Windows 10: PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by Edge

Discus and support PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by Edge in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Enterprise I don't want to use Edge. I use Chrome and Acrobat Reader DC. This happens to me constantly... I have the latest version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NeilOHara, Jun 23, 2020.

1. NeilOHara Win User

PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by Edge

Windows 10 Enterprise

I don't want to use Edge.

I use Chrome and Acrobat Reader DC.

This happens to me constantly...

I have the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC and Chrome, and Edge keeps stealing .PDF, but no other extensions.

I have tried all of the proper methods

• Go Settings, Apps, Default apps, at the bottom of the list click on Choose default apps by file type. Scroll down to .pdf and set the default to Acrobat.
    • Go Settings, Apps, Default apps, at the bottom of the list click on Choose set defaults by app. Scroll down to Acrobat and see that only .pdf is set to edge.
    • Also tried. right click on file and choose open with and choose to always use Acrobat.
    • Also tried. right click on file and choose properties open with and hit the change button for Opens with and choose acrobat.

at least once a week it gets put back to Edge. it keeps opening with acrobat until some mystery time.

I almost always have a pdf open in acrobat and usually never have edge open and yet it does this.

Also my default photo viewer gets removed from a 3rd party program from IrFanView to "nothing", not even the Windows photo viewer

Edge steals .htm files but nothing else from chrome, all other extensions are left as Chrome.

Now i see another application keeps stealing .DBF from Foxpro. and I never launch that other program except once a year but can't delete it.

I have looked through task schduler and don't see anything in there.

:)

NeilOHara, Jun 23, 2020

2. PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by WPS Offiice

I have WPS Office installed and it keeps hi-jacking the file association for PDF files.

I have tried right clicking a PDF file and changing its association to Edge - this works for a while then changes back to WPS Office.

I have gone into WPS Office settings and UN-checked PDF file associations in the file format associations section and this has stayed unchecked.

Nothing works.

Does anyone else have a solution to this?

HughColbert, Jun 23, 2020
  3. v_realo Win User
    PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by WPS Offiice

So you mean to say that the.PDF file association is already Edge but then again, WPS is still the one loading the PDF file?

Regards,

v_realo, Jun 23, 2020
  4. v_realo Win User

PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by WPS Offiice

Hi HughColbert,

I’m Rey, your Independent Advisor, and a Windows user, just like you.

I understand you want your PDF files to load on Edge.

You can work on this in two ways:

1. Right-click on a PDF file, click Properties, opens with, change Edge.

2. Next is by changing this through default programs.

Click Start, type Default Programs.

Select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Scroll and find the.PDF file, and search for Edge.

Normally Edge is located at C:\Windows\SystemApps\MicrosoftEdge

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

v_realo, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

1. PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by Edge - Similar Threads - PDF file association

2. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????: Really annoying that for some reason Windows 10 keeps changing my PDF file association from Acrobat to Edge. I have tried so many times to try to prevent this behaviour with no luck. I have tried to disable everything I can think of related to Edge, but I can't uninstall...
  3. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????: Really annoying that for some reason Windows 10 keeps changing my PDF file association from Acrobat to Edge. I have tried so many times to try to prevent this behaviour with no luck. I have tried to disable everything I can think of related to Edge, but I can't uninstall...
  4. Why does Windows 10 keep changing my PDF file association to Edge????

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. PDF file association is hijacked by Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF file association is hijacked by Edge: Hello! Edge is set as the default app for pdf files even though I never wanted this... the thing is that Edge should be fully uninstalled since I've used 3rd party scripts to remove bloat from my windows system, but now I can't change file associations for pdfs no matter what...
  6. PDF file association is hijacked by Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF file association is hijacked by Edge: Hello! Edge is set as the default app for pdf files even though I never wanted this... the thing is that Edge should be fully uninstalled since I've used 3rd party scripts to remove bloat from my windows system, but now I can't change file associations for pdfs no matter what...
  7. PDF file association is hijacked by Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by WPS Offiice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF file association keeps being hi-jacked by WPS Offiice: I have WPS Office installed and it keeps hi-jacking the file association for PDF files. I have tried right clicking a PDF file and changing its association to Edge - this works for a while then changes back to WPS Office. I have gone into WPS Office settings and UN-checked...
  9. MS Edge and PDF files - High-jacked

in Windows 10 Customization
    MS Edge and PDF files - High-jacked: What has happened with my Adobe Acrobat XI and MS Edge. Whenever I want create or open a PDF file, MS Edge takes over and displays the file. This is a recent occurrence, but it persists. Even though Acrobat asks me to make it my default for PDF files, which I do, Edge is...
  10. microsoft edge keep opening PDF files

in Browsers and Email
    microsoft edge keep opening PDF files: Yes I have done that without joy still Microsoft Edge keeps hijacking my .pdf files. [img]