Windows 10: PC would not restart after sleep until . . .

Discus and support PC would not restart after sleep until . . . in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My PC refused to wake up after a period of sleep. I turned off the power and then on again and it still wouldn't wake. In desperation I replugged the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Feb 10, 2018.

1. tcebob Win User

PC would not restart after sleep until . . .

My PC refused to wake up after a period of sleep. I turned off the power and then on again and it still wouldn't wake. In desperation I replugged the power, whereupon it booted normally. As soon as I could I ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wimPC would not restart after sleep until . . . :D:\Sources\Install.esd:1 and SFC /scannow. Errors were found and repaired.

Does anyone know what might have caused this event and how it can be avoided?

HP HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX.
    Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1709 (build 16299.192)

:)

tcebob, Feb 10, 2018

2. Computer sleeps, then restarts

This is a continuing problem. It started about 3 weeks ago when it would not stay in sleep mode (it would restart) and it would restart after shutdown. I unchecked "turn on fast start" which solved the restart after shutdown problem. After further searching
    I changed windows update to "Notify to schedule restart". That solved the restart after sleep problem until three days ago. The problem is now back. After further searching I ran the Windows System File Checker and it found no problems. I have tried several
    suggestions of turning off various sleep related options in device manager but none solved the problem. I restarted the computer in safe mode and it did sleep without restarting. No new programs were added.

I have changed the settings to turn off the screen in 5 minutes but sleep in 30. After 30 minutes the computer sleeps and restarts. The screen comes on for five minutes and the cycle repeats itself.

Any other ideas?????

DavidWitte, Feb 10, 2018
  3. Text cursor disappears while typing and comes back intermittently after windows 10 install. Cannot type while disappeared.

As per an update, this only happens after hibernate or sleep mode. If I restart, the problem disappears until I come back from a hibernate or sleep. It is still doing this and it is very annoying. I would like not to have to restart every time I want to
    leave the computer.

JustinRoth, Feb 10, 2018
  4. zbook New Member

Run this version of the log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

Please update the spes in the "My Computer" section:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, USB wireless network card, etc.)

zbook, Feb 10, 2018
  5. tcebob Win User
    'Preciate your reply. Updated My Computer. Cannot access log collector v2-beta .zip as a url. Where is it?

Found MS update in Event Viewer at about the right time, so maybe system was updating when I tried to wake it.

tcebob, Feb 10, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) ckdsk /scan
    4) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

5) After the above steps run this version of the log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

6) If the above version fails please provide as much information as possible as to what happened. If you can click prt sc etc.

zbook, Feb 10, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    The URL for log collector v2-beta08.zip unpacks to Code: Windows 10 Help Forums bsod-crashes-debugging/ 172784d1516099457-bsod-posting- instructions-log-collector-v2-beta08.zip (stitch items together into a single line)[/quote] on my PC. Perhaps you can access that explicit URL directly? It works for me... and asks me if I want to open or save the .zip file. It should do likewise for you, if you paste the items shown above together into a single URL (omitting the parenthetical phrase at the end, please).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 10, 2018
  8. tcebob Win User

on my PC. Perhaps you can access that explicit URL directly? It works for me... and asks me if I want to open or save the .zip file. It should do likewise for you, if you paste the items shown above together into a single URL (omitting the parenthetical phrase at the end, please).
    HTH,
    --Ed--[/quote] Ed, All I was seeing in Firefox was a blank screen. Just now I tried the expanded url in IE and got a prompt to download. In the course of selecting a download location (C:\all\down) I saw that I had 12 copies of the file. There was no indication in Firefox that downloads were taking place. So I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

tcebob, Feb 10, 2018
  9. tcebob Win User
    zbook, I'm about to do as you directed. I'll get back later . . .

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.192] (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\tcebo>sfc /scannow Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. C:\Users\tcebo>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.16299.15 Image Version: 10.0.16299.192 [==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully. C:\Users\tcebo>ckdsk /scan 'ckdsk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\Users\tcebo>chkdsk /scan The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is Windows. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 414208 file records processed. File verification completed. 11252 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 27978 reparse records processed. 497576 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. 27978 reparse records processed. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Security descriptor verification completed. 41685 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 38528056 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 962901083 KB total disk space. 94827704 KB in 215397 files. 144640 KB in 41686 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 560875 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 867367864 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 240725270 total allocation units on disk. 216841966 allocation units available on disk.[/quote] . . . Working on Log collector . . . done.
    C:\Users\tcebo>

tcebob, Feb 10, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Glad you got the download working, tcebob. Google does that to me sometimes, too. It's always disconcerting to find out stuff is going on in the background without any obvious or noticeable foreground notification. I feel your pain!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 11, 2018
  11. zbook New Member
    The logs had 2 unexpected shutdown/restarts, one on 2/3 and one on 2/10.
    Otherwise the logs were unremarkable.
    There was a problem device:

1) Open device manager > click view > show hidden devices > expand all rows > look for rows that display yellow triangular icons with a black exclamation mark > post images into the thread
    2) This was displayed as a problem device:
    Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&236F3B91&0&6 43
    Look for an unknown device in device manager > post an image into the thread
    3) Download and install the latest version of the HP UEFI hardware diagnostics: HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site
    4) Power on repetitively clicking the F2 key for an overnight test > Run the HP UEFI hardware diagnostics in loop until failure overnight > the firmware is designed to abort if there are any problems > if there are no problems the next day click the keyboard escape key to abort the testing > confirm the pass in the BIOS UEFI logs.

