Windows 10: PCIe network card crashing computer

Discus and support PCIe network card crashing computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, Issue : 10/28/2018 I'm trying to get my asus PCE-AC88 card working. I can boot to windows and the card works. Within a few minutes I get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NathanHeurich, Oct 30, 2018.

1. PCIe network card crashing computer

Hi all,

Issue : 10/28/2018
    I'm trying to get my asus PCE-AC88 card working. I can boot to windows and the card works. Within a few minutes I get a blue screen of death. The screen doesn't even last long enough for me to catch the error code and the pc restarts. This will be an endless loop. I have tried all available pcie slots. The only other slot used is my top 16x which has my praphics card.

Odd piece of info, will the pc is shut off plugging in the wifi card to the pcie slot will cause the pc to turn on. Plugging it in while the pc is off and power supply switch is turned off it will still try to turn on. And the only way to get device manager to recognize the card is to plug it in while the pc is off, and the power plug is unplugged from the power supply.

I thought it may be an IRQ issue but I unplugged my graphics card and used the on board graphics to test. This issue persisted. Additionally I tried disabling the onboard wifi both in windows and the bios in case it was in conflict with that but this was not a solution.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the network adapter as well as reinstalled windows...no luck.

My build:
    I7 8700k
    Asus strix z370 mobo
    Nvidia gtx 1080ti
    64gb corsair vengeance
    Asus pce88 pcie network adapter.
    Windows 10 64bit

Update 10/29/2018
    I checked the reliability monitor and the only information provided says "windows was not shutdown properly"

Checking the event log I am seeing
    Event ID 10016 DistributedCOM
    "the application-specific permission setting gs do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application to with CLSID"

I am unfamiliar with this and not sure if it is related.

I also download bluescreenview to capture the minidump files but nothing shows up. Not files get logged. I believe this is due to what I mentioned before. The BSoD appear but only for 1 second before restarting. No information is collected.

I updated my bios to the latest version and am still having the same. Issue

After reading about stability issues with the ac68 I came across an issue with the drivers using the Broadcom chipset. I have rolled back my driver to the original release
    Version 2.8.0.3 from the asus website
    And in driver details. In device manager it shows version :1.558.48.0
    Copyright is still to Broadcom and still causing me issues.

In event viewer I'm also seeing:
    Event ID 7026
    "the following boot start or system start drivers did not load : dam"

:)

NathanHeurich, Oct 30, 2018
  2. Antilope Win User

Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot

Here is something I recently found out. I have tired this and it works.

You can use a PCIe x1 card, or a PCIe x4 card in a PCIe x16 slot. They work fine. So if you think you are short of PCI-e slots, you may not be. A shorter PCIe card works fine in a longer slot.

On PCIe X1, X4 and X16 slots, the first 18 pins are all wired the same, so as long as the PCI-Express card fits in the PCI-Express slot, it should work.

This is not the case for the legacy PCI (32-bit, non-express) slots, that are not PCI-Express. Those are not compatable with PCIe cards.

Here is the PCI-Express page on Wikipedia showing pinouts, etc.
    PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube Video showing PCIe X1 card in a PCIe X16 slot.

Here are links to discussions on this subject at Tom's Hardware.

"Can I install a PCI-e x1 Wireless network card in a PCI-e x16 slot?"

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-x16-slot.html

pci-e x1 card into pci-e x16 slot? - Graphics Cards

Antilope, Oct 30, 2018
  3. Antilope Win User

Here is something I recently found out. I have tired this and it works.

You can use a PCIe x1 card, or a PCIe x4 card in a PCIe x16 slot. They work fine. So if you think you are short of PCI-e slots, you may not be. A shorter PCIe card works fine in a longer slot.

On PCIe X1, X4 and X16 slots, the first 18 pins are all wired the same, so as long as the PCI-Express card fits in the PCI-Express slot, it should work.

