Windows 10: PCs on network cannot access each other; one does not see itself

Discus and support PCs on network cannot access each other; one does not see itself in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a home network with a WIN 7 (hereafter referred to as 7) and a WIN 10 (hereafter referred to as 10) PC connected through a router via Ethernet.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JimElmore1, Aug 19, 2018.

1. PCs on network cannot access each other; one does not see itself

I have a home network with a WIN 7 (hereafter referred to as 7) and a WIN 10 (hereafter referred to as 10) PC connected through a router via Ethernet. Note that this configuration has performed well (including the printers I have connected) for several years. At some point recently the connections began to fail until I have the problems discussed in this posting.

I will apologize in advance for the length of this posting since I have tried many different proposed solutions from numerous forums. I will try to be brief in my summary and can expand on specific items if needed.

1. If I try to access either PC from the other I get the following:

\\(PC name) is not accessible. you might not have permission .......

2. 10 does not show itself in Explorer but does show 7

3. 7 shows itself and sometime shows 10 in Explorer

4. I can ping the PCs

5. Network Discovery is turned on in both 7 and 10

6. File Sharing and Printing is on in 7 but cannot be turned on in 10. By that I mean in 10 I turn it on, Save Changes, go back to check it and it is turned off. See the later discussion for my attempted fix for this.

7. Both 7 and 10 are part of the same Workgroup

What follows is my list of attempted solutions.

1. Ran sfc

2. Ran Services.exe

3. Tried turning on Windows Firewall and turning it off. Note that I don't use Windows Firewall - I use the router firewall.

4. Checked that the Base Filtering Engine was running. Running on 10, started it on 7.

5. Tried switching to static IP and back to DHCP.

6. Tried the following on a forum recommendation:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters /v SMB1 /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters /v SMB2 /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

powershell set-smbserverconfiguration -enablesmb1protocol $true

powershell set-smbserverconfiguration -enablesmb2protocol $true

7. Refer back to item 6 in my problem list. The Computer Browser service is not running on 10. It is running on 7. When I try to start it, I get the following:

"Windows could not start the Computer Browser on Local Computer. Review System Event Log."

I get Error Code: 2102 which is The Workstation driver is not installed.

8 The last thing I tried was to change a group of services to AUTO including Function Discovery Provider Host and Peer Networking Grouping.

Thank you for reading through all this. I hope I get a solution. This is driving me nuts. My printers are on 7 and I can't print anything from 10 as well as not being able to pass files back and forth.

:)

JimElmore1, Aug 19, 2018
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Aug 19, 2018
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

• Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    • Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    • Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    • Select add someone else on this PC.
    • Enter a user name and hit next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 19, 2018
  4. oily_17 Win User

PCs on network cannot access each other; one does not see itself

Home network

Did you try this

Just a stab in the dark really...

oily_17, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

PCs on network cannot access each other; one does not see itself

1. PCs on network cannot access each other; one does not see itself - Similar Threads - PCs network cannot

2. Two laptops on network cannot see each other

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two laptops on network cannot see each other: I have this problem everytime there's a cumulative update. Two laptops on my network cannot see each other. Cannot transfer files from one to another. What does it take to fix this thing for good? Senior citizen on fixed income. Cannot go out and buy new laptops or Windows...
  3. Two laptops on network cannot see each other

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two laptops on network cannot see each other: I have this problem everytime there's a cumulative update. Two laptops on my network cannot see each other. Cannot transfer files from one to another. What does it take to fix this thing for good? Senior citizen on fixed income. Cannot go out and buy new laptops or Windows...
  4. Two laptops on network cannot see each other

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. cannot see other pcs on network????

cannot see other pcs on network????: all of a sudden, i cannot see the other 2 pcs on my network, nor can they see me. i have win 10 64 home on all, all updates as of today, have made sure 2 Function services are started, and all SMB file sharing boxes are checked in windows programs and features. i even tried...
  6. Some network PCs not seeing each other

Some network PCs not seeing each other: I have 5 PCs on my network, all running Windows10. Some are connected to the router by ethernet, others by wifi: it doesn't seem to matter which. A, B and C can see all 5 including themselves. Both D and E can only see B and D. What could be stopping them seeing all five?...
  7. Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other

Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other: I have a home network with 2 PCs (C & B) and 2 laptops (C & D) all running Windows 10 with latest update. Using File Explorer - Network - A can see B & self (A) B can see A & self (B) C can see A & B but not self (C) D can see A & B and self (D) but not C A can see and...
  8. PC and laptop cannot see each other on network.

PC and laptop cannot see each other on network.: I checked previous posts but they seem to be slightly different to my problem. I have a PC and laptop, both on W10. Laptop is on wifi. They cannot see each other. Both machines can see other devices on the LAN. Both machines can print to a network printer. When I open "Add...
  9. New Win 10 PCs cannot see other PCs on network

New Win 10 PCs cannot see other PCs on network: I have 4 computers on a local private network. Previously these were 2 Windows 10 laptops which had been upgraded from Windows 7, 1 Windows 7 desktop and 1 Linux desktop. At that time all 4 computers could see every computer on the network and were set up so each could share...
  10. PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network

PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network: Hi Our network has not been working properly for ages but we've coped. Now, however, I want to get it working as it should do. Our network comprises three PCs, our two main PCs and a spare which does get used on a regular basis. All are connected via ethernet cables and...