Code: Event[2547]: Log Name: System Source: storahci Date: 2018-02-11T13:45:23.942 Event ID: 129 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-VQC5R6M Description: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.[/quote] Code: Event[2507]: Log Name: System Source: Volsnap Date: 2018-02-10T21:05:52.590 Event ID: 33 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-VQC5R6M Description: The oldest shadow copy of volume C: was deleted to keep disk space usage for shadow copies of volume C: below the user defined limit.[/quote] Code: Event[2455]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 2018-02-10T19:58:03.277 Event ID: 41 Task: N/A Level: Critical Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-VQC5R6M Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.[/quote]

zbook, Feb 11, 2018
  12. tcebob Win User
    Here's a shot of Device Manager. I can't find any detail in the unknown USB. Ran repair but no change.

PC would not restart after sleep until . . . [​IMG]

Ran HP UEFI diagnostics.

Can't find the logs but I'm pretty sure the system is OK.

Many thanks for your assistance!

tcebob, Feb 13, 2018
  13. zbook New Member

For the unknown device: right click on it > left click properties > click details tab > in the properties bar choose hardware IDs > make an image to post into the thread and copy and paste the results in the value area into the thread. Then search the internet using the information in this link for the information about the driver:

How to easily find drivers for Unknown Devices in Windows | PCWorld
    How to Find Drivers for Unknown Devices in the Device Manager

Open the HP website > enter the computer's product or serial number > view available drivers > update the HP UEFI hardware diagnostics from version 6.4 to either 6.5 or 6.6. If the up to date version is not listed in the available driver use this HP link:
    HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site

zbook, Feb 13, 2018
  14. tcebob Win User
    Here is a shot of HP Diagnostics 6.5. Seems OK.

And Device Manager. Note that the unknown driver is listed but the yellow flag is not there. There is no reference to the driver.

tcebob, Feb 15, 2018
  15. EdTittel Win User
    I've seen this kind of thing before, and it usually occurs when a USB driver issue somewhere between the end device (usually a drive, a USB stick, or something similar) and the root hub gets flaky. If you run Uwe Sieber's USB Device Tree Viewer, you'll see something like this:

This will help you zero right in on what's in port#6hub#2 that's "gone missing."
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 15, 2018
Thema:

1. PC would not restart after sleep until . . . - Similar Threads - restart sleep until

2. PC laggy until restart, how to fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC laggy until restart, how to fix?: As the title says, when I initially boot up my pc, it is very laggy in every way, fps are lower, browsing is slower, and everything just takes longer to load, however, when I restart it can be several times before it works everything runs like normal and fast.I have an HP...
  3. PC laggy until restart, how to fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC laggy until restart, how to fix?: As the title says, when I initially boot up my pc, it is very laggy in every way, fps are lower, browsing is slower, and everything just takes longer to load, however, when I restart it can be several times before it works everything runs like normal and fast.I have an HP...
  4. Computer restarts after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer restarts after sleep: whenever I put my pc to sleep after a few minutes it just restarts. I read other posts related to this. So I have tried:powercfg/lastwake shows nothingclean boot didn't helpPlease help me out...
  5. Computer restarts after sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer restarts after sleep: whenever I put my pc to sleep after a few minutes it just restarts. I read other posts related to this. So I have tried:powercfg/lastwake shows nothingclean boot didn't helpPlease help me out...
  6. Audio not working until after multiple restarts.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio not working until after multiple restarts.: Whenever I switch on my laptop, the sound system almost never works. And by that I mean is I get NO sound at all. The headphones don't work, the inbuilt speakers don't work. Just silence. I wonder why it happens and have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers multiple times...
  7. restart after sleeping

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    restart after sleeping: When the computer is left on until it automatically sleeps, or when I push the sleep button, on returning to use the computer I click the power button and a full screen photo comes up. Normally I would hit the space bar and it would flip to the sign-in page but often, hitting...
  8. Not connect until after i restart my pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not connect until after i restart my pc: When i turn my PC on it doesn't connect the internet, i use a Ethernet wire which is not damaged. it doesn't show that i am connected to the router at all, its acting like the wire is completely unplugged. this is where it gets weird, when i restart my it works fine. the...
  9. Power Button Sleep Stops Working Until Restart in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Power Button Sleep Stops Working Until Restart in Windows 10: I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. Since the update I've run into an issue where, after I've been using my computer for a while and have done a few sleep/wake cycles, I won't be able to put my computer to sleep with the physical power button. It wakes up just fine with the...
  10. Restart required after sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Restart required after sleep: Once my computer goes to sleep, I have to do a restart to get any videos to play. On YouTube I get the "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device." Unfortunately, I get this message for any video on any site after sleep. It's not limited to just Chrome. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&236F3B91&0&6