Windows 10: PC won't turn on when case button is pressed

Discus and support PC won't turn on when case button is pressed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Had a previous issue which is located here: Random freezes or BSODs (In windows drivers) - Windows 10 Forums To tldr it was fixed by displaying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by buncieboy, Sep 4, 2017.

1. buncieboy Win User

PC won't turn on when case button is pressed

Had a previous issue which is located here:

Random freezes or BSODs (In windows drivers) - Windows 10 Forums

To tldr it was fixed by displaying all startup items and services.

Had a freeze today and after that when I turned the PC off (via case switch) it wouldn't turn back on again.
    I tried different sockets and leads to no avail.
    I performed the paperclip test which worked, and all voltages where ok (blue was -11.36 but thats been low for a while).
    I then plugged everything back in and moved my attention to the power case button, and tested its connector to the motherboard and a voltage was present when and only when the power button was pressed.
    I then tested the grey "POWER_OK" signal cable, which never changed when the power button was pressed, however this displayed a 5.1v signal when doing the paper clip test.
    So then I tested the green "power on" signal cable, which showed 3.525v constantly, even when the power button was pressed, it was my understanding this should drop down to 0v, or at least drop when the power button is pressed?

If all my tests knowledge and assumptions are correct this means there is an issue with the motherboard from where it receives the power button signal to the 24 pin connector? If so what do I do next?

Thanks in advance for any help!

:)

buncieboy, Sep 4, 2017

2. Screen wont turn off.

So my phone screen won't turn off. Like if I press the power button it won't turn off but if I leave it pressed it goes to the "slide to power off" screen . I thought it was the button that didn't work but I took of the case and it still doesn't work . And
    when I let my screen turn off by itself it won't turn back on unless I plug it in or take out the battery. I had this problem a couple of months ago and the only way I fixed it was by hard resetting my phone. Help !

This is from a Nokia Lumia 521

MelissaTremillo, Sep 4, 2017
  3. Samsung Focus - Reboots when Power Button is Pressed.

UPDATE: I have contacted the Samsung Service Center nearby, and as per them, the issue is because of the "short-circuit" behavior on the motherboard. The complete circuit board, especially the POWER BUTTON is resoldered and finally my FOCUS is working
    fine now without any issues.

Thanks,
    Agnivesh K

AgniveshKumpati, Sep 4, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

It could be a power supply issue. Nearly all, if not all, computers are now the ATX variety where the power supply connects to the motherboard and the I|O switch connects to the motherboard, pressing the switch sends a signal to the motherboard which tells the power supply to go to work. The older AT computers had the power switch connected directly to the power supply and turning the PS on then woke up the motherboard and peripherals.

Tracking down which part of the power chain has failed can be problematic but one thing that can be done [and I've had success with] is to remove all power [unplug the cord], press the I|O switch or wait a minute for residual power to drain from the motherboard then open the case and locate the 20/24 pin plug on the motherboard. It's got a latch and sometimes unplugging it 'normalizes' things.

Berton, Sep 4, 2017
  5. buncieboy Win User
    As mentioned I have tracked down and found that the green power on cable within the 24 pin is not changing voltage on pressing the case power button, but I know the button is sending the signal so I believe I have found the problem, but not a solution. I will look at this latch in the morning however I have unplugged and replugged to no avail.

buncieboy, Sep 4, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    The PSU is probably OK if it passes the paperclip test and the voltages are OK. Disconnect the PC On switch motherboard connector and try shorting those pins on the motherboard. If the PC powers on then you have faulty On switch, else it's likely you have motherboard problems probably needing a new motherboard (and CPu & memory?)

Steve C, Sep 4, 2017
  7. buncieboy Win User
    How exactly would I go about shorting out the pins? If that doesn't work are there any other tests or fixes, as a motherboard isnt the cheapest or easiest to replace?

buncieboy, Sep 4, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

Just use one of the motherboard jumpers or very carefully short the pins with a suitable size screwdriver.

