Windows 10: Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

Discus and support Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have 230 GB Nvme ssd on my laptop as well as 1TB hdd. I have kept my SSD strictly for windows 10 and software installation. All my downloads, desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by archz2, May 24, 2021.

1. archz2 Win User

Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

I have 230 GB Nvme ssd on my laptop as well as 1TB hdd. I have kept my SSD strictly for windows 10 and software installation. All my downloads, desktop files go straight to HDD. I was having a discussion with my friend who stated that performance of windows installed on SSD significantly speeds up the performance. But whether the software is installed on HDD or SSD, it doesn't make a difference. This did not seem right to me. I feel that software installed on SSD will perform better in comparison to a scenario in which it's installed on HDD. What is the truth?

:)

archz2, May 24, 2021

2. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, May 24, 2021
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Moving an activated key from hdd to ssd

Changing what Windows 10 is installed on doesn't change the licence so HDD > HDD or HDD > SSD will still be activated so long as the rest of the hardware is the same. A Windows 10 licence is registered against the device (motherboard) as long as the same
    edition is installed, Home or Pro.

You will need to clean install to the SSD though, use the Media Creation Tool to create USB install media to install windows to the SSD Download Windows 10 select
    to create media for another PC and select your USB flash drive. (8GB min)

I would suggest disconnecting the HDDs and install with just the SSD connected. All your programs and apps will need to be re-installed once you can boot from the SSD.

You will need to delete windows from the HDD manually deleting folders if you have other software that you want to keep.

neilpzz, May 24, 2021
  4. Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

SSD installed successfully-what to do with HDD

After a week spent (reluctantly) performing BIOS updates, downloading and installing 1803 for Win 10 Pro and tweaking USB functions I was able to clone a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb 2.5 inch drive from a 1tb Toshiba HDD that came with Dell desktop.

The easiest and simplest method to connect the replacement SSD to the motherboard was to re-use the power and data cables and physically remove the HDD. Now I am informed removing the HDD was an error...the drive was working and could easily have been left in place and re-used or re-purposed for other functions. Admittedly, it now does seem to be a waste of working hardware to place the HDD in a plastic bag and leave same in a storage locker.

A few additional/extra SATA cables are available but I have no idea of the steps necessary to re-install and re-use the HDD. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Abe Froman, May 24, 2021
Thema:

Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

1. Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD - Similar Threads - Performance software installed

2. I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD...: I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD and now my data is lost. Please advise on how to get data back?...
  3. I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD...: I installed a SSD and performed a Windows recovery, but it did a recovery on the old HDD and now my data is lost. Please advise on how to get data back?...
  4. Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Performance of software installed on SSD vs HDD: I have 230 GB Nvme ssd on my laptop as well as 1TB hdd. I have kept my SSD strictly for windows 10 and software installation. All my downloads, desktop files go straight to HDD. I was having a discussion with my friend who stated that performance of windows installed on SSD...
  5. terrible performance after replacing my HDD with an SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    terrible performance after replacing my HDD with an SSD: hello! I apologize if this is not the right place to post this but i am in need of assistance, as i have just replaced my old HDD with a new SSD, and have installed windows on it, and the ssd seems to work fine but my performance in games has drastically dropped for some...
  6. HDD vs SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD vs SSD: Hello, I recently bought a new HP laptop. Knew that it had an HDD but wasn't enough to deter me (all other specs were MUCH better than what I was working with otherwise). Went to defrag a few weeks after buying, and apparently defragmentation is unavailable because it shows...
  7. NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison: Today I got the Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb NVMe drive. Previously I was using the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive. The two screenshots below show the difference between Sata 3 based SSD and an NVMe one. [img] [img] So for those of you who are thinking about getting one...
  8. Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance: 2 HDD VS 2 Partitions in 1 HDD: I have C: for OS, D: for my documents. I use for game dev, mostly using Phoshop, Unity Which one of the follow options have better performance? 2 HDD (1 for OS, 1 for documents) 1 HDD 2 Partitions (1 for OS, 1 for documents) 62047
  9. Pre installed software vs Bloatware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pre installed software vs Bloatware: Hi , I have just bought new HP Elitebook x360 1030 G2 , it comes with 1607 windows 10 build , I noticed alot of HP software apps are pre-installed about 15 application ( for security purpose , jump start , remote control , Hot keys ,,,, ) and I have read about windows 10 pro...
  10. Nearly Full SSD VS HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Nearly Full SSD VS HDD: If i were to nearly fill my SSD, and it were to slow down. how would that perform compared to a non full HDD? would it make the SSD slower than the HDD? or would it still be faster? 9133