Windows 10: Performance issues after updating, most likely due to Spectre fix

Discus and support Performance issues after updating, most likely due to Spectre fix in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, A few weeks ago, my laptop got a BIOS update and since then it has been running ridiculously slow. I own a pavilion laptop 15-aw01nd, with an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AliceN1, Jan 2, 2019.

1. AliceN1 Win User

Performance issues after updating, most likely due to Spectre fix

Hello,

A few weeks ago, my laptop got a BIOS update and since then it has been running ridiculously slow. I own a pavilion laptop 15-aw01nd, with an AMD processor.
    After browsing the internet for a while I concluded it must be due to the fix for the Spectre problem. I tried several things to fix it, such as downloading the windows update KB 4078130. However, it does not seem to work. After I downloaded it and try to open or run it, it does nothing.

Since I do not know a lot about computer systems, or how to go about solving these problems, my brother helped me out.
    We tried several things such as changing registry settings, however we did not succeed in this endeavour. Following the steps as described in this article (https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/ADV180002, point 17 and 18) did not work (or refused to work). The same article seems to mention a solution, a windows security update Microsoft released in August 18 for my operating system , but I cannot find this update.
    In the end we sort of fixed the problem by running the InSpectre tool and turning off the fix. However, this is a temp. solution. Does anybode have advice for me how to keep my laptop protected and running smoothly??

Any help is very much welcome!

:)

AliceN1, Jan 2, 2019
  2. Kuroneko Win User

NVIDIA GeForce 390.65 Driver with Spectre Fix Benchmarked in 21 Games

They might not really be affected by this, but they're working with other companies to iron out performance issues.

Source: https://www.androidcentral.com/meltdown-spectre (about halfway)

Kuroneko, Jan 2, 2019
  3. londiste Win User
    Intel Deploys Microcode Update for Spectre Flaw on Skylake

They were found as twins. When it comes to mitigation though, that is different for both of them as well as for Spectre variants. As you noted, AMD CPUs are not vulnerable to Meltdown and needs no patches for it. Intel CPUs do. These are the KPTI patches for Linux and similar patches for MacOS/Windows. Microcode updates (what this news/thread is about) have nothing to do with Meltdown. Microcode patches are for Spectre 2.

That was their initial statement. I would like to point out wording there. "Near zero risk" is quite an interesting phrase when it comes to security issues and there are examples from the past where this has come back to bite companies in their asses.

However, you might want to read the statement update from a week later - 11th. I copy-pasted this directly from your link:
    Second one does. Intel's broken microcode updates saga has all been about this exact Spectre 2 mitigation. AMD states (in their statement quoted above from link you provided. also, you say it does yourself in the quote below) it will release microcode fixes for Spectre 2. I am not sure why you claim it is different.
    That optional part might be interesting. Linus was very annoyed with Intel when their patches had the apparent intent of defaulting Spectre mitigation to being turned off. Now AMD officially says their microcode updates are optional...

londiste, Jan 2, 2019
  4. RichF Win User

Intel Deploys Microcode Update for Spectre Flaw on Skylake

You may want to notify the OP:

RichF, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Performance issues after updating, most likely due to Spectre fix - Similar Threads - Performance issues updating

2. Frequent BSoD and black screen due to most likely a GPU issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent BSoD and black screen due to most likely a GPU issue: Just a month ago I bought this laptop and since the day I bought it, it gives BSoD, most frequently video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error. As it is a gaming laptop, it comes with a discrete GPU only mode and when I turn this on, the screen goes black after a few minutes of usage. But if...
  3. Frequent BSoD and black screen due to most likely a GPU issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent BSoD and black screen due to most likely a GPU issue: Just a month ago I bought this laptop and since the day I bought it, it gives BSoD, most frequently video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error. As it is a gaming laptop, it comes with a discrete GPU only mode and when I turn this on, the screen goes black after a few minutes of usage. But if...
  4. Performance issues due to window 11 updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performance issues due to window 11 updates: For the past week or more I notice win11 becoming sluggish with UI and such being slow to open up and work. It was only recently that I was made aware of this being due to a couple of the recent updates put out. I can't roll back to the previous version and my system restore...
  5. Performance issues due to window 11 updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Performance issues due to window 11 updates: For the past week or more I notice win11 becoming sluggish with UI and such being slow to open up and work. It was only recently that I was made aware of this being due to a couple of the recent updates put out. I can't roll back to the previous version and my system restore...
  6. Having an issue with (most likely) video drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having an issue with (most likely) video drivers: Hello everyone, I have set my laptop (Asus X-509) screen to turn off after a couple of minutes of inactivity. However, if I have a YouTube video paused when the screen shuts off, it doesn't come back on. The screen turns on, but it is completely black. Sometimes, after a...
  7. Laptop crashed (most likely) due to full soft drive?

Laptop crashed (most likely) due to full soft drive?: I accidentally filled up my SSD on my Lenovo Legion laptop due to 1) saving all my files to it when I was a noob with my laptop a few years back and 2) not managing space and accidentally downloading a rather leg file to my SSD. I keep getting the “:(“ icon and then the...
  8. Performance issues after an upgrade due to System process

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Performance issues after an upgrade due to System process: I am posting this in case it helps anyone else out there that has the same problem as I did. I actually found a lot of places online that were addressing similar issues but all of them panned out except that some of them gave me ideas on how to troubleshoot my problem. This...
  9. Some performance issues after update

Some performance issues after update: After I updated my windows from 1903 to 1909 i got some sudden freezes in my games. For example good old CS:GO runs smooth on 300 fps. But suddenly freezes and fps drops to 70-100 and then goes back to normal. It can happen any time, totally random. There is no exact time...
  10. Could audio latency problem be due to Meltdown and Spectre fixes?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Could audio latency problem be due to Meltdown and Spectre fixes?: I have been experiencing very bad audio latency problems lately, and latencymon confirms that the situation is not good, but I have been unable to find a reason why I am having this issue now when I didn't have it before, given that my hardware hasn't changed. Could the fixes...