If that works then there is a fault in your On button or connecting lead. If not, suspect your motherboard. I would consult Gigabyte support since I've found them very helpful even when well out of warranty. Also check out some motherboard forums as listed below.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/fo...otherboards.2/
    GIGABYTE
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...e=motherboards

Steve C, Sep 4, 2017
  9. buncieboy Win User
    So I manage to fix it by removing and putting back in place the clock battery, not sure if this was the only cause and it is perfectly fixed but it now turns on!

buncieboy, Sep 4, 2017
  10. Steve C Win User
    I'm pleased you found a solution - your BIOS may have been corrupted somehow which once happened to me after a power glitch. Removing the battery would reset the BIOS - check the settings are what you need. Did you check the battery voltage since it might be time for a new one? Mine normally last about 3 years. Also check if you have the latest BIOS for you motherboard.

Steve C, Sep 4, 2017
  11. philc43 Win User
    Doing this has the same effect as a reset of the MB BIOS. It would suggest that your freeze corrupted the BIOS settings in some way. There is often a jumper that you can use to do the same thing which is often quicker and easier than removing the CMOS battery.

philc43, Sep 4, 2017
  12. buncieboy Win User
    So thats all good, except for the fact that I got another crash (BSOD but failed to dump) and then the PC struggled to boot again as seen in my last thread. I've attached the log collector as well as the monitoring software I had running, it was idle for about 5 hours before use to see if the PC was stable, this either shows it runs stable without usage, or leaving it idle for so long causes an issue. Either way ill attach it (along with the min max and avg values) so you can poke around, (Link here Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.) however I couldn't see anything obvious!

buncieboy, Sep 5, 2017
  13. buncieboy Win User

Touch wood the PC seems stable now after a second crash, seeing no difference in stats though? Trying to recreate normal usage is creating no issues *Sad

buncieboy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. PC won't turn on when case button is pressed - Similar Threads - won't turn case

2. New PC build will not turn off/boot back on when pressing restart button.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC build will not turn off/boot back on when pressing restart button.: As the title says, my newly built PC isn't restarting correctly. When I press the physical power button, or tell it to shut down via Windows, it turns off, the fans stop spinning, the rgbs turn off, etc. PC is off. However, when I or more often, Windows/some other program...
  3. New PC build will not turn off/boot back on when pressing restart button.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC build will not turn off/boot back on when pressing restart button.: As the title says, my newly built PC isn't restarting correctly. When I press the physical power button, or tell it to shut down via Windows, it turns off, the fans stop spinning, the rgbs turn off, etc. PC is off. However, when I or more often, Windows/some other program...
  4. New PC build will not turn off/boot back on when pressing restart button.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Pressing button “e” will turn on this function

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pressing button “e” will turn on this function: Hi, Can anyone help me to disable this function? While I press e button it will auto pop this function. Is it irritating. Especially during typing . My mouse cursor will turn to this . Anyone can help?...
  6. Laptop isn't turning on when pressed power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop isn't turning on when pressed power button: My laptop of dell company isn't switich even I pressed power button I had already tried taking battery out and then pressing power button for 1 min... When I press the power button only white light blinks for a sec and then goes of off mounter too Plzz help...
  7. When i presse the power button the pc doesn't start.

When i presse the power button the pc doesn't start.: Hi I have mouved my composant to another box and i changes the motherboard and the power suplie when i try to boot it it does nothing. The only way to boot it is press the power sw botton on my motherboard....
  8. Pc won't boot unless I press the reset button during

Pc won't boot unless I press the reset button during: I've had this issue for well over a year now and since then I've factory reset a few times and even switched from a 5-year-old hard drive to an nvme, completely lost on what to do. On the off chance it does boot on the first try it will crash with a seemingly random error...
  9. Problem with text case when pressing Shift button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem with text case when pressing Shift button: When I highlight the text using Shift, the text case toggles. It is like the SHIFT+F3 shortcut in Microsoft Word but I just click on Shift. I use Lenovo Thinkpad running Windows 10. How to turn off this feature?...
  10. PC power button won't turn on

PC power button won't turn on: So, I am having this problem for a while. I have a computer that is 7 years old, although old I am still able to do work with it perfectly until there's a problem. I shut down my computer when I'm not using, but when I try to turn it on by pressing the power button sometimes...