Windows 10: PC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore

Discus and support PC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi my PC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore.tried DISM tools but fails at initiatilisation. Ran chkdsk overnight no problems, sfc no problems.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Barin, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Barin Win User

PC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore

Hi my PC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore.tried DISM tools but fails at initiatilisation. Ran chkdsk overnight no problems, sfc no problems. Last resort used media creation tool as per here. It went right though fine but then said something happened and didn't install. PC boots up fine,runs all programs fine. At a complete loss now.
    any help much appreciated.

:)

Barin, Jul 6, 2016
  2. fademusic Win User

PC Suite works fine, but now digital camera and scanner don't

Just an update...

I finally got system restore to work by starting it from safe mode (press F8 while booting), but still had the same problem.

But I did find that if you open Device manager and right-click the USB device that is currently working (like the scanner) and disable it (don't reboot), then the other device (camera) will start working.

Maybe this info will help someone else.

- Kent

fademusic, Jul 6, 2016
  3. Outlook.com account works fine on PC but cannot authenticate on Win phone 8

Hello uppityoz,

Thank you for posting in the Windows phone forum!

If you downloaded the Authentication app to your phone, you need to link it to your Microsoft Account via a QR code. This QR code is created when tyou set up the 2FA on your Microsoft Account, and is displayed on your Microsoft Account.

You also need to make sure you have a working alternative email address. because if you don't want to use the authentication app on the phone the 2FA code is sent to the alternative email address.

If you uninstall the authentication app from your phone, the link with your account is broken.

But you will still be prompted for an authentication code when you try to log into an MS site. If you can't remember your alternative email details then you won't be able to get a code there either. Thus any change you make, you will have to wait 30 days.

So, to avoid this you need to log onto your MS account first, and remove 2FA , check your alternative email address and then remove the app from the phone.

There is an FAQ on the Security Info part of the Microosft Account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

Have a nice day!

Benedito D., Jul 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Barin, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You might see if doing the repair install with an ISO or USB may work better.

Brink, Jul 6, 2016
  5. Barin Win User
    Thank you. I just checked DISM log again and got

Code: Failed to bind the online servicing stack - CDISMOSServiceManager::get_ServicingStackDirectory(hr:0x800700c1) 2016-07-07 12:30:57, [8780] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBufferPC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore :(1250): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. [8780] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectoryPC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore :(793) [8780] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandlePC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore :(3046) [8780] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBufferPC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore :(1250): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. [8780] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectoryPC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore :(793) [8780] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandlePC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore :(3046) Error DISM DISM OS Provider: PID=9996 TID=10008 Failed trying to determine the OS Version[/quote] Hard Drive Failing?

Barin, Jul 6, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That doesn't indicate any issues with the hard drive itself.

I'd give the ISO or USB a try to see if it may be able to successfully finish a repair install if you like. Be sure to use the same edition, language, and 64-bit that you currently have installed.

Brink, Jul 6, 2016
  7. Barin Win User
    Ty
    trying iso now

Barin, Jul 6, 2016
  8. Barin Win User

something happened. installation failed.

Barin, Jul 6, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Does it give you any more details than that?

If you have a 3rd party AV program installed, then temporarily disable or uninstall it until the repair install is done.

Otherwise, you may need to refresh Windows instead.

Refresh Windows 10

Brink, Jul 6, 2016
  10. Bastet Win User
    Norton's self protection setting affects system restore. If you have another AV software they also may have a self protection module.

Bastet, Jul 6, 2016
  11. Barin Win User
    Start menu tile and store missing now
    Tried to reload apps through powershell but permission denied
    All corupt now

Barin, Jul 6, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 6, 2016
  13. Barin Win User

Barin, Jul 7, 2016
  14. Barin Win User
    performed clean install with image downloaded from another pc
    all good now

Barin, Jul 7, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. Sorry it took a clean install though.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. PC works fine but wouldn't do a system restore - Similar Threads - works fine wouldn't

2. my pc won't do system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my pc won't do system restore: My pc got a few updates in the last few days and it has rendered the system practically unusable. Startup is extremely slow and pages take forever to load. Even search is ridiculously slow. simple commands take a long time to complete , if at all. I tried system restore and...
  3. my pc won't do system restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my pc won't do system restore: My pc got a few updates in the last few days and it has rendered the system practically unusable. Startup is extremely slow and pages take forever to load. Even search is ridiculously slow. simple commands take a long time to complete , if at all. I tried system restore and...
  4. my pc won't do system restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC system restoration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC system restoration: So my issue is kind of all over the place. It started when my games were randomly getting tabbed out. I was going through various troubleshooting methods, one of which was updating Windows 10. Upon updating and restarting, I got a message saying that there was a problem with...
  6. PC system restoration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC system restoration: So my issue is kind of all over the place. It started when my games were randomly getting tabbed out. I was going through various troubleshooting methods, one of which was updating Windows 10. Upon updating and restarting, I got a message saying that there was a problem with...
  7. PC system restoration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. System restore not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore not working: The problem is that I can make system restore points but they disappear from the wizard and system volume information>systemrestore folder almost immediately. I know this has been covered in many places over the years but none of those approaches works for me. I have...
  9. Interrupted system restore seems to be working fine?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Interrupted system restore seems to be working fine?: So earlier today I was having some trouble booting into windows, took a couple of tries everytime, but that got fixed by manually downloading and installing the window updates in the "Window Update Settings", but then after that, my GPU driver no longer worked, (error code...
  10. Interrupted system restore seems to be working fine?

in Windows 10 Support
    Interrupted system restore seems to be working fine?: So earlier today I was having some trouble booting into windows, took a couple of tries everytime, but that got fixed by manually downloading and installing the window updates in the "Window Update Settings", but then after that, my GPU driver no longer worked, (error code...