos on it. I'm running a Dell Latitude system. I waited three months for Microsoft to work the kinks out of the Spring 2020 Windows 10 upgrade version 2004. Then I upgraded to v2004...
  6. SD card not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD card not recognised: There was a similar thread a couple of years ago but this is now locked and I'm still looking for a solution. I'm using an SD card in a Lenovo MIIX 320 to extend storage. 9 times out of 10 the card is unrecognised. Disabling the Storage Controller and then re-enabling it...
  7. sd card not recognised

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sd card not recognised: have a new asus laptop with windows 10 its not recognising that i insert any sd card. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-not-recognised/552b5094-5f9a-4e6a-8489-85088a376087
  8. SD card not recognised in Windows 10 pc

SD card not recognised in Windows 10 pc: please help...my sd card not recognised in my wndows 10 pc...ive tried checking it in a external sd card holder...but nothing happens.the sd card is eadable in other windows 10 pc.....
  9. SD Card not recognised.

SD Card not recognised.: Dell, Ultrabook, Latitude E7470, Window s 10 My SD card reader does not recognise any of my SD cards. They all work when plugged into my card reader, when using USB slots. Any experience of similar issue on Dell laptop?...
  10. Windows 10 not recognising samsung 512gb sdxc evo plus

Windows 10 not recognising samsung 512gb sdxc evo plus: I've just recently brought a Samsung 512gb Evo Plus SDXC micro sd card and windows 10 won't recognise the card. When I plug it in to my laptop I hear the sound of a device being connected, then a screen pops up saying 'you need to format the disk in f: drive' and when I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wont recognize kingston 64gb sdxc i