Windows 10: pen drives

Discus and support pen drives in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My old PC was BIOS. My new one is UEFI but set to legacy by my builder as I am not techy. I have pen drives I used to use with my old BIOS PC. Can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by maranna, Feb 27, 2019.

1. maranna Win User

pen drives

My old PC was BIOS.
    My new one is UEFI but set to legacy by my builder as I am not techy.
    I have pen drives I used to use with my old BIOS PC.
    Can I use these sticks as they are simply formatted for storage?
    How does this affect how I create and use a pen drive?

Do I need to format them for UEFI only if I want to boot from them?
    Hello
    My Macruim stick works as it was created by Macrium.

I have a stick I made with the media creation tool and hope it is functional without formatting as UEFI. I made it with this PC.

If I want to use a stick to boot to a Linux distro, do I need to make it for UEFI -I ask b/c Rufus does not allow for persistence to my knowledge. I tried 3 sticks but none worked with Ubuntu using LILI and USB Creator.

Any tips you can impart would really be useful in helping me with these pen drives and how I use them.

Is it true that as long as my PC is set to Legacy I treat it like the old BIOS and any stick created by this PC is as it should be?
    Thank you

:)

maranna, Feb 27, 2019

2. related to pen drive

Hi,

A Pen Drive or USB is a data storage device that includes flash memory with an Integrated USB interface, and is a Plug and play device. That said, your computer should easily recognize your Pen Drive without any issues. A software might be blocking it, or
    an update is needed for it to work properly. However, let us isolate your concern by providing the answers to these questions:

• Is your Pen Drive working in other devices?
    • Were there any changes (Updates, software installation) made prior to the issues?
    • Have you tried using another Pen Drive on your computer?

in the meantime, we suggest that you insert your Pen Drive, and check if there's any error(s) in Device Manager.

We're looking forward to your response.

Carlos Tin, Feb 27, 2019
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Unspecified USB Pen Drive

Hi,

This can be caused by a driver issue or virus-infected USB drive. For further isolation of the issue and for us to provide a solution suitable to your pen drive concern, we need additional information. Can you answer the questions below?

• When did this happen?
    • Were there any recent changes made to your device prior to the issue?
    • Does it appear in the disk management?
    • Can you connect other USB drives and see if the same error will occur?

In the meantime, try updating the USB driver as an initial troubleshooting step and see if the error will occur again when you connect your USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Look for Universal Serial Bus controllers and click it to expand.
    • Select the driver then right-click on it and select Properties.
    • Under Driver tab, click the Update Driver
      button to update the driver.

We're looking forward to your response.

Anne Ros, Feb 27, 2019
  4. pen drives

Lost space of Pen Drive

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Have you tried connecting to a different computer?
    I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

First back up all the data from your USB drive to another location.

I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to refresh the drive letter and then try to rescan the drives that are connect to the computer and check.

To refresh drive letter:

• Open Computer Management (Local).
    • In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click
      Storage, and then click Disk Management.
    • Click Action, and then click Refresh.
    • Once you have refreshed connect the new zip drive and to update hardware information, click Rescan Disks instead.
    Step 2: For unallocated space on USB drive

• Press the Windows key, and type Diskpart.

• Click the result to open the DiskPart command prompt window.

• In the command prompt window, type list disk and hit Enter.

• The removable USB drive or hard disk will be shown under
      Disk 1.

• Type in the following commands and hit Enter.
    select disk 1

Clean

create partition primary

• The first command selects your removable USB drive.

• The Clean command deletes all the current partitions present on the USB drive.

• The Create primary partition creates a fresh partition and allocates all the unallocated space on this fresh partition.

• Type Exit to close the command prompt window.

• Unplug your USB drive and plug it back again.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

pen drives

1. pen drives - Similar Threads - pen drives

2. Why is Microsoft shipping Windows 11 on exFAT format pen drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Microsoft shipping Windows 11 on exFAT format pen drives?: Hi, this is my use case:- Equipment: brand new hp OMEN16, UEFI and FreeDos- Pen drive: brand new Windows 11 boot files purchased from the windows storeWhen I try to boot my OMEN from the pen drive, the OMEN does not recognize it. I spared 1 day looking for a solution. I found...
  3. Why is Microsoft shipping Windows 11 on exFAT format pen drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Microsoft shipping Windows 11 on exFAT format pen drives?: Hi, this is my use case:- Equipment: brand new hp OMEN16, UEFI and FreeDos- Pen drive: brand new Windows 11 boot files purchased from the windows storeWhen I try to boot my OMEN from the pen drive, the OMEN does not recognize it. I spared 1 day looking for a solution. I found...
  4. I transferred some pictures from pen drive to laptop, but I can't see the pictures...when I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I transferred some pictures from pen drive to laptop, but I can't see the pictures...when I...: I transferred some pictures from pen drive to laptop but I can't see the pictures...when I click on the picture it says "its looks like we don't support this file format" what's the solution??...
  5. I transferred some pictures from pen drive to laptop, but I can't see the pictures...when I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I transferred some pictures from pen drive to laptop, but I can't see the pictures...when I...: I transferred some pictures from pen drive to laptop but I can't see the pictures...when I click on the picture it says "its looks like we don't support this file format" what's the solution??...
  6. I transferred some pictures from pen drive to laptop, but I can't see the pictures...when I...

7. Wrong usb pen drive icon in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong usb pen drive icon in file explorer: hi, I see the wrong pen drive icon, like that of an exe file. the problem only appears in the file explorer, because in the disk management I see the right icon....
  8. Wrong usb pen drive icon in file explorer

Wrong usb pen drive icon in file explorer: hi, I see the wrong pen drive icon, like that of an exe file. the problem only appears in the file explorer, because in the disk management I see the right icon....
  9. Why are Microsoft official Windows Pen Drives such poor quality?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are Microsoft official Windows Pen Drives such poor quality?: I have bought official Windows 11 & 11 Pro drives from Amazon, they both have the official Microsoft hologram on the box and the drive, but they don't fit in any of the usb sockets on my motherboard , I know its not my motherboard that's at fault because any other usb drive...
  10. Why are Microsoft official Windows Pen Drives such poor quality?

Why are Microsoft official Windows Pen Drives such poor quality?: I have bought official Windows 11 & 11 Pro drives from Amazon, they both have the official Microsoft hologram on the box and the drive, but they don't fit in any of the usb sockets on my motherboard , I know its not my motherboard that's at fault because any other usb drive...