Windows 10: PDF thumbnails disappeared, icons only after update

Discus and support PDF thumbnails disappeared, icons only after update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Last Sunday there was a system update and now my PDF thumbnails have disappeared and only the icon shows. I'm running Adobe Reader DC, there are no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dagunk1787, May 3, 2020.

1. PDF thumbnails disappeared, icons only after update

Last Sunday there was a system update and now my PDF thumbnails have disappeared and only the icon shows. I'm running Adobe Reader DC, there are no updates available on it; I have "show previews" checked in Adobe and in windows options "Always show thumbnails--ON" and "show icons--OFF" I have un-installed and re-installed Adobe with no change and for good measure, FoxIt. I did notice that when I downloaded a new PDF from the web to my desktop, the thumbnail showed up but as soon as I clicked on the file, the generic icon replaced it. I am not really interested in running 3rd party software for this fix. Within Adobe, the "recent files" is showing as thumbs, so it definitely seems to be on the windows side, not the Adobe side.

:)

dagunk1787, May 3, 2020
  2. banditrvp Win User

File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

In Windows 10 File Explorer, I see thumbnails for a few of my pdf files but still see the generic Adobe pdf icon for most of them.

• In Windows 10 folder options, the checkbox for “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked.
    • On the Adobe Reader preferences general tab, “Enable PDF thumbnails previews in Windows Explorer” is checked.
    • Adobe Acrobat is set as my default PDF viewer.
    • I have used Disk Cleanup to delete all my thumbnails to clear and rebuild the cache, yet the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on how I can see all the pdf icons as thumbnails?
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.657
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (20.006.20034)

I asked over in the Adobe Acrobat Reader forum a few days ago but have received no replies.

PDF thumbnails disappeared, icons only after update [​IMG]

Ron

banditrvp, May 3, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Picture Files not updating thumbnails

Hi,

I realize that the picture files are not updating thumbnails. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to perform “Disk Cleanup”, cleaning up the temporary internet files, thumbnail, cookies and temp files, so as to check the thumbnail view of the photo is updated by cleaning up your temporary data.

Further, if the issue persists then you can also follow these steps:

• Right click in the Folder that contains the images.

• Select View.

• Note the current icon size, and change it to another size (ie: "Medium-Icons" to "Large-Icons", then back to "Medium-Icons").

• This causes the icons to be resized and their cache updated.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, May 3, 2020
  4. Martlon Win User

PDF thumbnails disappeared, icons only after update

PDF thumbnail icons change to black Windows 10

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes the problem is only with PDF thumbnails, all my other icons are fine.

I had tried the 2 steps you suggest several weeks ago but they did not help. I have however run the system file checker again which did not find any corruption or problem.

I would still very much like to find how to enable auto refresh in Win 10 as I feel this could be the answer as I mentioned in my original posting.

If you have any further suggestions I'd be very pleased to hear.

Thanks again

Martlon, May 3, 2020
Thema:

PDF thumbnails disappeared, icons only after update

1. PDF thumbnails disappeared, icons only after update - Similar Threads - PDF thumbnails disappeared

2. PDF thumbnail view

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF thumbnail view: Is there a thumbnail view for PDFs? PDF docs in folders are displayed as icons. It would be very helpful if I could view them as images. I have Acrobat DC, and the whole creative suite....
  3. Thumbnails not showing, only icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails not showing, only icons: Hi.I`ve tried all the recommendations that were on Google, and cant get the thumbnails to come back.All of these I`ve tried..............https://allthings.how/10-ways-to-fix-image-and-video-thumbnails-not-showing-problem-on-windows-10/Even asked "Bleeping Computer" forum...
  4. PDF Thumbnails disappeared after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    PDF Thumbnails disappeared after update: Windows 10 version 2004 Japanese updated Soft/Drivers updated I do not know the exact reason why PDF file thumbnails disappeared. I did not install or uninstall any software. I have enabled PDF thumbnails in the Windows explorer. I have also cleared the thumbnail cache. I...
  5. PDF thumbnails disappeared in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF thumbnails disappeared in Windows Explorer: Hello Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ‎28-‎May-‎20OS build 19042.746 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 PDF APP: Nitro Pro, Sumatra, Foxit After the Windows update of mid Jan 21 and the update to Nitro 13.33 Pro the thumbnails of PDF...
  6. Picture thumbnails and taskbar icons keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Picture thumbnails and taskbar icons keep disappearing: [IMG] I've tried almost every basic fix and more specific fix I can to try and handle this, and it still keeps happening. It's been fine for a while, but I just realized it happened again. Can absolutely anyone tell me why in the world this is happening or how to fix it?...
  7. **** - thumbnails disappeared.

**** - thumbnails disappeared.: I had a problem. I posted a question. Greg Carmack responded. I cannot get back to his response to respond to it, so I am posting again. . I followed his directions and lost my whole desk top. Now all I have is a solid white screen. He responded to me on an email I...
  8. Thumbnails showing only icon

Thumbnails showing only icon: Why do thumbnails of downloaded photos now show only the icon, not the picture? Can this be cured? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumbnails-showing-only-icon/fa5d3dc9-bd66-4142-8704-d8c8afc0bfba"
  9. PDF thumbnails

PDF thumbnails: I’d like to learn how the file explorer preview pane display thumbnails of PDF documents. I need it to capture and then save the thumbnail of the first page of PDFs to a photo format (e.g., jpg, png, tiff, etc)....
  10. Icon thumbnails disappearing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icon thumbnails disappearing: Very often all my thumbnails will disappear. Desktop, toolbar, file thumbnails etc all disappear and will not reload until I restart my system. This happens way to often and computer seems sluggish when it does. What can I do?? I figure it's a memory problem but I'm not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. thumbnails disappeared windows 10

2. thumbnails disappeared after update