Windows 10: Performance issues and unable to launch Chrome after failed system restore

Discus and support Performance issues and unable to launch Chrome after failed system restore in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A few weeks ago, I noticed a significant drop in performance a few days after a Windows update. I first noticed that Terraria, the game I've been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by IHutchinson2, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Performance issues and unable to launch Chrome after failed system restore

A few weeks ago, I noticed a significant drop in performance a few days after a Windows update. I first noticed that Terraria, the game I've been playing recently, went from running at 60FPS constantly to around 30, and other actions on the computer generally felt sluggish. For hardware context, I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15-5577 with an Intel i7-7700 processor, NVIDIA GTX 1050 graphics card, 512GB SSD 60GB free, and 16GB RAM. I followed various online checklists for solving this until I finally one recommendation and performed a system restore, which solved the issue.

Several days ago, I noticed a very similar drop in performance, once again occurring not very long after a windows update, so I performed another system restore, expecting the same results. This time, I booted up to a BSOD error, and every subsequent reboot resulted in the exact same error 0xc000021a. After researching the options available from the troubleshooting startup menu, I decided to undo the latest update. After this was complete I was able to boot up successfully, and the first thing I noticed after logging in was a pop-up saying that the system restore had failed, and it mentioned a particular file from Avast. This hadn't happened the first time, so I don't know if it's due to Avast trying to protect the system from viruses or something else a recent Malwarebytes scan came up clean, so I don't think there was any virus involved. After using the computer for a little bit, I noticed that the performance issues were still there, but now Chrome would not launch. I tried to undo the system to see if that would fix he newer issues, but apparently that also failed, and nothing seemed to change.

At this point, I have decided to hold off on further troubleshooting measures until I can figure out what's going on, and my computer is still running slow. Google Chrome will not launch, and while I can still use Microsoft Edge, it doesn't have any of my passwords or bookmarks saved. I am also noticing audio issues, where something like a YouTube video, sounds from a game, or music from the Amazon desktop player will distort when I am performing other actions on the computer. Furthermore, I have noticed that it I pause a YouTube video and resume it, it will sometimes play at a ridiculously sluggish speed, where it will only go through a couple of frames of the video in a second, and the audio sounds like the distorted result of playing the sound from each frame repeatedly.

If anyone has an idea of what is happening and how I might be able to fix it, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:)

IHutchinson2, Jun 14, 2020
  2. glivo Win User

System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091

Steps taken.
    Part 1/
    Install W10. User -Test (No additional updates. No OEM drivers)
    Create Restore Point -"Pristine"
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    System Restore to RP "Pristine". (Note: Chrome should be gone.)
    Successful. Chrome is gone and Edge reset. ??? Chromesetup file removed from \downloads??? Why???
    New Restore Point - "Undo Restore" created by system.

Step 2/
    D/L and install KB3213986. Reboot.
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    Create Restore Point - "Update 1 Chrome"
    Make a system alteration. Uninstall Chrome.
    System Restore. (Note: Chrome should come back but may not work correctly.)
    Fail. 0x80070091

To me that represents a conclusive result.

The next obvious thing to do was to roll back the Update, assuming that this will fix System Restore. However, rolling back the Update DID NOT restore the functionality of System Restore. So now my confident claim, above, is a bit shaky. If performing the update does in fact cause the issue, removing it doesn't put it right.

So now, the next obvious thing is to perform the WindowsApps rename or deletion process, to apply the fix, and run a series of testing to see if System Restore becomes stable.

Results.
    Performing the WindowsApps rename fix, instead of deleting it this time, once again resulted in System Restore operating correctly. I have been able to install the remaining updates and flip back and forth between Restore Points without issue.

At this point I am done with it. My testing shows that:
    • It is update KB3213986 that causes the problem to occur in the first instance.
    • Rolling back the update does not correct the problem.
    • Performing the known fix returns System Restore functionality.
    • For how long, we don't yet know.

Should you wish to rename the WindowsApps directory rather than delete it, the attrib WindowsApps -h command line can only be performed after the icacls command line.

glivo, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Mohan B P Win User
    Failed to perform System Restore and Reset.

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue with the mouse only during reset/recovery process of the system. Let me assist you.

To assist you better, write back to us with the following information.

• Why exactly you are trying to perform system reset? Are you getting any error code, when trying to perform system reset?

• What is the make and model of your system?

I suggest you to try creating system restore point manually and check if the restore point is visible or not.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17127/windows-back-up-restore

Refer to the section: Create Restore Point.

As you are also unable to perform system reset, I suggest you to try resetting system using windows 10 installation media and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Refer: Reset your PC and Use installation media to restore or reset your PC.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Jun 14, 2020
  4. Performance issues and unable to launch Chrome after failed system restore

Cannot perform a system restore

Hi Cecil,

For us to better assist you with the issue on system restore, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you've performed System restore? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

Performance issues and unable to launch Chrome after failed system restore

1. Performance issues and unable to launch Chrome after failed system restore - Similar Threads - Performance issues unable

2. System Performance Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Performance Issues: Hello there! Please, I need technical help with my laptop computer. It was 5 days ago I last used my computer, and it was working properly then. However, I've been having difficulty using today. I power on the system, and attempt to login, but my keyboard doesn't enter the...
  3. System Performance Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Performance Issues: Hello there! Please, I need technical help with my laptop computer. It was 5 days ago I last used my computer, and it was working properly then. However, I've been having difficulty using today. I power on the system, and attempt to login, but my keyboard doesn't enter the...
  4. System Performance Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. unable to perform a restore - password issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to perform a restore - password issue: I had errors present after I booted. I performed a reset from previous restore point. Computer failed to reboot. Will not let me reset the computer without password. Previous password forgotten Changed the password in Microsoft online from another computer Don't...
  6. Chrome not opening after System Restore

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome not opening after System Restore: This PC is running Winver 1909 (OS Build 18363.1082) The original problem which led to a System Restore on my machine was an Application Error when opening Settings and attempting to use the System control. Initially, Restart appeared to fix it, but it recurred later From...
  7. Sound issues after system restore

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound issues after system restore: Hi, First some computer details: Windows version: Windows 10 Pro 1903 (OS Build 18362.1016) CPU: i7-6700K RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: 1070 I am suffering from having no sound after a system restore. Right after the system restore I had a red cross on the sound icon...
  8. Performance and system issues

Performance and system issues: Hi On my Windows 10 Everytime i install a program. my system file storage seems to accumulate so much space that it leaves hardly anything. is this a microsoft bug that needs to be fixed?? The system files on installation are ~9GB and on any kind of installation ~15GB...
  9. Unable to launch Chrome in Windows 10

Unable to launch Chrome in Windows 10: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and every time I try to launch an app I receive an error meesage stating Adobe creative cloud is needed to repait the error. It has also made my computer very slow at start up...
  10. System restore failing

System restore failing: Im running the latest version of Windows 10 and whenever I try to do a system restore I get this error: “System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and Settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed to extract the original copy of...