Windows 10: PCs and other devices visible on Verizon router network, but do not appear on File Explorer

Discus and support PCs and other devices visible on Verizon router network, but do not appear on File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to be able to transfer files easily between two Windows 10 computers. All the computers and other devices show up on the same mixed Wifi and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeteSmith1, Oct 15, 2019.

1. PCs and other devices visible on Verizon router network, but do not appear on File Explorer

I need to be able to transfer files easily between two Windows 10 computers. All the computers and other devices show up on the same mixed Wifi and Ethernet network on my Verizon G1100 router, and have IP addresses assigned, but when I look in File Explorer on either PC I cannot see the other PC (or any of the other devices). I'm sure it's something simple but need help.

Pete Smith

:)

PeteSmith1, Oct 15, 2019
  2. 24C
    24c Win User

Phantom router on network

Recently I've noticed a "phantom" router appearing in my network. The Belkin router is not mine, the Linksys is.

Properties of the Belkin router list serial number, MAC address, model number, model, manufacturer, but no IP address. It only shows up on my desktop, not the Pro 3's or HP laptop's File Explorer under Network.

Desktop is connected to network with a Netgear WNDA3100v3 N600 Dual Band USB Adapter - WPA2-PSK security type. Pro 3 and Laptop connect to network with their internal wireless connections

Haven't noticed any "strange" behavior, or usage, on my machines, but am curious as to why it is appearing in my network.

Also, any suggestions for a program that will scan the network and list all units "attached" to it?

PCs and other devices visible on Verizon router network, but do not appear on File Explorer [​IMG]

3. Network Devices not Showing with File Explorer

I am hoping that somewhere out there may be able to assist with my problem as I have exhausted countless hours on the various Forums and in tweaking my system with no result to date.
    The problem is that on my Home Network (Private) my main PC cannot “see” the other devices on the network. I have two laptops, printer and Samba drive (on my D-Link Router) and the only item that shows up is my own PC.
    The other PC running Win 10 pro can see ALL devices on the network.
    I can reach the other devices by entering L: \\computername and then access the various drives and documents on the device but my PC will not display them using File Explorer.
    Also, I have HomeGroup setup and working OK on both PC’s.
    My PC is running Win 10 Home Version 1511 Build 10586.36 64bit along with the MS Office Suite 2013.
    The solutions tried without success so far include:
    Netsh winsock reset
    Netsh int ip reset
    Ipconfig/release
    Ipconfig/renew
    Ipconfig/flushdns
    Uninstalled Client for Microsoft Networks then reinstalled
    Uninstalled the Adaptor drivers the reinstalled
    Checked the registry settings to ensure that the Network Category is correctly set to 1 (Private)
    Checked and confirmed that all the required Services are running – these include:

• DHCP Client
    • Diagnostic Policy Service
    • Diagnostic Service Host
    • Diagnostic System Host
    • DNS Client
    • Peer Networking
    • Server
    plus a few others that I can’t recall.
    Deleted all programs from Programs and Features that are not recognized or not required.
    Network discovery and file sharing are both turned on.
    When I run the Network trouble shooter it sometimes throws an error message “one or more protocols are missing from this computer” then attempts a fix which usually always fails. The detailed error log refers to win sockets but I have reset them many times with no difference. However, straight after a reboot the automatic fix will work and at results seeing my own PC through File Explorer>Network.
    On my other PC (wife’s) when I select - File Explorer>Network I get exactly what is expected, viz:
    IBMLaptop (hers)
    LenovoZ50 (Mine)
    SAMBA1 (attached to my DLink Router)
    Epson61477C (Printer)

The TCP/IPv4 setting on both PC’s are exactly the same.
    Also, I have another problem that I suspect is related in the “Network ID” button is greyed out and cannot be selected albeit I have confirmed that my network is set to “Private.
    I suspect that some other program is making changes to the network setting because very occasionally the File Explorer>Network will display all devices but later reverts to showing either no devices or only the LenovoZ50.
    Does anyone out there have any suggestions because I am completely flummoxed.

sandgroper48ig, Oct 15, 2019
  4. PCs and other devices visible on Verizon router network, but do not appear on File Explorer

1 router 2 computers 2 networks glitch

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

When you set up a PC, a HomeGroup is created automatically. If a HomeGroup already exists on your home network, you can join it.

