Windows 10: PDF files won't open - now only get "save as" option

Discus and support PDF files won't open - now only get "save as" option in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm using Google Chrome in Windows 10. issue: I used to be able to go into my bank site and click on a statement pdf file under view statements and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jicecube, Oct 15, 2018.

1. jicecube Win User

PDF files won't open - now only get "save as" option

I'm using Google Chrome in Windows 10.
    issue: I used to be able to go into my bank site and click on a statement pdf file under view statements and it would open the statement to view and then I could print it, save it or close it. Now when I click on a statement pdf file in the list I only get the "save as" menu. The view still works for another user on the same computer.
    What I've tried: I tried checking my Adobe Acrobat Reader app and it tells me it is up to date.
    Thanks for any help.

:)

jicecube, Oct 15, 2018

2. microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Anna Bon Win User
    PDF

Hello,

Regarding your PDF documents, the location will be based on where you saved the files. For your second inquiry, your documents can be converted to a PDF. If the original file is from Office Word, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• In Word, select File > Save As.

• Select where you want to save the file.

• Type a new File name if you want.

• For Save as type, select PDF.

• For Optimize for, select an option: Standard or
      Minimum Size.

• Select Open File After Publishing, if you want to open the file after you save it as a PDF. This is selected by default.

• Select Save.
    If the steps provided is not working, please get back to us with the exact version of your Office Word.

Let us know the result of the suggested steps.

Thank you.

Anna Bon, Oct 15, 2018
  4. PDF files won't open - now only get "save as" option

Trouble Opening PDF's

Hi Parker,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist in Edge browser?
    • Do you get similar error when you open the PDF file in Adobe reader?

Check if you are facing similar issue in Edge browser.

Step 1: Open PDF file in Adobe reader and check if you are facing similar issue.

To open PDF file directly from Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

• Open Adobe application and click on Edit.
    • Click on Preferences and select Internet.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in Browser option and check if you are able to open the PDF file without getting the error code.

Step 2: If you are able to open PDF file in Adobe reader, I suggest you to
    Turn off Internet Explorer,
    enable it again and check if the issue is resolved.

For further assistance, I suggest you to post your query in Adobe support forum.

https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

PDF files won't open - now only get "save as" option

1. PDF files won't open - now only get "save as" option - Similar Threads - PDF files won't

2. Saving a PDF file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving a PDF file: Why has Edge stopped allowing me to save a PDF file to my computer? I always could but now have to use Chrome to get the option. Very frustrating. Rita Harris https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-a-pdf-file/6582635a-c723-43bf-96c8-081a5f6586d1
  3. Saving a PDF file opened in Edge

Saving a PDF file opened in Edge: Until recently, a file opened in Edge could be saved by "right clicking", selecting "Save" and then saving to the target directory on Surface. Now the "Save" functionality is greyed out i.e. saving is not possible so you have to print to PDF which takes longer. Any idea...
  4. PDF & files saving & "save as"

PDF & files saving & "save as": Why does windows 10 suggest random files folders for saving items? Waste of our time. It should recall the last file folder we saved into and suggest that one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-files-saving-save-as/fcca6d13-f333-4e07-8bc9-30b27731d192
  5. .PDF File Won't open

.PDF File Won't open: No matter if I double click, right click "open with" the HOW DO YOU WANT TO OPEN THIS FILE pops up and no matter what program I choose it pops right back up after about 2 sec without the file opening. I can open PDF files from inside an application such as Adobe Reader...
  6. Saving .pdf files

Saving .pdf files: How do you save a .jpg file as a .pdf file? This is probably a novice question but I just can't figure it out! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-pdf-files/b0e8f9a1-b445-4b95-a8eb-926463c5e050"
  7. PDF document only saves as a HTML file with no option to print

PDF document only saves as a HTML file with no option to print: I received a document clearly marked as a PDF but when I downloaded it it was saved as HTML file and it won't give me an option to print https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-document-only-saves-as-a-html-file-with-no/4a2d40f0-c14c-4d82-b99a-3de82931d3ff"
  8. Saving PDF files

Saving PDF files: Lately I have not been able to save PDF files. I can print them but cannot save them. this is the same for all folders. I tried to remove any "Read Only" settings. I can save Word documents etc. So this seems specific to PDF files. I go to "Save As" and type in a...
  9. PDF files won't open - now only get "save as" option

in Browsers and Email
    PDF files won't open - now only get "save as" option: I'm using Google Chrome in Windows 10. issue: I used to be able to go into my bank site and click on a statement pdf file under view statements and it would open the statement to view and then I could print it, save it or close it. Now when I click on a statement pdf file in...
  10. PDF File won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PDF File won't open: how do I find out what is preventing my pdf file from opening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/pdf-file-wont-open/02ff285c-65b7-4cb3-98bb-a0b0ad44717f