Windows 10: PC won't restart properly after Windows updates

Discus and support PC won't restart properly after Windows updates in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; TL;DR: Windows does an update and I restart it using Start->Restart. PC appears to shutdown (monitor, kbd and fan off), but PC power light still on.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swbrains, Jul 5, 2021.

1. swbrains Win User

PC won't restart properly after Windows updates

TL;DR: Windows does an update and I restart it using Start->Restart. PC appears to shutdown (monitor, kbd and fan off), but PC power light still on. Never restarts. Must power down manually and power up manually, then it's fine until the next update. DETAILS: I have a new PC that has Windows 10 Pro installed on it (21H1). During the past couple of days, I've run Windows Update to download and install additional updates, some from MS (cumulative...) and some were Intel drivers for the display, wifi, bluetooth, etc. I've noticed a strange issue with restarting Windows. After an update has occurred, the system will not reboot properly. If I tell it to reboot, it will act like it's shutting down, but it won't restart. The odd part is that it turns off all the hardware like my USB keyboard (the illumination goes out), and the monitor goes into sleep mode. The PC is then silent (the fans turn off), but the PC's power light is still on and solid (it blinks if it's in sleep mode, so it's not sleeping). I've tried pressing keys, moving the mouse, and even CTRL+ALT+DEL, but no response -- the PC is silent but still on. It has not shut down, it just doesn't restart. I even let it sit for 15 minutes once to see if it was just taking a long time but it never changed. To recover, I then have to hold down the power button to shut it down and then hit it again to restart it. It then always boots fine and Windows starts normally. Then it's fine if no more updates occur. I tried just checking for updates, but that does not trigger the problem. It only seems to happen after an update is actually found, downloaded, and installed. I've tried the following: -Turning off the "Fast Startup" in Windows Power Options - didn't help. -DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth -DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth -SFC /scannow (all complete properly with no errors) -I've also gone through Services and Task Manager and removed any unwanted/unnecessary processes to try to eliminate some possible causes, but no luck. Has anyone seen these symptoms or have any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

:)

swbrains, Jul 5, 2021
  2. KTR
    ktr Win User

Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

3. after latest update my phone lost his network and won t work...several times restart by himself...also wi-fi tile won t work

after latest update my phone lost his network and won t work...several times restart by himself...also wi-fi tile won t work

radelovrić, Jul 5, 2021
  4. PC won't restart properly after Windows updates

Windows 10 won´t start any program as Administrator

Hello. I´m having this issue since installed one of the latest Windows 10 system updates.

When I try to open any program that requires Administrator confirmation (that screen with the Yes/No question), this dialog won´t appear anymore. The screen background stays darkened and nothing happens.

1. Using Windows 10 Home (x64)
    2. My microsoft user account is properly checked
    3. I´m the administrator of the PC
    4. Already tried do create another administrator user account - same problem, no success
    5. Cannot start any program/service that requires administrator authorization (not even regedit)
    Please help!

Fabiano Lehmkuhl, Jul 5, 2021
Thema:

PC won't restart properly after Windows updates

1. PC won't restart properly after Windows updates - Similar Threads - won't restart properly

2. PC won't wake from sleep properly after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't wake from sleep properly after Windows 11 update: After installing the latest Windows 11 build, my Desktop PC does not wake from sleep properly. It either has a black screen with a cursor frozen in place or wakes in lock screen but both keyboard and mouse are frozen. This is after installation of build 22621....
  3. PC won't wake from sleep properly after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won't wake from sleep properly after Windows 11 update: After installing the latest Windows 11 build, my Desktop PC does not wake from sleep properly. It either has a black screen with a cursor frozen in place or wakes in lock screen but both keyboard and mouse are frozen. This is after installation of build 22621....
  4. My PC won't restart after the latest update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My PC won't restart after the latest update.: Pressing the power button does not help. How can i fix this? The version is 20H2 (2) submitted by /u/1Erik0101 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mgmo9j/my_pc_wont_restart_after_the_latest_update/
  5. PC won't shut down or restart properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC won't shut down or restart properly: Hi, I recently installed a new CPU and motherboard and my computer won't shut down or restart properly. I've installed most of the drivers, with the exception of the Intel Management Engine driver. However, in device manager it shows that I already have it installed, so....
  6. Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly: My laptop won't shutdown or restart properly, I am using a docking station and when I undock the laptop it seems to restart/shutdown properly but when I restart/shutdown with it docked, it doesn't restart/shutdown properly and always goes into a mode like sleep mode. How do...
  7. Windows update 1803 won't install - PC won't restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update 1803 won't install - PC won't restart: The system tries to push the update 1803 on a regular basis, but each time it fails to reboot. It hangs after the first BIOS initialisation and Windows tries to take over. Luckily I can get reset the PC and Windows recovers the PC to the former status. It shows the...
  8. Windows 10 won't boot properly after a simple restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 won't boot properly after a simple restart: Hello guys, how are you doing? I'm experiencing a problem here with Windows 10 since I installed the new OS (through the upgrade from Windows 7). Whenever I restart the notebook from the Start Menu or the OS restarts automatically because of an app instalation or...
  9. W10 Won't Restart After Update

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Won't Restart After Update: My Gateway desktop running W10 updated a few days ago and I believe, restarted on its own. We used it without problem, for several days. This afternoon, I saw I had notifications and one said the computer needed to be restarted. Not having anything pressing at the moment, I...
  10. Something is broken. Won't load properly, won't restart...

in Windows 10 Support
    Something is broken. Won't load properly, won't restart...: Howdy, Windows 10 Pro on my laptop. Been using it since it came out with no problems. All of a sudden today everything has gone to heck. Windows 10 will boot up to the desktop but I can't open most things. Start menu doesn't work, can't open a browser, can't view...