Windows 10: pen drive partitioning for Windows install, Backup and personal files

Discus and support pen drive partitioning for Windows install, Backup and personal files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am thinking to make 3 partition in my pen drive. First one for personal files n folders. Second for bootable Windows installation and third for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sam9, Jul 18, 2016.

1. sam9 Win User

pen drive partitioning for Windows install, Backup and personal files

I am thinking to make 3 partition in my pen drive. First one for personal files n folders. Second for bootable Windows installation and third for bootable Macrium Reflect. Am I rightly partitioning. As per my knowledge windows recognize only first partition of pendrive. So I will keep first partition for my documents so that I could access them within windows and as second n third partitions are for windows installation and macrium backup so I can access them while booting. Any suggestions.

:)

2. problem in copying files in win 10

not able to copy files in file explorer in partition drive or pen drive in windows 10.how can it be fixed

gaurav1singh, Jul 18, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    help

No such thing as a "partition drive."

When a Windows PC is reset, the partition containing Windows - known as the system partition - is overwritten, so all files previously on the partition are lost. If you store your personal files in the system partition, as most do, they will be lost when
    the PC is reset. Therefore, before resetting a PC it is essential to backup any files and folders stored in the system partition.

BulldogXX, Jul 18, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Interesting concept, will have to try it one of these days but I think you can make USB bootable and boot only from main partition so MR partition may not be bootable and it needs to be able to work.

CountMike, Jul 18, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    One way I think your very cool idea may work: successfully use correct ISO for WinPE [correct?] on one partition, successfully use correct ISO for Macrium Reflect boot on another partition. Then, depending upon which partition you want to boot at the time, you have use some sort of disk management that will recognize and work upon flash drives to mark the desired partition as active. If you're successful, have two of such flash drives, in case one temporarily doesn't work. And, other sources indicate: it is best that those booting partitions exist before any Logical [data] partitions. Please post your success steps, I'm very interested!

RolandJS, Jul 18, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    2 types of USB sticks: "Removable" and "Basic". Can only be done with Basic (Fixed disk).

pen drive partitioning for Windows install, Backup and personal files [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jul 18, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    It is now virtually impossible to buy "fixed disk" drives now without buying the expensive "Windows To Go" certified drives.

However, you can create multiboot drives from a conventional removeable flash drive, using YUMI.

How to Create a Multi Boot USB Drive with Yumi: 10 Steps

As far as I know, each OS is in an iso, and cleverly boots that iso.

cereberus, Jul 18, 2016
  8. sam9 Win User

Thanks for advising that it can be done only with basic usb.
    How did you converted your removable usb to basic. What about utility lexar boot it

9. cereberus Win User
    Unless topgundcp was very lucky, either owning a flash drive already set, or found one that could be converted, none of those utilities have worked for several years. San cruzer did some a few years back, but changed back without telling anybody (and i got caught out thinking I was buying a fixed drive disk).

You can buy a Windows To Go Drive but way overpriced.

Of course, I await topgundcp's response in slim hope he can prove me wrong.

cereberus, Jul 18, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It is much easier to do with an SSD or laptop HDD installed in a USB enclosure.

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    But that's much larger tan 2 or 3 USB sticks. Actually, I use SD and micro SDs for boot and service disks.

CountMike, Jul 18, 2016
  12. sam9 Win User
    Thanks. Me also waiting for his response or someone else to come up with his experience in this matter.

Thema:

1. pen drive partitioning for Windows install, Backup and personal files - Similar Threads - pen drive partitioning

2. pen drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pen drive: my pen drive cruzer blade is not open in my pc. And it notify that it is install but i can't see thier icon in my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pen-drive/564e65c4-164c-4e3a-835c-c470452f16cd
  3. pen drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pen drive: my pen drive cruzer blade is not open in my pc. And it notify that it is install but i can't see thier icon in my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pen-drive/564e65c4-164c-4e3a-835c-c470452f16cd
  4. Pen Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pen Drive: Hi. I always face a question that my pen drive always undetected when I'm triying to transfer files to it. I download video that my teacher sent me on WhatsApp but everytime I try to transfer from my computer to pen drive it will run awhile and after that it says there's some...
  5. Pen Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pen Drive: Hi. I always face a question that my pen drive always undetected when I'm triying to transfer files to it. I download video that my teacher sent me on WhatsApp but everytime I try to transfer from my computer to pen drive it will run awhile and after that it says there's some...
  6. backup drive file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup drive file: Accidentally I deleted all files or programs from the c drive and also deleted them from recycle bin. now, my laptop can't run properly. So I'm tried to reset my laptop, but I'm failed. now, what can I do? how I fix my all problems? how can I reset my laptop properly...
  7. AppData- Apps installed on a pen drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    AppData- Apps installed on a pen drive: Sir, I have some apps installed on my Pen Drive and I don't always want to sign in when inserting it from one computer to another. Is there a way so that I change the App Data folder for 'Specific Apps' ? * Moved from MSN* Original title: AppData* OS assumed to be Windows 10...
  8. Can I backup my files in D/E Drives of the partition for Clean Installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I backup my files in D/E Drives of the partition for Clean Installation of Windows 10?: I need to clean install Windows 10 to fix some OS issues. I don't have external data backup facilities, my laptop being my prime data storage. Can I transfer all my files to D: or E: drive and Clean install Windows safely? Will clean installation erase my entire 1TB HDD ?...
  9. Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive: My laptop, which is essentially a portable version of my desktop, has one physical drive partitioned into System and Data partitions. The Data partition is sync'd with my laptop so, if it were to be lost, it could be readily, though slowly, recovered. I use Reflect to create...
  10. Backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive: Whether partitioning of pen drive is required to keep backup image on Macrium rescue pen drive? 27742