This is not the case for the legacy PCI (32-bit, non-express) slots, that are not PCI-Express. Those are not compatable with PCIe cards.

PCIe network card crashing computer [​IMG]

Picture of assorted PCIe and PCI slots.

The top four slots, in the picture above, are, from the top to bottom,
    PCIe x4 slot , PCIe x16 slot, PCIe x1 slot and another PCIe x16 slot. A PCIe card that can physically fit in any of these slots will work, even if it doesn't fill the entire slot.

The bottom, 5th slot, is a PCI legacy (32-bit) slot. PCIe (express) cards will not work in this slot. It only accepts legacy PCI cards.

Here is the PCI-Express page on Wikipedia showing pinouts, etc.
    PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube Video showing PCIe X1 card in a PCIe X16 slot.

Here are links to discussions on this subject at Tom's Hardware.

"Can I install a PCI-e x1 Wireless network card in a PCI-e x16 slot?"

pci-e x1 card into pci-e x16 slot? - Graphics Cards

Antilope, Oct 30, 2018
  4. Clint Win User

PCIe network card crashing computer

Thanks. I didn't know that.

Clint, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

PCIe network card crashing computer

1. PCIe network card crashing computer - Similar Threads - PCIe network card

2. Code 10 error on newly installed PCIe Network Card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Code 10 error on newly installed PCIe Network Card: Just recently purchased an Aorus network card, model number GC-WBAX200. I have gotten it installed and my pc recognizes it. I am in a nightmare and drivers are the issue i believe. Code 10 on the card inside the device manager, which says its usually a driver issue. I went...
  3. Code 10 error on newly installed PCIe Network Card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Code 10 error on newly installed PCIe Network Card: Just recently purchased an Aorus network card, model number GC-WBAX200. I have gotten it installed and my pc recognizes it. I am in a nightmare and drivers are the issue i believe. Code 10 on the card inside the device manager, which says its usually a driver issue. I went...
  4. Code 10 error on newly installed PCIe Network Card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Device Not Detected: PCIe WiFi Network Card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Device Not Detected: PCIe WiFi Network Card: Hi friends, I have tried every troubleshooting method except for Resetting my PC to get my Asus WiFi Network adapter to show up on my PC. What's interesting about my issue is that the adapter worked for a short time when I first installed it. But it stopped showing up on the...
  6. Thundebolt 2 PCIE card issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thundebolt 2 PCIE card issue: After updating to windows version 1909 thunderbolt PCIE card stop working. Update the bios to latest version and update the thunderbolt software but it didn't fixed. but when roll back to 1808 it work fine. Any Suggestion will be appreciate. Thanks, Alam...
  7. USB 3 PCIE Card issue

USB 3 PCIE Card issue: Reasus PCIE card installed and does work, but everytime i switch off my pc for a day or two and boot up my card does not get recognised and i have to reboot several times before it works. Trouble is my mouse and keyboard cannot function until this comes active? Anyone have a...
  8. PCIe Network card not doing full speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PCIe Network card not doing full speed: Hi, I recently brought a 2x dual 1GB PCIe Intel network card (10Gtek® Gigabit PCIE Network Card for Intel E1G42ET - 82576 Chip). One for my main PC and another for my second PC. My internet speed that I get from my ISP is 350mb down and around 30mb up. On my main PC...
  9. Realtek PCIE card reader problem

Realtek PCIE card reader problem: I have in the process of connecting a printer when I noticed that there was an exclamation mark on my laptop, Rea Card Reader has error, Problem with PNP devices and then proceeds to say that it is blocked by group policy Driver has been blocked from starting, known to...
  10. Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot

Using a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe x16 slot: Here is something I recently found out. I have tired this and it works. You can use a PCIe x1 card, or a PCIe x4 card in a PCIe x16 slot. They work fine. So if you think you are short of PCI-e slots, you may not be. A shorter PCIe card works fine in a longer slot. On...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pcie slot overload causing pc to shut off

2. asus network adapter pc crashing