Windows 10: PDF files and Microsoft Edge Issue

Discus and support PDF files and Microsoft Edge Issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi All, Normally you can associate a file type with any app that works with that type of file. I have always changed a file type of a app when I do a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Scramjet, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Scramjet Win User

PDF files and Microsoft Edge Issue

Hi All,
    Normally you can associate a file type with any app that works with that type of file. I have always changed a file type of a app when I do a clean install of Windows or install a different app. I recently installed Perfect PDF 9 Editor so I could read and edit any PDF file. I set the default app to Perfect PDF 9 and all seemed well. I right-click on a PDF file and select open with Perfect PDF 9 and check the box to open always. When it opened a popup came up and asked if I wanted to make Perfect PDF 9 my default. I clicked yes and all seemed fine. closed that PDF file and opened another and get same popup. I go to app default settings and Edge is set to open a PDF. I have tried a lot of google instructions on how to set the PDF file to associate to Perfect PDF 9 but every time Windows resets it back to Edge.
    I have even went into edge and set the site permissions to externally but nothing will stop Windows from resetting it back to Edge.So for days now I have to always right-click a pdf and open with Perfect PDF or if I forget it will open in Edge.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Scramjet, Sep 6, 2020

2. microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Microsoft Edge keeps taking over PDF file open/association

Every few days the file association for PDFs on my Windows 10 machine switches to Microsoft Edge.

I then right click on a PDF, choose "Open With -> Choose Another App", select Acrobat from the list, and check "Always use this app to open .PDF files".

Then for a few days it sticks, but always winds up going back to Microsoft Edge. I haven't figured out a pattern to suggest when/why this happens. It just does and is very annoying.

Does anyone have an idea of why this happens or how to permanently fix it?

Oz Solomon, Sep 6, 2020
  4. PDF files and Microsoft Edge Issue

Microsoft Edge is not the default for PDF files

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change Microsoft edge as a default file type for .PDF files and check if it helps.

1. Click on
    Start Menu
    > Settings > System >
    Default Apps

2. Scroll down and select ‘Choose default Apps by file type‘.

3. Scroll down and look for.pdfon the left side, click on ‘Microsoft Edge‘ to select, once ‘Choose
    an app’ popup opens, select the application you want to set as default to open PDF file type, done.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

PDF files and Microsoft Edge Issue

1. PDF files and Microsoft Edge Issue - Similar Threads - PDF files Microsoft

2. Saving problem with PDF files on Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving problem with PDF files on Microsoft Edge: Something has recently changed with Edge and PDF files. The PDF file can be opened with no issues but as soon as you make changes to it, a star appears on the file name and it can't be saved anymore. The save & save as options on the top are greyed out. There's no way to...
  3. Saving problem with PDF files on Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving problem with PDF files on Microsoft Edge: Something has recently changed with Edge and PDF files. The PDF file can be opened with no issues but as soon as you make changes to it, a star appears on the file name and it can't be saved anymore. The save & save as options on the top are greyed out. There's no way to...
  4. Saving problem with PDF files on Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files: Good day Supporti have problem with Edge keeps on hijacking my PDF, i have tried changing default app to adobe acrobat , but after a reboot edge becomes the default app. Please help ?Edge is up to date. Microsoft EdgeVersion 92.0.902.73 Official build 64-bitAcrobat reader is...
  6. PDF files and Microsoft Edge Issue

in Browsers and Email
    PDF files and Microsoft Edge Issue: Hi All, Normally you can associate a file type with any app that works with that type of file. I have always changed a file type of a app when I do a clean install of Windows or install a different app. I recently installed Perfect PDF 9 Editor so I could read and edit any...
  7. Typing on Microsoft Edge Pdf file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Typing on Microsoft Edge Pdf file: I recently bought Microsoft Surface Go. Every time I open a pdf file it opens with Microsoft Edge, although, I can use the pen and write on the document but what about if I want to type on the document? Is there an option? If not what can I do to make it accessible? Can I...
  8. copy and past pdf file in microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    copy and past pdf file in microsoft edge: I'm unable to copy and paste sections of a pdf file in microsoft edge but I'm unable to. Why is this so difficult? Everything was fine when I did this with the reader app. Please help....
  9. microsoft edge keep opening PDF files

in Browsers and Email
    microsoft edge keep opening PDF files: Yes I have done that without joy still Microsoft Edge keeps hijacking my .pdf files. [img]
  10. Microsoft Edge PDF file problems

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge PDF file problems: Typical MS I typed this message in and MS decided I was not logged in - so I logged in and lost the message - had to type it all again! Warning to you all - make a copy of your message before you submit your message. Microsoft Edge (MSE) is MS new offering in Windows 10...