Windows 10: PCIe SATA advice required please

Discus and support PCIe SATA advice required please in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've hit the limit of 6TB drives with my motherboard although no mention of it in the manual and zero response from the manufacturer. So I need a PCIe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mart1981, Sep 15, 2020.

1. mart1981 Win User

PCIe SATA advice required please

I've hit the limit of 6TB drives with my motherboard although no mention of it in the manual and zero response from the manufacturer.

So I need a PCIe card which will enable a couple of SATA 8TB drives - no RAID. Have tried one today and apparently that had a 4TB limit although not in the details at time of purchase.

Can anyone recommend a PCIe card which will recognize high capacity drives.

Currently running Win10x64 v2004.

Any input appreciated - thanks

:)

mart1981, Sep 15, 2020
  2. BlueSkyy Win User

Migrating Windows 10 on SATA SSD to PCIe SSD that requires drivers be installed

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 installation in which the current boot drive, a SATA SSD, is almost completely filled. I have an older OCZ Revo 3 x 2 PCIe SSD disk drive that is larger and to which I would like to migrate the current installation of Windows 10 to.

The OCZ drive works in the current configuration as drive D:. This particular drive requires that Windows load external drivers when used as a boot drive and I have the drivers and can create a new installation from my installation DVD by loading the required
    drivers from a USB thumb drive after booting from the DVD.

I can, and have, created a clone of the boot drive using HD-Clone but, of course, the system will not boot because Windows doesn't know that it needs to load the drivers, in my case ocz10xx.cat, .inf and .sys.

Is there any way to clone or otherwise migrate to this larger PCIe disk and get Windows to recognize it upon boot without having to do a complete reinstallation of Windows and all the programs I currently have?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

BlueSkyy, Sep 15, 2020
  3. Wilade Win User
    How to install PCIE SATA 3 board

I just tried your suggestion but I still can't see the device. I've attached screen shots of what I'm seeing in HWiNFO for reference.

PCIe SATA advice required please [​IMG]

PCIe SATA advice required please [​IMG]

I discovered last night that the installer seemed to have an error and was not copying the files from the CD to the place the installer was looking for them at. I copied the files manually and restarted the process. No error, but it still doesn't work or show up in Device Manager.

Wilade, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Clintlgm Win User

Tried to Divert a SATA port lacking issue with a PCIe substitute.

I would suggest you look into the Asus Motherboards most of them have supported M.2 PCIe 3 NVME with 2 slots for the last 3 years or so. From the Z97 through current models. If you go for an older model like the Z97 be sure to check the newer ones supported NVMe the original versions only support M.2 SATA and would us up two of your 6 SATA ports. Just check spec's before you buy the manuals for most MB are downloadable

Clintlgm, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

1. PCIe SATA advice required please - Similar Threads - PCIe SATA advice

2. View Poll Results: Use SATA to PCIe adapter for SSD or not?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    View Poll Results: Use SATA to PCIe adapter for SSD or not?: I have an Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (WiFi) motherboard and Ryzen 7 2700X CPU, 1 NVMe SSD, 1 M.2 SATA SSD, and an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti graphics card in the PCIe 3.0 X16 slot. Here's my dilemma: M.2_1 slot will accept SATA or NVMe SSD and will not share any PCIe lanes. M.2_2...
  3. Bsods on syba 40062 pcie card sata III

Bsods on syba 40062 pcie card sata III: I had to install the OS first on native sata ports and then I inserted the pcie card which gives me frequent crashes and does not boot with inaccessible boot device error.I managed to get it started, but every time I have to do a clean install it are problems. In device...
  4. Partition advice please

Partition advice please: Hi Sometime next week I'm getting a new computer it has a 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD I assume the SSD will be the one with Windows installed So my question is how big does a windows partition need to be to future proof for updates and such 170805
  5. Looking for PCIe to SATA 3 Add-in-card

Looking for PCIe to SATA 3 Add-in-card: I'm looking for a PCIe to SATA 3 add in card that actually works at X4 rates, that is, it must use all four lanes on the PCIe bus. The card can either provide sata connectors or permit insertion of a 2.5" SATA 3 SSD onto the card. Examples of the types of cards that would...
  6. Migrating Windows 10 on SATA SSD to PCIe SSD that requires drivers be installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows 10 on SATA SSD to PCIe SSD that requires drivers be installed: Hi, I have a Windows 10 installation in which the current boot drive, a SATA SSD, is almost completely filled. I have an older OCZ Revo 3 x 2 PCIe SSD disk drive that is larger and to which I would like to migrate the current installation of Windows 10 to. The OCZ drive...
  7. Tried to Divert a SATA port lacking issue with a PCIe substitute.

Tried to Divert a SATA port lacking issue with a PCIe substitute.: I'm currently trying to resolve a Sata port issue on my board, (and by Port issue, I'm referring to the lack thereof, considering it only has 2 ports on it.) My original solution was using a PCIe Sata Expansion card. Only the problem was my board has a PCIe 1.0, and not the...
  8. Hardware upgrade advice required

Hardware upgrade advice required: My PC has ECS - H61H2-M2 motherboard. It has 8GB DDR3 RAM. The processor is i3-2100 @3.10 GHz. The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 of 2GB capacity. The power supply is 450W. The motherboard, processor, one stick of 4GB DD3 RAM, power supply were bought in 2011 or 2012....
  9. Help and advice required

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help and advice required: Hi all I'm after a little advice from someone with a little more experience with networking. My lad has figured out that if he changes his MAC address he can bypass parental controls. So, i figured set it up only to allow x MAC addresses. However i was limited to 16...
  10. How to install PCIE SATA 3 board

How to install PCIE SATA 3 board: Hello all, First post. I'm trying to install a Sedna SE-PCIE-SATA6G-02, PCIE SATA III 2-port adapter into my computer but it doesn't seem to be recognized by Windows 10. I've recently added an SSD drive to my system and had to load the AHCI driver by booting into safe...