Windows 10: PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button

Discus and support PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, My computer has been having problem shutdown completely. Whenever I clicked “shutdown”, the screen would turn dark, but the PC was still running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by HaoranMai, Jul 16, 2019.

1. HaoranMai Win User

PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button

Hi,

My computer has been having problem shutdown completely. Whenever I clicked “shutdown”, the screen would turn dark, but the PC was still running because I could hear the fan, and my headset’s light was on (usually when it was completely shutdown, the light of the headset will turn off, so I used it as an indicator). Additionally, in the state of the PC not being completely shutdown, I had tried to turn it on again by pressing the power button to turn on the PC, and it would remain unresponsive. As an result, every time my PC could not be shutdown completely, I had to press the power button until the fans and the headset were off to force shutdown my PC.

I have been trying a couple things on my own, including disable fast star-up, and I also disabled hibernate and sleep on my PC, but it did not seem to help. I try to keep my system and driver up-to-date, but I have not installed the latest window update, which came out quite recently, to avoid even more glitchy system. Another thing I tried was to enable waking computer with mouse and keyboard as I thought it could be the problem.

Thank you so much for reading this, and I apologize for the length post. I am very determined about solving this frustrating problem, and your help is much appreciated!

Sincerely

Haoran

:)

HaoranMai, Jul 16, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10- have to force shutdown via power button

@infotech, do you mean you have to press and hold the power button until it kills the power abruptly?

If so, you could try disabling fast start-up in Control panel > Power options - Choose what the power button does' (you'll need to click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'). For good measure, delete the hiberfil.sys that it uses by opening a Command Prompt (Admin) and typing:
    powercfg /hibernate off

If you can now shut down properly, try undoing the changes. Use 'powercfg /hibernate on' then the Control Panel's Power options. It may be that settings got corrupted and remaking them will sort it.

3. shutdown

how can i find that shutdown caused by pressing the power button of cpu? is there any way or event log id history to find that the shutdown was done in a normal way or not. because shutting down pc by power button is not listed as a force or a hard shutdown
    so it can't give ciritica event id in event viewer or in view reliability history . so how can i identify that the last shutdown was an proper shtudown or an shutdown caused by pressing the power button of pc case

debasishnag, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Sirron Win User

Windows 10 started not powering off on shutdown or restarting

One of my laptops, the HP Elitebook 8460P with Windows 10 Creators Update, latest drivers and updates, started not power off on shutdown. It doesn't matter if I do a regular shutdown, Shift Shutdown, Restart, Safe Mode, "shutdown /s /t 0", it just goes through the steps and says shutting down services, then shutting down or restarting depending on which one I pick and does the bubbles in a circle and the mouse cursor still works and that's it. I have to hold down the power button to force it to turn off. Nothing shows up in the Event Viewer, I tried SFC & DISM /Restorehealth, chkdsk, and they all come up clean. I tried disabling Fast Boot and hibernation, and unplugging it and removing the battery and holding down the power button. There are no other devices connected to this laptop and it is the same hardware that it has had for over two years. I tried to rollback and then disabling the Intel Management Engine that I saw some people suggested, but there is no difference. There are no blue screens, no errors, nothing logged in Event Viewer, all hardware passes diagnostics, and everything else works just fine and it boots up quickly.

Any help on fixing this would be appreciated.

Sirron, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

1. PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button - Similar Threads - won’t shutdown unless

2. Ongoing PC Force Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ongoing PC Force Shutdown: Hi,This has been ongoing since buying the PC. Please see previous posts from myself.The previous suggestion of removing SignalRGB seemed to fix it for some time. I have not reinstalled Signal RGB. though have not been using the PC that much.I've just started playing a new...
  3. Ongoing PC Force Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ongoing PC Force Shutdown: Hi,This has been ongoing since buying the PC. Please see previous posts from myself.The previous suggestion of removing SignalRGB seemed to fix it for some time. I have not reinstalled Signal RGB. though have not been using the PC that much.I've just started playing a new...
  4. pc won’t shutdown or sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    pc won’t shutdown or sleep: Before putting my PC to sleep last night I noticed the little yellow dot next to shutdown indicating I had some sort of update. I ignored it and put my PC to sleep before going to bed. While laying down I noticed my PC’s desktop turned back on, on its own. Now my PC will not...
  5. pc won’t shutdown or sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc won’t shutdown or sleep: Before putting my PC to sleep last night I noticed the little yellow dot next to shutdown indicating I had some sort of update. I ignored it and put my PC to sleep before going to bed. While laying down I noticed my PC’s desktop turned back on, on its own. Now my PC will not...
  6. pc won’t shutdown or sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. My PC lags if I don't force shutdown by holding the power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My PC lags if I don't force shutdown by holding the power button: My version number is 19042.867 This is what happens: If I normally shut down the PC through the Windows panel, when I turn it on again it lags. By lagging, I mean that every second, it freezes for a few frames. But not only the screen, audio as well. The only way for that not...
  8. PC won’t shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC won’t shutdown/restart: I don’t know if this has to do with a new windows update but recently my PC doesn’t fully shutdown or restart. When doing so, it prompts the usual “shutting down...” or “restarting...” for a lot longer than it normally does. Then, my monitors turn off but the tower stays on,...
  9. Force shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force shutdown: Hello Eversince I've been using Windows 10 I have been struggling with many bugs and blue screens. Ok well I'm used to it now. But the thing is, when the computer is stuck, I'm unable to force shutdown and force restart it. I need to wait for the battery to be depleted....
  10. Windows 10- have to force shutdown via power button

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10- have to force shutdown via power button: Windows 10 x64 Until a few days ago, my laptop used to shutdown ie hybrid quickly. Now, my laptop refuses to shutdown unless I use the power button to force a shutdown. I have checked to see whether it was because of an update, but this is not the case. I have run...