Windows 10: PDF shortcut / icon will not delete from desktop. Can't rename. Can't move to another...

Discus and support PDF shortcut / icon will not delete from desktop. Can't rename. Can't move to another... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Working on an HP machine with Windows 10. I've tried: 1 - Right Click + Delete 2 - Moving to Recycling Bin including dragging to Recycling Bin 3 -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jonathan R. Wetherbee, Mar 3, 2020.

1. PDF shortcut / icon will not delete from desktop. Can't rename. Can't move to another...

Working on an HP machine with Windows 10.

I've tried:

1 - Right Click + Delete

2 - Moving to Recycling Bin including dragging to Recycling Bin

3 - Renaming File

4 - C: > Users > [Username] > Desktop > Delete/Rename/Move/etc.

5 - A Lenovo / Preview Panel bug fix

6 - Cut + delete/paste in Recycling Bin/past in other file folder

7 - Highlight + delete

8 - Compressing the file Error message: "Windows cannot create the Compressed zipped Folder. File may be in use."

9 - Playing with CAPS Lock and NUMS Lock a thread mentioned bugs with these buttons.

10 - Compressing 'to save disk space' and then deleting

Each time the file is still on my desktop, without a change in name, and without being deleted. The file can be moved around to a different place on my Desktop, but that's all I can do with it.

Background: I created the file via "Microsoft Print to PDF" feature. It is a *link* to download a PDF. So, when I drag the icon to my Google Chrome shortcut icon, it will commence the download of the PDF page a PDF of a tweet thread. That downloaded PDF of the tweet thread works fine and can be deleted/moved/etc. The file that won't go away is about 222 KBs. It's an Adobe Acrobat Document file.

Edti: Have spoken and screen-shared with both Windows and Adobe Acrobat personnel and neither has a solution.

:)

Jonathan R. Wetherbee, Mar 3, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 3, 2020
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Mar 3, 2020
  4. PDF shortcut / icon will not delete from desktop. Can't rename. Can't move to another...

How can i restore my accidental deletion of about 1/2 of my desktop icons

Hi,

Since your desktop icons are not in the Recycle Bin, we suggest that you create a new shortcut for your preferred applications. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop > New > Shortcut.
    • Enter the path of the application you want to create an icon or select Browse... > click OK > Next > Finish.
    Note: If the deleted icons on your desktops are not shortcuts, but are saved files, it may be possible to retrieve them if they are saved in OneDrive.

Let us know if you have other inquiries.

Regile Reb, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

PDF shortcut / icon will not delete from desktop. Can't rename. Can't move to another...

1. PDF shortcut / icon will not delete from desktop. Can't rename. Can't move to another... - Similar Threads - PDF shortcut icon

2. Can't delete, rename or move image.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete, rename or move image.: I have two images in my Downloads and I can't delete them. They have weird names which are "data=[a bunch of random letters and numbers]'. Whenever I try to rename them it reverts back into the old name. When I press delete it does NOTHING, I CAN'T EVEN MOVE IT OR COMPRESS IT...
  3. Can't delete, rename or move image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete, rename or move image.: I have two images in my Downloads and I can't delete them. They have weird names which are "data=[a bunch of random letters and numbers]'. Whenever I try to rename them it reverts back into the old name. When I press delete it does NOTHING, I CAN'T EVEN MOVE IT OR COMPRESS IT...
  4. Can't delete, rename or move image.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't delete a shortcut from desktop, Win10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a shortcut from desktop, Win10.: I'm unable to delete a shortcut from Firefox and a website I was browsing. I've selected it and hit the "delete" key and right clicked to delete it. I tried moving it to Recycle Bin. I have started Windows in safe mode and tried to delete it and it still won't work. The...
  6. Can't delete a shortcut from desktop, Win10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete a shortcut from desktop, Win10.: I'm unable to delete a shortcut from Firefox and a website I was browsing. I've selected it and hit the "delete" key and right clicked to delete it. I tried moving it to Recycle Bin. I have started Windows in safe mode and tried to delete it and it still won't work. The...
  7. Can't delete a shortcut from desktop, Win10.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. can't delete desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete desktop shortcuts: [ATTACH] everytime i try to delete something it says "item not found" and turning into a globe https://preview.redd.it/394w025d6yp61.png?width=84&format=png&auto=webp&s=c967e10948be142ae9ebbf7ae8b96ef61135c10b submitted by /u/xander1090 [link] [comments]...
  9. I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!: Hello, so I've been trying to delete a file from my desktop, but it just doesn't seem to work. I try to ove it to the recycle bin but either nothing happens or the progress bar appears but it doesn't progress anything, I even tried shredding the file with File Shredder, but...
  10. Can't move shortcuts on desktop...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move shortcuts on desktop...: After I install an application and it creates a shortcut on the desktop, I can't move the shortcut to another position. When I try to move it, I get a small slashed circle. What's up with that? 18020