Windows 10: PDF icons on desktop are black squares

Discus and support PDF icons on desktop are black squares in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Adobe Acrobat PDF icons have turned black on the desktop.I have tried numerous fixes - none seem to holdOne was to go to Control Panel - Admin Tools -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Murs0101, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Murs0101 Win User

PDF icons on desktop are black squares

Adobe Acrobat PDF icons have turned black on the desktop.I have tried numerous fixes - none seem to holdOne was to go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - and run Cleanupgo back to desktop and right click Refreshthis works to get rid of the black icons, but then they come right back againTwo was to Open each PDF and then do Save As and same back to the same namAgain this works at first, but the icons quickly return to all blackAny other suggestions our there?Thanks.

:)

Murs0101, Sep 29, 2021
  2. howardg Win User

PDF icons on desktop turn into black squares

PDF icons on desktop are black squares [​IMG]

Here are shots of my defaults for file types and the preference for the Adobe Reade app.

howardg, Sep 29, 2021
  3. howardg Win User

These two pictures show how the icon is supposed to look and what it eventually becomes. It is associated with the Adobe Reader App as indicated by the small Acrobat badge in the bottom right corner. It's supposed to show the first page of the PDF file, as shown on the right, but eventually it always goes black, as shown on the left.

Thanks.

howardg, Sep 29, 2021
  4. Berton Win User

This is what I get with my Adobe programs:

Berton, Sep 29, 2021
Thema:

1. PDF icons on desktop are black squares - Similar Threads - PDF icons desktop

2. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  3. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant black square over desktop icons: Hello, I have 2 computers that are constantly facing the same exact issues. Everytime I boot them, my desktop icons have black squares on them. There are quick fixes I have found that just put a bandaid on the problem such as using disk cleanup to delete temporary files and...
  4. Constant black square over desktop icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Black square shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black square shortcut Icons: Just started my pc up and most of my shortcut icons are completely covered with a black square. the icons that have a green tick on the bottom left aren't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-square-shortcut-icons/362dd587-3a8f-47ca-805f-1703983ad6ff
  6. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  7. Black screen and/or black square desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and/or black square desktop icons: Computer crashed. New computer with two monitors Windows 11 Pro began exhibiting black screen and tech was unable to resolve issue. They sent a replacement, which is also being replaced for another reason, however just two weeks in, both black screen and black squares around...
  8. Black squares instead of normal desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black squares instead of normal desktop icons: All of of sudden SOME of my desktop icons/for files now are black boxes ith a green check. I don't want the green check and the black box is a new issue.* Moved from Community Participation Center...
  9. Desktop icons are black squares

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons are black squares: For a couple weeks now, I have been stuck with these annoying icon thumbnails, and I have run out of ideas to fix the problem. Essentially, when I turn on my computer, all icons on my desktop and only my desktop that are not native to windows appear as these black squares. In...
  10. PDF icons on desktop turn into black squares

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF icons on desktop turn into black squares: Hi all. My Windows 10 Pro x64 computer (v. 10.0.19042, Build 19042) has developed an odd problem. The desktop icon for PDF files (a wallpaper image of the first page of the file), turns to black after a period of time. If I right-click on the desktop, select "Display...