Windows 10: PDF in Windows Explorer opens correct - PDF from software does not

Discus and support PDF in Windows Explorer opens correct - PDF from software does not in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; The configuration in Windows 10 to open PDF-files is correct set. So, if I double-click a PDF-file in Explorer it opens in the appropriate software PDF... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NicoLouagie, Feb 13, 2020.

1. PDF in Windows Explorer opens correct - PDF from software does not

The configuration in Windows 10 to open PDF-files is correct set. So, if I double-click a PDF-file in Explorer it opens in the appropriate software PDF Converter Professional in my case, Adobe Acrobat Standard 2017 for my colleague.

The strange thing is, if I create a PDF in my CAD-software with build-in PDF-printer, after the creation the PDF opens automatically, but in the Texteditor. When I try to open that file in Explorer, again it opens in the correct software.

I've already contacted several times the firm of the CAD-software about this. They say their software only creates the PDF-file and the opening of the file is handeled by Windows. Is this correct? Are there changes in Windows possible to make this work?

I've already dived into the Registry, but that remains a mystery. On several places you can find all those extensions, with 'OpenWithList'.

I've checked "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithList", as most of these topics refer to. That seems OK.

:)

NicoLouagie, Feb 13, 2020

2. Best free PDF software?

I use:
    • UnityPDF to merge/split PDFs and to insert/extract pages
    • doPDF to create PDFs from any program that is capable of printing
    • Foxit Reader to view PDFs and to type in them

Static~Charge, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Trouble Opening PDF's

Hi Parker,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist in Edge browser?
    • Do you get similar error when you open the PDF file in Adobe reader?

Check if you are facing similar issue in Edge browser.

Step 1: Open PDF file in Adobe reader and check if you are facing similar issue.

To open PDF file directly from Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

• Open Adobe application and click on Edit.
    • Click on Preferences and select Internet.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in Browser option and check if you are able to open the PDF file without getting the error code.

Step 2: If you are able to open PDF file in Adobe reader, I suggest you to
    Turn off Internet Explorer,
    enable it again and check if the issue is resolved.

For further assistance, I suggest you to post your query in Adobe support forum.

https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 13, 2020
  4. PDF in Windows Explorer opens correct - PDF from software does not

Searching in PDF?

Hey guys, I need to look up a large list of data from a PDF file, basically just to check if each entry of the list is in the pdf. Is there some way to do this without having to check one by one?

ebolamonkey3, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

PDF in Windows Explorer opens correct - PDF from software does not

1. PDF in Windows Explorer opens correct - PDF from software does not - Similar Threads - PDF Explorer opens

2. Preview for PDF not displaying correctly; Shows Index Of in Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Preview for PDF not displaying correctly; Shows Index Of in Explorer: [ATTACH]For some unknown reasons, the preview of PDF files may stop working under the Network folders and display the ‘INDEX OF…’ text. The problem especially persists with the PDF files only as Word and Excel files show up normally. Here’s what you do to fix the issue and...
  3. opening pdf documents from web

in Windows 10 Gaming
    opening pdf documents from web: When I click on a pdf from the web, I want it to open in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, not in Edge. I've seen multiple questions on this and the answers given seem obsolete as they refer to setting options that don't seem to exist eg, Edge opens PDF from web even if you have Acrobat...
  4. opening pdf documents from web

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    opening pdf documents from web: When I click on a pdf from the web, I want it to open in Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, not in Edge. I've seen multiple questions on this and the answers given seem obsolete as they refer to setting options that don't seem to exist eg, Edge opens PDF from web even if you have Acrobat...
  5. opening pdf documents from web

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. PDF in Teams not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF in Teams not opening: Hi TeamI am unable to open PDF in teams. 1Its not the file, the file exists and can be downloaded2 the file opens via Sharepoint3 I have adobe installed on local pc4 All PDF's are doing the same.RegardsGerhardt...
  7. PDF Preview in Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PDF Preview in Explorer: Having just done a clean install I'm quite pleased with the PDF viewer built into Edge, so will not be installing my usual PDF reader. However there is no preview in Explorer. I normally install Foxit to get the preview component. Is there anyway to get a PDF preview in...
  8. Software to draw on PDF files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software to draw on PDF files: Is there a free software I can use to draw on PDF files instead of printing the PDF file, writing on it, and then scanning it back? thanks 163026
  9. PDF opening Internet explorer 11

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF opening Internet explorer 11: Hello, I am using Windows 10 LTSC 2019 and when trying to view a PDF in IE11 it appears as a grey screen. However when you refresh the page a few times it then appears. Other browsers work absolutley fine, so am instructing people to use them for now, but does anyone know a...
  10. Couldn’t open PDF in Edge, Something’s keeping this PDF from the opening

in Windows 10 News
    Couldn’t open PDF in Edge, Something’s keeping this PDF from the opening: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 uses Microsoft Edge as a default web browser. This new built-in browser is replaced with the older Internet Explorer for its performance and features. Apart from serving a default browser, Microsoft Edge acts as a default PDF viewer [...] This...