Windows 10: PC won't wake up properly

Discus and support PC won't wake up properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm currently running Windows 10 v1909. I'm regularly having a problem where the screen will turn off and then won't come back on in response to key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Victek, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Victek Win User

PC won't wake up properly

I'm currently running Windows 10 v1909. I'm regularly having a problem where the screen will turn off and then won't come back on in response to key presses or mouse clicks. Pushing the power button also has no effect. I have to force the PC to shutdown by holding down the power button and then it will boot up and work properly. As a workaround I've started using a program called "Don't Sleep" - blocking "Standby" seems to prevent the problem. This never happened with previous builds of Windows 10. Any thoughts on how I can solve this will be appreciated. TIA!

:)

Victek, Jul 13, 2020

2. PC won't wake up after sleep irregularly

Hi MustachioEmiko,

Thank you for providing a very detailed description of your case. I've seen that you've already performed several steps to address the problem, but to no avail. We might be looking at a hardware issue as this started after the Motherboard had a short circuit.
    It may have affected your hard drive or other internal innards like your network card, thus, resulted to the inability of your computer to boot properly or to wake up after put to sleep.

To work on this issue, I suggest that you run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tools to check the RAM. You may check the following links:

Kindly check as well your network card and see if it's enabled for the Wake on Magic Packet. Here are the steps:

1. Right-click the Windows key and click Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Network adapters.
    3. Right-click your network card and click Properties.
    4. Go to the Advanced tab, scroll down to Wake on Magic Packet and see if its Value is set to
      Enabled.

Please let me know how the diagnostic tests go so we can further work on the issue.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 13, 2020
  3. waking up my computer

Hi Virginia,

For us to properly isolate the issue in waking up your computer, we would like to know the following:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Aside from a hard shut down, to make sure that we have not missed on anything, what other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you check if the wake on keyboard option is enabled. To check this, open
    Device Manager > Keyboards > HID Keyboard Device >
    Power Management, and then disable the Allow this device to wake the computer feature (standard value).

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jul 13, 2020
  4. PC won't wake up properly

Sign in screen on Windows 10 won't show up after wake up

Hi Imad,

Your PC might be set to Never when requiring to sign-in after it wakes from sleep. To enable password login after waking Windows 10 from sleep, follow the steps below:

• Click on Start (Windows icon).
    • Go to Settings (gear icon).
    • Select Accounts, go to SIgn-in options.
    • Make sure When PC wakes up from sleep is selected instead of
      Never under Require sign-in.

Try to put your PC to sleep then wake it up to check if it will now prompt you to log in.

Get back to us if there's anything else, we'll be glad to help!

Jennifer Bri, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

PC won't wake up properly

1. PC won't wake up properly - Similar Threads - won't wake properly

2. computer won't wake up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer won't wake up: I just did a new install of windows 10 and the only way I can get the computer to wake up is to kill the power at the power supply. I first went into the bios and reset them and that did nothing . I went into device manager and checked that the keyboard and mouse were checked...
  3. computer won't wake up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer won't wake up: I just did a new install of windows 10 and the only way I can get the computer to wake up is to kill the power at the power supply. I first went into the bios and reset them and that did nothing . I went into device manager and checked that the keyboard and mouse were checked...
  4. PC wont wake up properly from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC wont wake up properly from sleep: For some reason, Whenever I let my pc sleep for a long time, it comes back from sleep in a bad state. The keyboard is not functioning, and I cant shutdown it keeps the pc alive while the monitor goes into normal shutdown. At that point the only solution is to hard shutdown by...
  5. Computer won't wake up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't wake up: A real simple solution when you hibernate the computer to get it to wake up open you tube. It may be annoying to do this but it's better than having to go to a restart. Hopes this helps others with this f!#d up problem that Microsoft hasn't figured out to correct....
  6. Monitor won't wake up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor won't wake up: Recently, I began to experience an issue where if the computer goes into sleep mode, I cannot get the monitor to wake up without restarting the whole system. I've tried multiple monitors, but they have the same issue. Also, it does not matter which connection I use, HDMI,...
  7. PC won't wake up: Best tool to diagnose

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't wake up: Best tool to diagnose: Hello Problem keep going on and off. PC won't wake up from the sleep mode. The only way restart is to use the reset button or worst, power down the PC I searched all over the net and tried a multitude of proposed solutions. Still the same problem. Any tool that I could use...
  8. PC won't wake up from sleep: Intermittent

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't wake up from sleep: Intermittent: Hello Problem do come and go. Now more frequent. PC won't wake up from the sleep mode. - I did check all the mouse and keyboard setup to allow to wake up - I did setup the BIOS to enable it. - I did repair some Windows file using SFC /scannow Since yesterday, I'M not even...
  9. PC won't wake up: Intermittent problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC won't wake up: Intermittent problem: Hello Problem do come and go. Now more frequent. PC won't wake up from the sleep mode. - I did check all the mouse and keyboard setup to allow to wake up - I did setup the BIOS to enable it. - I did repair some Windows file using SFC /scannow This afternoon, I was not...
  10. It Won't Wake Up! Again

in Windows 10 Support
    It Won't Wake Up! Again: If this is the wrong forum please move to the appropriate one. Yesterday my Dell Desktop refused to wake from sleep. Right click and the HDD sounds like it spins up but no monitor. I've made no changes to any settings and this just came out of the blue. Requires a Hard Power...