Windows 10: PDF files don't open properly - opens several tabs instead

Discus and support PDF files don't open properly - opens several tabs instead in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every time I try to open a pdf file on my surface whether it's from OneDrive or saved locally, it opens 10 or 11 different tabs, all saying it has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tamrin, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Tamrin Win User

PDF files don't open properly - opens several tabs instead

Every time I try to open a pdf file on my surface whether it's from OneDrive or saved locally, it opens 10 or 11 different tabs, all saying it has failed to locate the file. It seems like the only pdf files I can open are the ones saved on my college system's OneDrive by using the browser mode.

All the tabs that follow the Microsoft logo open up when I simply tried to access one of my pdf files. This has never been an issue for me until today. My pdf files have always shown up as intended on browsers, so I'm not sure what's gone wrong here.

PDF files don't open properly - opens several tabs instead b3326258-afd2-4d7d-9bba-35ff00433903?upload=true.png

:)

Tamrin, Oct 15, 2020

2. Trouble Opening PDF's

Hi Parker,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist in Edge browser?
    • Do you get similar error when you open the PDF file in Adobe reader?

Check if you are facing similar issue in Edge browser.

Step 1: Open PDF file in Adobe reader and check if you are facing similar issue.

To open PDF file directly from Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

• Open Adobe application and click on Edit.
    • Click on Preferences and select Internet.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in Browser option and check if you are able to open the PDF file without getting the error code.

Step 2: If you are able to open PDF file in Adobe reader, I suggest you to
    Turn off Internet Explorer,
    enable it again and check if the issue is resolved.

For further assistance, I suggest you to post your query in Adobe support forum.

Acrobat Reader on Adobe Support Community

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 15, 2020
  3. PDF files is opening on Microsft Edge instead adobe reader

Hi Tresfjording,

To assist you better I would like to know which Window 10 build is installed on the system?

To check Windows version, press Windows key + R, type
    winver
    and press Enter.

Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1.

At first, I suggest you to check if any Windows update is pending.

• Type update on the Windows search bar and select
      Check for updates.

• Now click on Check for updates button, it will automatically check for the Windows update if any update is pending.
    Method 2.

If that does not helps, let’s select adobe to open the PDF files.

• Right-click any PDF file.

• Click on Properties and under
      Open With click Change.

• Now select Adobe from the list and click
      Ok.

• Check if Adobe opens all the PDF files.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 15, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

opening pdf file

Hi Kieran,

Right click a PDF file, choose 'Open With' - Choose Another App

Important - Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open PDF . . .'

If Edge is not in the list, scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Does Edge appear in that list?

If Edge will not open a PDF file for you, what error are you seeing when you try to open a PDF in Edge?

DaveM121, Oct 15, 2020
Thema:

1. PDF files don't open properly - opens several tabs instead - Similar Threads - PDF files don't

2. Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser: I have set Acrobat Reader as default application to open PDF files.When I double-click a PDF file in Windows explorer this works. It also works when I open PDF file in my OneDrive folder using Windows Explorer.However: when I go online to my OneDrive folder and click it, it...
  3. Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser: I have set Acrobat Reader as default application to open PDF files.When I double-click a PDF file in Windows explorer this works. It also works when I open PDF file in my OneDrive folder using Windows Explorer.However: when I go online to my OneDrive folder and click it, it...
  4. Open PDF files in Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of browser

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. several minutes for file to open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    several minutes for file to open: Hello, I have an ssd, Samsung 980 pro. The thing I have observed is that sometimes the system works just fine, but at random times when I open any Folderdoesn't mater how many files are in it, it takes up to 5-7 minutes to open. I have surfed the web, but haven't come...
  6. Can't open PDF files

Can't open PDF files: After installing Win 10 updates today, I cannot open PDF files. When attempting to do so, I get the error message "Windows cannot find C:\users......pdf Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. I looked at the community - and see this is not new. But...
  7. pdf files opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pdf files opening: When I try to open my statement in pdf it want me to save it, but I just want to open it and read it. Is there anything I have to do in setting to be able to just read pdf files? Thank you....
  8. PDF FILES NOT OPENING

PDF FILES NOT OPENING: HI, J HAVE WINDOWS10. PREVIOUSLY ALL WAS OK SINCE LAST 4 DAYS PDF FILES ARE NOT OPENING, IN ANY SOFTWARE IT IS OLY OPINING IN MICORSOFT ADGE ON DESKTOP OR IN SOFTWARE PDF FILES IS NOT OPEN I HAVE UNINSTALLED ACROBATE REDER DC AND REINSTALLED, PROBLEMS NOT SOLVE...
  9. Opening PDF files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Opening PDF files: Hi. I'm having trouble opening PDF files on my laptop, Windows 10. Once I click on the file, the toolbar shows a file named "Untitled". Instead of the file opening up, the toolbar starts to shake back and forth uncontrollably. My only option is to close down the whole...
  10. opening pdf file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    opening pdf file: I am suddenly unable to open pdf files on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/opening-pdf-file/f2a05bcd-930c-4f64-818e-88f726258f03