Windows 10: PC won't shut down if it has 'slept' recently

Discus and support PC won't shut down if it has 'slept' recently in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My PC (desktop) has, for at least a year, had an issue where if I use it for a few hours, put it to sleep, wake it, do some more work, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hellopaul, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Hellopaul Win User

PC won't shut down if it has 'slept' recently

Hello,

My PC (desktop) has, for at least a year, had an issue where if I use it for a few hours, put it to sleep, wake it, do some more work, then shut it down, it never shuts down fully - the screens go blank, but the power LEDs remain on and the fans are still running, but the computer is unresponsive. So I have to just hold the power button to do a hard power-off. But that's a pain because when I next start it up, it goes to the 'this wasn't shut down properly' BIOS screen, and I have to then tell it to continue booting, which it does OK - except the overclocking does not happen, then restart again to have it start up and be overclocked properly.

If I avoid putting the PC to sleep, it powers up and powers down perfectly; it's only if I set it to sleep at some point that the issue arises. For example, I might power it up at 9am, do some work until 1pm, set it to sleep while I have some lunch, wake it up (it wakes OK) at 2pm, do some more work, then at 6pm try to shut it down (using the Start menu as normal) and that's when it refuses to shut down. I've taken to avoiding putting it to sleep - I've got my displays set to sleep after 15 minutes, which they do OK - and they wake OK, and that doesn't affect the shutdown issue.

I've got Windows 10 updated (as of about 1st March - I see there's one more update available). It's 10.0.18363.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I've hunted around, but can only find issues not necessarily related to having put the computer to sleep previously, and most searches just focus on the words 'sleep' and 'shut down' and come back with 'my computer won't sleep nor shut down'. Hence me asking some people, instead of algorithms!

Many thanks in advance for any advice on how to fix this.

~ Paul

:)

Hellopaul, Mar 3, 2020
  2. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

tops, Mar 3, 2020
  3. my n97 won t charge or connect

when i put a usb on my n97 it won t charge when i put on the computer it won t say nokia pc suite or else it not reading the usb cannot work on my phone plz hel

karim71---01, Mar 3, 2020
  4. zbook Win User

Volume Mute Light won´t change color

Macrium is used frequently in this forum. There are experts in using it to recover drives. It's unclear as to why you are struggling to use it. I had not used it and just tried it for the first time and it went smoothly. Maybe these images might help?

PC won't shut down if it has 'slept' recently [​IMG]

zbook, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

1. PC won't shut down if it has 'slept' recently - Similar Threads - won't shut down

2. Recently upgraded Win 10 PC won't shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recently upgraded Win 10 PC won't shut down: Hi,a few days ago, I upgraded a PC from Win 7 to Win 10. I also swapped Nvidia GTX 750 Ti for an Nvidia GTX 960. Everything looked in order and functioned well until I tried to shut the PC down. The Shutdown button in the Start menu just does nothing. Same goes for the...
  3. Recently upgraded Win 10 PC won't shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently upgraded Win 10 PC won't shut down: Hi,a few days ago, I upgraded a PC from Win 7 to Win 10. I also swapped Nvidia GTX 750 Ti for an Nvidia GTX 960. Everything looked in order and functioned well until I tried to shut the PC down. The Shutdown button in the Start menu just does nothing. Same goes for the...
  4. Recently upgraded Win 10 PC won't shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC won't shut down!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won't shut down!: Dear,It's been a while since i installed windows 11, since then i'm facing weird problems! One of them is that my pc won't turn off and i have tried almost all of sulotions that i've found on internet!So how does it happened?First my wake on lan did not work after installing...
  6. PC won't shut down!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't shut down!: Dear,It's been a while since i installed windows 11, since then i'm facing weird problems! One of them is that my pc won't turn off and i have tried almost all of sulotions that i've found on internet!So how does it happened?First my wake on lan did not work after installing...
  7. Pc won't shut down (solved)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc won't shut down (solved): My father's pc had this problem that it wouldn't turn off after pressing shut down, it took like 10 minutes to turn off. Today finally i solved the problem. First i performed a clean installation but it still had the problem, so after browsing and trying different metods that...
  8. PC won't shut down or restart.

PC won't shut down or restart.: Hi all, this is fairly simple to explain, so I'm gonna have 2 categories. 1: The Shutdown Basically, whenever I press on shutdown, or shutdown from my PC button, my Monitor, Mouse and Keyboard lose power, however my PC is still on. 2: The Restart This one is the easiest to...
  9. PC won't shut down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC won't shut down: Installed Windows 10 on a Lenovo M81 and when clicking on shutdown from the Start menu the screen shuts off but the machine keeps running, I have to manually power off by holding down the button. The OS is on a SSD and I just updated the BIOS. Any suggestions? submitted by...
  10. My PC won't shut down

My PC won't shut down: When i try to shutdown my pc from windows button the shutting down screen comes but a few seconds later the error screen pops up(the one that has sad face). It gathers some information about the error automatically and then restarts itself. I have to force shut from the...