Windows 10: PDF opened from NAS returns index of parent folder

Discus and support PDF opened from NAS returns index of parent folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, Lately, when I open a PDF file stored on my NAS, Chrome (the default browser) responds with an index of the parent folder as shown in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ztalk112, Dec 18, 2016.

1. ztalk112 Win User

PDF opened from NAS returns index of parent folder

Hi all,

Lately, when I open a PDF file stored on my NAS, Chrome (the default browser) responds with an index of the parent folder as shown in attached screenshot.

The same file opened from a local disk (ie not a mapped drive) opens correctly, in Chrome.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Thx in anticipation.

:)

ztalk112, Dec 18, 2016

2. SEARCH Win 10

If you go to the folder on the NAS, right-click and choose "Include in library", it should become indexed (anything in libraries are indexed by default if they can be). Although the indexing restrictions from Windows Vista/7 still apply.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 18, 2016
  3. How to add NAS shared folders to Win10 Library

Thanks again, but that doesn't work because network folders and the NAS folders are not available in the Indexing Options dialogue boxes.

boundangle, Dec 18, 2016
  4. Asuza Win User

Hello,

Could you install the following extension for Chrome?

PDF Viewer - Chrome Web Store

After completing, restart Chrome and try again.

Cheers.

Asuza, Dec 18, 2016
  5. ztalk112 Win User
    Ahhh, I already had a chrome extension for this purpose that worked well . . . and loading this one made no difference.

ztalk112, Dec 18, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Is Chrome PDF viewer disabled or checked when you go to chrome://plugins. If you have added any PDF programs, they can change the default programs for PDF's.

bro67, Dec 19, 2016
  7. Asuza Win User
    I wonder what would happen if you'd copy a random .pdf file from your NAS to your desktop and open it from there.

Also, could you open a Run Dialog with Windows key + R.

1) Type in "control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms"
    2) Click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"

PDF opened from NAS returns index of parent folder [​IMG]

3) Find the .pdf extension. Change the default program to Microsoft Edge and click "OK".
    4) Now change the default program for .pdf back to Chrome.

PDF opened from NAS returns index of parent folder [​IMG]

Click close and try again. If the issue still persists, you could consider using Microsoft Edge exclusively for .pdf files. But if you want to use Chrome, we can of course look further into the issue.

Asuza, Dec 19, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Asuza I am thinking that the OP is going to their NAS in the web browser through FTP. That in itself can be a part of why it is throwing it off. If they left click on the .pdf, it should be opening in Chrome, if they go to that folder in chrome. If not, we are both on the same page that the default program and plugin settings for chrome are screwed up.

bro67, Dec 19, 2016
  9. Asuza Win User
    Hello,

I forgot about that one ! thanks for the reminder. I thought that he was simply accessing his NAS with Windows Explorer.

Asuza, Dec 19, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    If he has it set for no login needed ftp, it should still work. I only use Samba on mine and FTP is used for the NVidia Shield and a file program I use with the iPhones.

I moved away from cheap NAS's and went with a Synology. Never had any issues with it, compared to the Lenovo ix2-4 that I had. The Lenovo was just one big headache.

bro67, Dec 20, 2016
  11. ztalk112 Win User
    I figured out what it was . . . it was hiding in plain site

I had to check the "allow access to file URLs" in PDF viewer at chrome://extensions

Once checked, files open in the viewer has they should. I've never had to enable this before, but there you are.

Thanks for your time guys.

ztalk112, Dec 22, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    That would be an unneeded extension that is causing that problem. You do not need any extension with Chrome, since it has a built in PDF viewer.

bro67, Dec 22, 2016
  13. ztalk112 Win User

That's what I thought!

So, what's the point of these PDF extensions . . . extra functionality?

Note: After disabling both PDF extensions I have, PDF files now open correctly in Chrome. However, previously (before I checked the "allow access to file URLs" in the only enabled extension), the original problem was evident even when no extensions were enabled.

ztalk112, Dec 22, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Nothing really. Some are useful, but now days too many of them are not needed with all of the changes that have been done with modern day browsers. Some of those extensions for Chrome are left over from when Google was still working on the PDF portion in Beta. The only extension that I use that interacts with the OS is the Mailto:, so that when I click on a email address, it goes to Yahoo Webmail, since Chrome does not have the ability to set it to take those links and open Mac Mail.

bro67, Dec 23, 2016
  15. ztalk112 Win User
    Hmmm . . . I spoke too soon. The original behavior has returned.

Clicking a PDF file in the mapped network drive returns an index of that file's parent folder (as described in my very first post).

ztalk112, Dec 23, 2016
Thema:

1. PDF opened from NAS returns index of parent folder - Similar Threads - PDF opened NAS

2. Microsoft Photos not indexing second shared folder on same nas

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Photos not indexing second shared folder on same nas: Hi, I have a Linux NAS where I share two folders, they are both mapped to Windows 10 22H2 and both perfectly visible and usable from File Explorer.I added the first one to Microsoft Photos say \\my-server\folder-A\Images and all worked fine.Then I added the second folder say...
  3. Microsoft Photos not indexing second shared folder on same nas

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photos not indexing second shared folder on same nas: Hi, I have a Linux NAS where I share two folders, they are both mapped to Windows 10 22H2 and both perfectly visible and usable from File Explorer.I added the first one to Microsoft Photos say \\my-server\folder-A\Images and all worked fine.Then I added the second folder say...
  4. How do I add NAS to index?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add NAS to index?: Added NAS 3 weeks ago and moved gigs of files there. Searching in that new directory yeilds nothingHow do I add NAS to indexing? network does not show as search target....
  5. File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders: Hi,This issue started today at work on several computers on both Windows 11 and Windows 10. Could it be related to a recent Windows update? Pdf files and only PDF's previews aren't working in any network folders, Instead of showing the file preview it shows "INDEX...
  6. File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders: Hi,This issue started today at work on several computers on both Windows 11 and Windows 10. Could it be related to a recent Windows update? Pdf files and only PDF's previews aren't working in any network folders, Instead of showing the file preview it shows "INDEX...
  7. Problem Indexing NAS Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem Indexing NAS Drive in Windows 10: Does anyone know how to Index a network drive in Windows 10? I cannot get the network drive location to show up in the Indexing Options. FYI: I'm looking for a solution that does not require me to store the NAS contents locally. Thank you to anyone who may be able and...
  8. Add a NAS location to Windows 10 Index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add a NAS location to Windows 10 Index: I want my network folder to be indexed by Windows. I am using Siemens Solid Edge 2020 with Solid Edge Data Management [SEDM] which needs Windows Indexing to work properly. We work on 2 separate PC's and store our drawingdata on a Synology 218+ NAS. This way we have acces to...
  9. Index NAS

Index NAS: I saved all my documents on my NAS. How can I index them 20921
  10. index Documents on NAS

index Documents on NAS: The folder 'My Documents' is on my Nas-server. How can I index this folder. In windows 7 I used Library Tool, in my opinion it is not working on W10 9615