You mentioned that both the computes are in different networks. This could be the reason why you are unable to create the homegroup. Therefore, I would suggest you to first try to add both the PC to a single network and try creating the homegroup again.

Refer the steps given below to add a device or PC to a network and check if it helps.

-Plug the PC into a hub, switch, or router and then turn it on. (If your home has Ethernet wiring and you have a jack in the room where the PC is, you can plug the PC into the Ethernet jack instead.)

To make sure you added the PC, follow these steps:

• Sign in to any PC on the network.

• Press Windows key + E to open file explorer and click "network".

• Make sure you see icons for the PC you added and for the other PCs and devices that are part of the network.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

PCs and other devices visible on Verizon router network, but do not appear on File Explorer

1. PCs and other devices visible on Verizon router network, but do not appear on File Explorer - Similar Threads - PCs devices visible

2. Win 11 does not show modem/router or other network computers in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 does not show modem/router or other network computers in File Explorer: Hi,Replaced Archer VR6100 modem/router with a VX220 mid-December.Network working perfectly before 22H2 updates 10/11 boxes.All boxes same workgroup, private network, discovery and sharing permitted without a password. All have fixed IP addresses, permanently assigned in...
  3. Win 11 does not show modem/router or other network computers in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 does not show modem/router or other network computers in File Explorer: Hi,Replaced Archer VR6100 modem/router with a VX220 mid-December.Network working perfectly before 22H2 updates 10/11 boxes.All boxes same workgroup, private network, discovery and sharing permitted without a password. All have fixed IP addresses, permanently assigned in...
  4. Windows blocks the entire internet network of other PCs and devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows blocks the entire internet network of other PCs and devices: I'm here to ask you for help. In our broadcaster we have various PCs and servers running 24 hours a day. In the last few days, always at the usual times 00: 00/01: 00 - 08: 00/09: 00 - 13: 00/13: 30 approximately our network it reaches a ping of 400 and the download drops...
  5. Network devices not visible

Network devices not visible: I've searched the internet over and taken heed of all advice given, implemented most of the most common fixes and I can't find a solution. I have 2 desktops, a laptop all Win 10 with latest updates AFAIK, a Buffalo NAS box and an HP laser printer on my home network. The...
  6. Other PCs on my Network???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Other PCs on my Network???: Hi guys, I've looked at my Network (This PC>Network) and have seen two other PC/Desktops that I don't recognise. What could this be and how can I find out? All help is appreciated! Thanks. submitted by /u/yeebaa [link] [comments]...
  7. "Network" Does Not Appear on File Explorer

"Network" Does Not Appear on File Explorer: When opening File Explorer>This PC, I no longer see "Network" listed. It shows all available drives but not "Network". All available network hardware is working and a second computer across the room is performing normally and seeing the network. This has been going on for a...
  8. USB Device visible on other PCs but not this one. Other USB devices work fine.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Device visible on other PCs but not this one. Other USB devices work fine.: A USB device (Garmin Oregon 750t) does not show when plugged in to the laptop. I have had it connected many times to this laptop without trouble. The device works fine when connected to other PCs. The USB ports work fine for other USB devices (external hard drive). Please...
  9. One PC's files not visible to other PCs on same network

One PC's files not visible to other PCs on same network: I have three computers in the same workgroup, my main computer (Desktop), a barebones system (Server), and a laptop (Laptop). Desktop and Server are both are connected by ethernet to the same router, with Laptop connecting to it via WiFi. Server and Laptop both see each...
  10. Other PCs on home network only show as media devices

Other PCs on home network only show as media devices: We used to have shares setup between the 4 computers on our home network. After the last update, the PCs only show up and connect as Media Devices. I can no longer access folders and files between computers. How can I fix this?...